Smart Titanium TSX LNB

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
Likvid said:
I can tell that Invacom Twin C120 is much better than the Invacom Single.

The MTI AP8-TW is only better than the Invacom on low freq vertical channels.

In other frequencies the MTI suffers really bad.

I have also tried them against the SMW X-Line with custom optional LO +/- 1MHz and the SMW is much better than both, i think i posted the results a few months back.
Could you re- post these results or give us a link to where the posting was?
Is this SMW expensive?

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
snap said:
Could you re- post these results or give us a link to where the posting was?
Is this SMW expensive?

Yes, but the SMW is not a C120 LNB and they don't make anyone either so either you need a polarizer of some sort or buy two SMW and a OMT like i have installed on my dish.

They are about three times the price of the Invacom Twin, about 150 euro or something last time i checked.

From a older thread i posted in:

OK, i have conducted the SMW tests now and i can say SMW performs about 3-4% better in C/N compared to MTI, here is Invacom the worst LNB, lagging almost 6-7% behind SMW on the vertical transponders.

I have mounted the SMW LNB directly to the feedhorn with a quarterwave transformer between the feed and LNB to get better VSWR overall.

All i can say that the signal on 10.906V is pending between 37-41%, i have a picture but it is little pixelized.

The threshold of the receiver is just around 40% so i would need about 4% more signal and it would be perfect, however i can't get more signal out of this antenna, it's maximized.

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
steffan_st said:
Sounds like a good idea Branson,don't forget to post the result! ;)

I have installed the Smart titanium 0.2 with IRTE feedhorn,on a 1.8 pf dish.
results are ok,but nothing special,its good on vertical transponders,but not on the horizontal transponders.
It pulls in the BBC throughout the day time,but drops off completely at about
19-00 hrs.
With an Invacom quad and Invacom adjustable feed horn,i can receive BBC till 21-00 hrs before it breaks up.
Conclusion,i think the Invacom has much better performance on the Horizontal transponders.
I have tried to post some photos,but i am having some problems,seems that the file is too large,but i will keep trying.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
dave branson said:
I have installed the Smart titanium 0.2 with IRTE feedhorn,on a 1.8 pf dish.
results are ok,but nothing special,its good on vertical transponders,but not on the horizontal transponders.
It pulls in the BBC throughout the day time,but drops off completely at about
19-00 hrs.
With an Invacom quad and Invacom adjustable feed horn,i can receive BBC till 21-00 hrs before it breaks up.
Conclusion,i think the Invacom has much better performance on the Horizontal transponders.
I have tried to post some photos,but i am having some problems,seems that the file is too large,but i will keep trying.

I'm a little surprised by your results I must say,2 hours more of watching with the Invacom is rather much! What brand is your dish by the way?

Don't you think it would be worth a try to fit the Titanium to the Invacom feedhorn?

I've had some problems uploading pics to this forum as well but if you take the pics in 640*480 resolution it shouldn't be a problem!

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
Hi Steffen
I have tried it with the Invacom feedhorn,the results were about the same.
i will try to upload the photos,i uploaded them direct from the camera to my laptop,and they are in a matrix of other photos,i am trying to isolate the relevent ones,when i attach it to this reply, it says too much and will not attach.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
dave branson said:
Hi Steffen
I have tried it with the Invacom feedhorn,the results were about the same.
i will try to upload the photos,i uploaded them direct from the camera to my laptop,and they are in a matrix of other photos,i am trying to isolate the relevent ones,when i attach it to this reply, it says too much and will not attach.

You can resize the pictures in Office Picture Manager in the MS Office Suite easily.

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
Here is a picture,will try to send more later

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
More photos of the Smart LNB, I have more if anyone is interested.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
dave branson said:
Here is a picture,will try to send more later

You have any picture without the feedhorn attached so we can see how you have attached it to the feed?

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
Likvid said:
You have any picture without the feedhorn attached so we can see how you have attached it to the feed?

With the IRTE feedhorn is just a push in fit to the Smart intregated feedhorn,
bit of super glue and tape.
With the Invacom feed,i removed the matching flange from the Invacom LNB
mated it with the Smart,fixed it with super glue,and bolted the feedhorn back on,its quite easy,you just have to make sure that everything is straight.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
dave branson said:
With the IRTE feedhorn is just a push in fit to the Smart intregated feedhorn,
bit of super glue and tape.
With the Invacom feed,i removed the matching flange from the Invacom LNB
mated it with the Smart,fixed it with super glue,and bolted the feedhorn back on,its quite easy,you just have to make sure that everything is straight.

