SkyStar2 - what channels on Astra 19.2E ?

Rod Hulls Aerial

The Lord Lucan Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Star 2 - Motorised
Errr.. thats it.
My Location
The cold and foggy Yorkshire coast..
Hi all, got myself a SkyStar2 (gave up with the St@rkey)
I currently don't have a motorised system and my dish is
currently pointing at 19.2 (all will change when I move..)
Can anyone advise me what encrypted channels I can recieve
on Astra 19.2 ? with the correct soft emulator/s etc ?.
I have both DVB view and ProgDVB and have followed BIGTED's
instructions for progdvb, I have managed to get several encypted
channels decoded but how do I get those "other" channels ?
(MTV and VH1 are decoded plus a few others)
Is it possible to get FreeXtv and the other x channels and is it possible
to recieve the movies from Premiere etc ?
Basically would I be better off pointing at another satellite if I want all this ?
Thanks for your replies !!

EMU

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You've probably got most of what is available on that satellite, you won't get FreeXtv. Hispasat and 1W are good at the moment.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
rolf posting here to avoid crosspost.
You say that the skystar 1 has a video out well that is quite important to me as i need to keep my audio setup to my amp the way it is as it sounds great this way. Only problem now though is that if i buy this athlon 64 motherboard etc and build a new system to decide weather i put the skycard into the new pc or my pentium 3 which is still saying video card not initializing so i give up on the stupid thing but it must be working otherwise i would not be getting any sound coming through my amp.
i guess the athlon could handle the processing side while also running everything else. that was the good thing about the pentamedia, it was not system intensive on resources. what sort of video out connection is it on the skystar 1? ideally i am looking for a scart out to my video as everything goes out from there to the audio in on my amp. where is the best place to buy a skycard 1 for uk? Where would you recommend in other words. i know i could find them but a recommendation is always better. im not just being lazy. thanks in advance :D

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Well i had a quick look around the links from this site and yahoo searched and i did not come up with much.
http://www.satonline.co.uk/pccards.htm this site was selling the skystar 1 and 2 and i have to say its a bit steep in price for what i was expecting. I thought the skystar (i keep calling it a skycard) was about 40 pounds or something but 60 is still not too bad for what you are getting i guess. i think the video out is way too expensive for me, i could buy a sat receiver for that so whats the point but i like the remote control idea thats cool and i already have a sat card its just not capable of emulating. i was wondering whether my cam slot could be used in the skycards? is it a universal cam slot? it looks similar with its serial cable and they are charging 75 quid for one when i already have it. But it seems good that you can record the programs onto your hard drive. is this a good quality result do you know and are there any dropped frames?
I thought maybe i could just convert the files that i record over to maybe divx and play it in a divx dvd player but then i would be spending 100 pounds to do that so that does not make sense or i could make them mpeg and burn onto dvd but that is labour intensive and i cant be a***d :)
so i will just have to accept that the skycard 2 is best all round. surely there must be a way to get the picture out another way rolf? i have a geforce 3 titanium 200 but there are graphic cards out that have tv outputs on them, so could the picture be outputed this way perhaps?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you follow the Skystar2 link at the top or bottom of the forum (they change on every refresh) it will take you to www.Sateuropa.co.uk who are the main distributor for Technisat Skystar products, they also have helped the forum by providing raffle prizes. :) You really don't need the CAM slot with these cards, unless you plan to use a subscription card.

There are a couple of threads where members have discussed the best way of converting recorded files and they seem to produce good results.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Im curious and was wondering could i install the skystar 2 card into my pc but also just leave the pentamedia sat card in the machine aswell instead of removing it so as to keep my sound out to my video scart and out to my amp and hifi speakers? that wouldnt cause any conflict would it? and it would give the best of both worlds assuming i can get the pentamedia to work that is, then i would still have cam access on the penta and emulation on the skystar 2. I may need a new motherboard though as i think i have no slots left to do this. if i buy this skystar and remove the pentamedia i will lose my sound setup and thats something im not preperred to do.
also is it better for you if i click the link to sateuropa from your site or direct? i am assuming that you have code in the html for maybe commission or something as i once did this with amazon when i had my shopping site? are you adding delta to your donation options at any point?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Not convinced as to how well the two would work together mate, you may get a conflict and the CI module would definitely not work for the SS2, can you not use the sound and video out from your sound and video cards?

With regard to the link from here, always good to use the link from here, but there is no commission element, just nice for the advertisers to see that there is traffic coming from their advert.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
cheers rolf :)
im going to make the order now from where you suggested , stuff it i will just have to figure it out later. i miss my tv :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well you know where to come if you require info on the setup, we've probably collectively experienced just about every conceivable problem there is and overcome them. :)

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
rolfw said:
Well you know where to come if you require info on the setup, we've probably collectively experienced just about every conceivable problem there is and overcome them. :)

Well i have placed the order so now there is no going back :)
yes i think i probably can use the video or sound out as i have a soundblaster card and also a geforce titanium t200 so it should hopefully be possible. Now where is that manual :D