sm@rtcam for idiots / Problems with Hydra

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I have finally tried the newer version of Hydra (Atlantis) because I was sich having to change the EMUs all the time when going from Taquilla to TPS for instance.
I did not understand how this works, I just can't make it work so it will stay with scam for the scam channels or providers and with something else for the others.

I would be very happy if someone could give me a detailed how to on this, it is driving me insane!!!

TG

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Better still T_G, see if there is a Black Tiger version for your DB, the only EMU it needs is Newcamd.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
rolfw said:
Better still T_G, see if there is a Black Tiger version for your DB, the only EMU it needs is Newcamd.

so how does it deal with sky italy etc?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Hi T_G,

I can get S2 on 19 AND S2 on 13 both working with EITHER newcamd or scam, but you might well need the latest versions.

Have you got the s*ftcam menu with the 'sticky' buttons on it?

Exactly wot version are you on? I'm not sure it compares directly with the 7000S.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Newcamd I'm using gets them all with no switching and was getting Conax as well until it changed.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I updated scam and newcamd yesterday, only for the hell of it, as the old ones worked fine (as do the new ones) with both S2 packages. I find the 'sticky' business a real load of pants. Totally illogical.

As I remember it, you have to switch to the channel/provider you want to differ from the default CAM, change the default cam to the one you want for those channels, set both channel and package buttons to 'stick' and hit the green button. Then, make sure you 'unstick' the channel and the package buttons, set the default CAM back to what you want it to be, and hit the green button.

You end up with your default CAM back how it was, but when you switch to your non-standard channel, it starts the other CAM, and reports 'starting othercam (sticky)'.

Go figure :rolleyes:

Programmers. Can't design sh1t!

MacAddict

Reaction score
rolfw said:
The Newcamd I'm using gets them all with no switching and was getting Conax as well until it changed.
hmm I can only get sly italy to open with scam and not newcamd, have latest as available from hydra control panel. I do find the switching to sticky a bit annoying but does not upset me. TG you dont have a 7000s ?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
MacAddict said:
hmm I can only get sly italy to open with scam and not newcamd, have latest as available from hydra control panel. I do find the switching to sticky a bit annoying but does not upset me. TG you dont have a 7000s ?

Naaah I got the small 5620. And I switched back to the old Hydra Dianne. That one at least works better. I will wait until something reasonable comes along....

I would try to insert the newcam into the Hydra, but don't know how and don't know what files I need. Maybe someone could help me here??

MacAddict

Reaction score
T_G said:
Naaah I got the small 5620. And I switched back to the old Hydra Dianne. That one at least works better. I will wait until something reasonable comes along....

I would try to insert the newcam into the Hydra, but don't know how and don't know what files I need. Maybe someone could help me here??
you should get 5.14 newcamd through control panel. I am still not sure why the switch bothers you if you made the providers stick on an emu.

spock_uk

Reaction score
My Location
NE England
Hi all, My dreambox arrived on Friday, after work I took it out of Box, :D replaced my trusty Humax 5300 with it and switched on.:cool:
1 hour later I put the latest official image on 1.08. Didn't do a great deal but my home network works (DHCP on latest image):cool:
I thought, I'll put on the latest Hydra image (atlantis 108_final) while I'm having my tea. :rolleyes:
and look at some decrypted channels later.
Shit, it loaded BUT I couldn't get a signal over the Sat!! any Sat!
It was working before .. all Satellites..
Shit!! What have I done wrong? I reflashed the image and...
same again... Tried another image RUDream (108_rd_v20040723.1449 )
This was better.. but... time for bed 1.00 am!

Next morning...early oh! the excitement:D

Still problems with the network and the so I tried another image
(hydra7000_olympia) No satellites again... :confused

Put the official release back on (after checking the motor is OK by installing the trusty Humax box again)
This works... got all Sats.
F**k it, I'll try a different image (emu_rel108_040702.img)

worked, but problem with the network...