You like the IRTE dish?

How do you think it compares to other 1.8M dishes?

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
Likvid said:
You like the IRTE dish?

How do you think it compares to other 1.8M dishes?

To be quite honest,i really dont know after the change from Astra 2a to 2d
by the BBC,i asked a local dealer to install a 2 meter dish,it actually measures
1.954cm,so i natually assumed it to be a 2m dish,only after it was installed and by gaining knowledge on the net,i realised it was a 1.8,the dealer used a footprint of 2d,which indicated 1.8 for this part of Italy,(50klms south of Florence) in Pisa ect,and North of Florence you can receive BBC on a 1.5 dish,
so i was not concerned too much,as i could get it 95% of the time.
It was about 1 year ago the Satellite relocated its position,so at the moment its ok from early morning till early evening,picture quality during this period is 50-55%,after about 21-00 using the Invacom it breaks up on all transponders.
With the Smart,the last couple of evenings about 19-00 it starts to go.
Most likely a bigger dish would do the trick,but the cost is restrictive to replace the existing dish.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
Hey Dave!

Haven't you cut the feed off the Titanium before you attached it to the feedhorn?!? The waveguides are supposed to mate with a diameter as close to each other as possible,otherwise you can have a standing wave problem!

I don't say it would get better but I think so.The conversions I have made that way works very well,for example I cut an Interstar GI-201 and mated it with another feed (cd-80),used it on my Gibertini,the increase was 14 % on Astra 2d!!!

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
steffan_st said:
Hey Dave!

Haven't you cut the feed off the Titanium before you attached it to the feedhorn?!? The waveguides are supposed to mate with a diameter as close to each other as possible,otherwise you can have a standing wave problem!

I don't say it would get better but I think so.The conversions I have made that way works very well,for example I cut an Interstar GI-201 and mated it with another feed (cd-80),used it on my Gibertini,the increase was 14 % on Astra 2d!!!

Interestig,no i did not cut off the existing smart feed,the 120 flange on the Feedhorn pushed into the first scalar ring of the smart,with atight fit,thought that would be ok.
Likvid sent me a german website,with a picture of an example,i just followed that.
As i have a couple of these smarts,i will cut one up and see what happens then,in the meantime i am thinking of going back to the Invacom route.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
dave branson said:
Interestig,no i did not cut off the existing smart feed,the 120 flange on the Feedhorn pushed into the first scalar ring of the smart,with atight fit,thought that would be ok.
Likvid sent me a german website,with a picture of an example,i just followed that.
As i have a couple of these smarts,i will cut one up and see what happens then,in the meantime i am thinking of going back to the Invacom route.

Have you thought about going my route?

I use two SMW LNBs and SMW OMT and get really good results compared to the Invacom and MTI LNB i also have.

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
Likvid said:
Have you thought about going my route?

I use two SMW LNBs and SMW OMT and get really good results compared to the Invacom and MTI LNB i also have.

Willing to try,but i would need your help with how to fix it to the dish ect,
and also where to get one from.
I understand that you have to fit transformers and things which go bump in the night,as they say.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
dave branson said:
Willing to try,but i would need your help with how to fix it to the dish ect,
and also where to get one from.
I understand that you have to fit transformers and things which go bump in the night,as they say.

But you have the original Invacom feedhorn right?

Then it is easy to fix, you just screw the OMT to the feed as you did with the LNB you have now.

I would suggest a C120/C120 adapter between the feed and OMT also so you get that sorted out.

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
Likvid said:
But you have the original Invacom feedhorn right?

Then it is easy to fix, you just screw the OMT to the feed as you did with the LNB you have now.

I would suggest a C120/C120 adapter between the feed and OMT also so you get that sorted out.

Yes i have an Invacom feedhorn,any info/pictures would be appreciated,withregards to adaptors,links to SMW.ect

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
dave branson said:
Yes i have an Invacom feedhorn,any info/pictures would be appreciated,withregards to adaptors,links to SMW.ect

omt1.jpg

feed21.jpg

www.smw.se

I can't tell prices here on the forum as i buy for trade prices.

PM and you get an idea how much this cost.