slow channel change

mesaka

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm based in Frankfurt and have had my sky box for around 5 years (Pace box). When all of the BBC channels moved to 2d I had to install a bigger dish and since then I have some problems when changing from (for arguments sake) Paramount to BBC 1. The channel changes but it might take 3-5 minutes to actually "lock-in" and put up the picture ..... I have TIVO and it sends the codes to change the channel correctly - its just the switching that seems to be the problem.

I have made some tests and the problem seems to be when changing from a channel not on 2D to one that is on that satellite. If I go from BBC2 to BBC1 there is no issue.

Any ideas?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Interesting one, there is a well known problem with some Panasonic receivers, whereby the box generates a spurious 22khz tone and tricks the LNB into staying in high mode. Haven't heard of the same problem with a Pace box however, so not sure what to suggest, do you have access to another digibox or receiver to try?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
If it's a late Pace box with a ZIF tuner it could be the first signs of failure.

Some friends of mine in France have a 2500 and they were getting problems going from C4 to ITV or BBC. The symptoms were exactly as described, a delay in recognising the channel - sometimes having to past the channel and back again to get it recognised.

At first I thought it might have been something to do with the difference in signal strengths between 2D and the other satellites but about 3 months later the tuner failed completely.

PaulR

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Could be a hi/low band switching problem, this explains why when you are on 2D (mostly low band) you can switch amongst them without problems but not from a high band to a low band channel.

I agree that it sounds like the tuner could be dying, but it could also be the LNB not switching properly, have you got another one you could try, or a friends dish you could try your box on?

mesaka

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks for all of the ideas.

I tried a friends box this weekend. The situation was exactly the same. Therefore I discounted anything to do with the box. I additionally tried using the box on a shorter run of cable (its quite a long run now). Here I saw that the situation improved.

I then tried changing the skew. I improved the switching to 2D channels BUT at the expense of the non-2D (in some cases I could no longer get them at all!).

So I am at a bit of a loss to know how to deal with the issue - I am thinking about trying to add a signal booster in the run - but if it is a problem of hi/low switching rather than the signal run will this make things worse?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Try swapping out the LNB, the existing one may be faulty.