SLX Satellite Finder (Meter) Not for Use with...

tonguedv

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised Triax 88 Dish, DP6600 VBox, Dreambox 7020S with 200gb hd, Linksys Router WRT54GS & Linksys Bridge WET54G. ADSL Internet.
My Location
Aberdeen, Scotland
...motorised satellite dishes? What?!!

I just bought this thing cheap off ebay, SLX Satellite Finder. Beeps when I move the dish over various satellites using the positioner. What are the instructions talking about, why does it say on the back of the packet, NB. Not for use with motorised satellite dishes?

It's a cheap meter, costs about £10 - £15, got a needle on it and a little speaker. You know which one I mean I'm sure.

Dave 57N 2W

tonguedv

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised Triax 88 Dish, DP6600 VBox, Dreambox 7020S with 200gb hd, Linksys Router WRT54GS & Linksys Bridge WET54G. ADSL Internet.
My Location
Aberdeen, Scotland
Bummer looks like noone knows. :`(

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry mate, missed the post. :)

It may well be that it doesn't like the 350ma which is likely to flow through it when the motor is turned, can't see any reason why it couldn't go on the LNB side of the motor though.

tonguedv

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Aberdeen, Scotland
Thanks, Rolf!! my hero.. :) Been watching BB or I'd have replied sooner. I just worked out what you said....LNB side....so that means the voltage/current goes from the Receiver to the Vbox and then goes off via the 4 wired cable, to the motor, so the coax coming out of the vbox doesnt have the extra voltage going through it!! Obvious I know, but I wasnt sure the extra current/voltage would end there and not be passed onto the LNB. So you and me are agreed this thing works fine with a motorised install. I was using it LNB side anyway.

Thanks, Rolf, great suggestion, I think that may be why they say it. I knew you wouldnt let me down!! :)))