I'm now trying the next image (SF Team img v108_8 for DB7000 02/07/2004) and it seems to be working OK All satellites set . As I'm writing this it is doing a all transponder scan on all satellites.
The question I have is about these large birds (EMUs). Just how do they work within the images?
Well no-one said it was going to be easy!!
Thanks in advance. I just love these Dreamboxes. Luckily I have nothing else to do and no wife!!:D

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Well, sounds like you now have more experience than all of us put together! :)

I'm guessing, but I think that Altantis 1.08 Final is the most popular, so why not get it sorted?

After flashing, you need to press and hold the top left button on the Dreambox as soon as the Hydra boot-up logo appears. Keep it pressed until you get the 'flash erase' message on the LCD, then set up from scratch. Make sure to get the motor settings set up right from the word go (in the initial setup).

STICK

MacAddict

Reaction score
I am trying ruCannon 5 today, so far so good. stable and channel switching time has improved over the hydra atlantis. Also much more settings to play with and I like the keys layout and fonts :D. With this image, newcamd seems to open most of what i want so less of the annoying emu switch.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Hi m8,

Is the emu-sticky config. just as bad, or is it better in this image?

Wot's the online update like... easy as Hydra?

:-cheers

spock_uk

Reaction score
My Location
NE England
Well since then I've reloaded the image 8 times via null modem (I was doing some ironing) I thought I'd cracked it when SF teanms image decided to try and move the motor to 146 W. Well it hits the wall at 55W so I had to pull the plug... and then put another image in... not receiving the signal... and then the official release 1.08 worked perfect..., so another image... I'm trying ruCannon 5 how, see that goes... I'm getting a bit p****d of now and thinking of sending it back. But then I think "well, it's only a computer" "I CAN fix it...". I do build and fix old computers so I know it s**t job, but I do enjoy it. Well I'll tell you all about ruCannon (will it work this time. The tension is killing me.

Later

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Whoa, that's given me a headache just reading it. Too much, too many. Must... lie.... down.... O-no

MacAddict

Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:
Hi m8,

Is the emu-sticky config. just as bad, or is it better in this image?

Wot's the online update like... easy as Hydra?

:-cheers
came with keys

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Wot I mean is, can you update the keys over the internet using the menus/remote? :)

MacAddict

Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:
Wot I mean is, can you update the keys over the internet using the menus/remote? :)
yes, aslo comes with keys viwer, converter and maybe an editor too. So far I am impressed by the 'expert' options. Therfe is a card sharing emu in there too. I asmue with a server IP already added ;). Not tried that though and I am not sure if I will.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hey Spok

Just a short one: It seems all the images other than the original one have issues with the automatic searching etc. I put mine in manually and then store the position...

It is not the dreambox but more likely the images.

I am trying tomorrow the first I have a Dreambox image for 56xx!! If they are as good as the 7000 then I am going to be a happy chap!!

TG

spock_uk

Reaction score
My Location
NE England
Just to keep you up to date with my installation of a Dreambox DM7000S

1) The std image is great. works fine & set up is easy. Good network. Finds all Sats and all channels a joy to use BUT no softcams, so no good to me O-no
2) Non standard images are "difficult" :D
3) I have tried to install all of the major ones aand a few lesser known ones.
4) ruCannon is easiest to use (softcam use etc) network settings are poor based on 1.07 release but overall v.good
5) Hydra 1.08 Final. Excellent, Good network set up. Fairly easy Sat setup. Fair softcam reasonable for all channel viewing

I have reinstalled with null modem a total of 15 times so I feel I know a little about setting a dreambox up from scratch (and I haven't even looked at the system itself. It has just crashed the system again, but I tink that was my fault, pissing about with the remote between channels and favorites and the likes. I am reinstalling Hydra again, as that's the best one for me as far as setting up is concerned.

A question
How can I save all the Satellite settings and channels so I can just reload them on after it crashes and I have to reflash.
It not auto find the Satellites and I have to manually set them.
I have a hardisk 120 MB fitted. Can I save the setting to that as a backup? or by FTP?

spock_uk
Why do it the easy way when there is a more hard way?
Its does not compute ...