SMS/shorthand

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
I was intrigued by a recent post that seemed to suggest that the peculiar form of shorthand now infesting the net originates with the constraints of SMS.

Things like

ne = any
ne1 = anyone
m8 = mate
b4 = before
u = you
ur = your
thx = thanks
pls = please

I guess the same thing may lay behind the increasing number of posts which consist of one long unpunctuated, uncapitalised, ungrammatic sentance. Things like "im new 2 this can u hlp pls i dont no me rrr from me lbo thx m8"

Is the take-up of SMS really behind this, or are we simply turning into a community of illiterates?

And while we're on the subject, does anyone know why the underground net community has this obsession with the letter "z"?

Ur thoughts plz.

twoold

J

Jim

Interesting comment from someone with a name like 2old4this!

Good idea for a forum though inspite of being just *21*.

Jim

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
*21* ?
Is that one of those twee little underground boys-own secret jargon missives like S*T or Ird*t* ? ;)

twooldfourthiz

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Funnily enough one of the main exponents of the asterix is Digital Forums, they automatically asterix out any word like Sky or Iredeto.

Christ, just a thought, if they start doing it to SMS speak, there won't be any thing left :)

Rolf

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
I think I'm gonna start writing Sasterisky and Irdasterisktasterisk just to get on everyone's titz.
If I've got the energy I'll throw in the odd Vasteriskaccasteriskss too.

2@!d

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Am I to take it, gentlemen, that this is the quite corner - where moderator's learn to speak the language of youth ?

Thing is, how does lingo work in non-english speaking countries ? Zweialt, tweeoud - that kind of thing. You will have to write some dutch SMS stuff for us :-)

Anyway, its not very encouraging when tweeoud, knows more about SMS lingo than I do/should (I am obviously passed-it at 33).

Regardless, I want nothing to do with it: I can't stand mobiles, cell's or handy's - I want my pager back :-(

Have fun,

Mark.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
kheb geen id hoe je smst in het ndls zou dit oid zn maar weet knie maw ben nml te oud
mvg teoud
:-tired

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
>Je hebt te veel tijd man.
>

Shouldn't that be - "Je bent veel (too) oud man"

Need to improve my Dutch.

Have Fun,

Mark.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
In the old days we didn't have SMS and email and computers and rapists. If only young folk today would spend less time fiddling with their widgets and more time inviting themselves into other peoples' homes.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
"If only young folk today would spend less time fiddling with their widgets and more time inviting themselves into other peoples' homes."

Yes I totally agree, my cousin now makes a very good living inviting himself into other people's homes, unfortunately the police frown on it. :)

Rolf

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Laugh-out-loud :-)

Mark.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-Aug-01 AT 08:03 PM (GMT)[/font][p]pls read old posts here this was covrd b4 not all laptps work its hit&miss what opsys r u using mayb thats ur problm m8 2old

Naughty Naughty 2old. :-rollen