Reaction score
Website
www.cenobitewarrriors.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65
My Location
Norfolk
Hi all,

Having read these forums I have been to Lidl's and got the SL65 kit, it is up and on the wall.. so far so good.

I went back to Lidl's and got their Sat-finder kit which not only beeps but also has 5 lights which light up as the signal gets stronger.. much easier than the one which they included in the kit.

Having read through these forums which have been a great help for a novice satellite user like myself I have set the frequency to 10714 and it looks like I have found Astra 28.2 :)

However, I cant seem to get BBC or ITV on it, am I getting totally confused and are these only available on 19.2 ???

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
BBC and ITV are only on 28E. They are not carried on 19.2E

If you scan that transponder(10714H 22000 SR) what channels are you receiving? You should get some ITV channels.

Then by doing an autoscan you should get all available channels.

Daggers

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65
My Location
Norfolk
Yorks said:
BBC and ITV are only on 28E. They are not carried on 19.2E

If you scan that transponder(10714H 22000 SR) what channels are you receiving? You should get some ITV channels.

Then by doing an autoscan you should get all available channels.

Thanks for the reply, I've now got ITV, I can get all of the BBC channels but they show as having a weak signal. Looking at the info the Signal Intensity is 92% and the Signal Quality is between 60-70% but the picture is blocky and says weak signal. Any ideas on that one please?

This is the only problem I've got to solve and I'll be happy :)

UPDATE: I moved the LNB by a mil and it works, got all of the BBC channels and the rest :)

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
Well done.
Yes once you have optimised your signal by moving your dish in horizontal and vertical planes, you can then 'focus the signal further by scewing the Lnb. You will see the signal improve as you rotate to optimum angle and then drop off again when you pass it.

Daggers

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65
My Location
Norfolk
Now that I have my SL65 all hooked up and working, is it possible to swap the receiver for a sky one and still get the FTA channels & FTV if I buy the card?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, a digibox should be fine on that dish and LNB.

PS. moved your post from the other thread, as it was getting confusing.

Daggers

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65
My Location
Norfolk

OK, just got hold of a Thomson DS14214C with the card, I know the card needs to be reactivated or a I need to get a new one.

Plugged the receiver in but it says no signal, the box itself appears to be working as I can get all of the menus, is this a dud or do I have to do something first??
Does it have to be connected to the phone line?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you go into the Services menu, System Setup, Signal test, what does it show?

Daggers

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65
My Location
Norfolk
It says...

Signal Strength - <empty>
Signal Quality - <empty>
Lock Indicator - Not Locked
Network ID - 0000
Transport Stream - 0000

Just as a stab in the dark... the connector on the back of the box is fairly long compared to the SL65, would it be worth redoing the connector to allow more of the cable core through???

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I enjoyed reading this thread daggers. Someone who has taken the trouble to read the info on the forums and then putting it into practice makes everything worthwhile and is really what forums should be about. Well done!:)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, check the connections, one of them must be faulty. :)

Daggers

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65
My Location
Norfolk
Thanks Jimbo... if it wasnt for this forum I would still be stuck up my ladder not knowing where to point my dish ;)

Cheers rolfw... off to change the connector.. will get back to you :)

Daggers

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65
My Location
Norfolk
I extended the cable core until it met with resistance from the box then trimmed back but still no signal :(

Is there a way of doing some sort of reset on these boxes??

The Frequnecy is 11778 (unchangable)
Polar - V
SR - 27.5
FEC - 2/3

The polar, SR, & FEC are changeable but this appears to be the default.. is that correct??

UPDATE:
I have the menus, I can get a sig strength, sig quality, Lock indicator is OK, but still no picture.. says no sat signal :(

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Daggers said:
UPDATE:
I have the menus, I can get a sig strength, sig quality, Lock indicator is OK, but still no picture.. says no sat signal :(

Well that is considerable progress then.... are you using IF connector to TV or a scart?

Hang on you say it is showing signal strength quality and a lock but still no picture? that's odd are you saying there is a blue box displayed on your tv showing no sat signal????

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
What value on the signal strength indicators then, there are definitely blue bars across and a value is displayed?

If you reply in the positive I would have thought the last resort is to do a forced update of the box but only do this as a last resort before chucking the box. It may be better to check the default transponder is set up correctly but I will have to let a. n. other explain about that but there should be threads about it on the forum

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like the default transponder is correct, but if in doubt, you can always reset to factory default.

Daggers

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65
My Location
Norfolk
I cant find anything to turn the box back to factory default, nothing in the settings and no reset switch :(

Went back in to the installation menu and reset everything back to default settings, not getting any signal now :(

Please dont tell me I will have to move the dish, please dont... ;)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Can't remember what the reset is called, but it is at the bottom in the installers menu.

Does your SL65 work if you plug it in where the digibox is? If it does, then it will be the digibox which is fried.

Daggers

Reaction score
Website
My Satellite Setup
Silvercrest SL65
My Location
Norfolk
Took the box down to a neighbours who have a sky dish on the wall, plugged it in and it works no problem.

Looks like I might have to move the dish :(