Smart Maximus Portable Receiver

GarethB

Reaction score
I am a complete beginner!! I've bought a Smart Maximus digital receiver, dish & LNB and I have not a clue how to set it up. It's basically for use on a boat where we can't get good terrestial signals (moored-up of course). The unit is pre-programmed with several sats and is originally German. All I want right now is to get some free-to-view programmes like BBC. Can someone help please? Gently and in short stages as I really am clueless!
Thanks
Gareth

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
GarethB said:
I am a complete beginner!! I've bought a Smart Maximus digital receiver, dish & LNB and I have not a clue how to set it up. It's basically for use on a boat where we can't get good terrestial signals (moored-up of course). The unit is pre-programmed with several sats and is originally German. All I want right now is to get some free-to-view programmes like BBC. Can someone help please? Gently and in short stages as I really am clueless!
Thanks
Gareth
Welcome GarethB
So let me get this straight. You moor the boat, get out a tripod with a dish on it and spend some considerable time setting up the dish to receive signals using a sat meter, (whilst the wife does the cooking Yeh) hope that there is minimal wind and go on board and watch sat TV. Following morning put all kit back on board, travel then repeat process. Sounds like a labour of love to me !!!
I think you may be biting off more than you can chew at this stage of your education. Is this really feasible???? Is there something missing in my education here. Is there a piece of kit that will keep a dish locked onto a satellite????
Where do I start?????
If you want the BBC then you have got to be on 28.2 degrees Astra 2. Unless you are happy with BBC world
I would say that you need to get this assembly up and running at home before doing anything and practice setting up the dish many times in your back garden and other locations before anything as you are going to need some aids to setting up the mobile dish. How will you get the dish level?, how will you know where true south is?. Perhaps the more experienced members can answer some of these fundamental issues.
I wish you luck O-no