SMW setup with problems

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
I have installed an SMW lnb setup,which i am sure is wrong,I think i have got it Upside Down,I can only get Vertical Transponders when the disq is set to disq 1,no horizontals,and only a few horizontals,when the Disq is set to Disq 2 no verticals,looking to Likvid and co to help me on this one.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Ok.

Problem is that these LNBs change between low and high band with 13 and 18Volt so you need to get that going correctly first.

Universal LNBs like Invacom and all the rest uses the 13/18V for changing polarity.

One SMW LNB is for vertical pol, and the other SMW LNB is for horizontal pol.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I see the waveguide elbow you mounted also, i don't see any reason to have it as it is blocking as much of the reflector as you would have it bolted straight to the OMT.

You should have gotten a H-bend which would mean both LNBs would point upwards and not block the reflector.

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
Likvid said:
Ok.

Problem is that these LNBs change between low and high band with 13 and 18Volt so you need to get that going correctly first.

Universal LNBs like Invacom and all the rest uses the 13/18V for changing polarity.

One SMW LNB is for vertical pol, and the other SMW LNB is for horizontal pol.

So the installation as per the photo is ok?any idea how to set the 13 and 18volt on the receiver?also do you have to skew the LNB,s.

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
Likvid said:
I see the waveguide elbow you mounted also, i don't see any reason to have it as it is blocking as much of the reflector as you would have it bolted straight to the OMT.

You should have gotten a H-bend which would mean both LNBs would point upwards and not block the reflector.

Thats what i thought,after studying the OMT data sheet this morning,I installed the bend on the wrong flange.

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
This is how I bolted everything together,I will change it so that both LNB,s point down.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
dave branson said:
So the installation as per the photo is ok?any idea how to set the 13 and 18volt on the receiver?also do you have to skew the LNB,s.
Yes that's what i said before you bought it that your receiver needs to support 13/18V switching of Low and High band.

Yes you skew it as any other LNB to peak the signal.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
dave branson said:
This is how I bolted everything together,I will change it so that both LNB,s point down.

Down?

Then you still block the reflector, they should point upwards from the reflector to minimize blockage.

You need a H-bend for that as you have a E-bend now.

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
The manual for the receiver,states LNB power as Vertical 13volt and 18volts for the Horizontal with 22kHz tone,is that not ok?
The OMT30 data sheet states"Bend for the vertical polarization(both LNB,s point staight down)"which is the one i ordered.
I can reverse the bend so that they both point upwards(to the sky) I assume this will be ok.
what i do receive at the moment,the performance is great,only got slight breakup about midnight on the verticals,with the Invacom they break up about 19-00 hrs.

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
Likvid
The manual for the receiver states the following''
Low frequency/High frequency 'quote" you should set this value according to
the low/high oscillator frequency of your LNB device(by default 9750 low 10600 high for universal LN:cool: on the receiver i can change these values in the menu.
does this mean i have to change them for these SMW LNBS ?what would the values be?any ideas.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
dave branson said:
The manual for the receiver,states LNB power as Vertical 13volt and 18volts for the Horizontal with 22kHz tone,is that not ok?
The OMT30 data sheet states"Bend for the vertical polarization(both LNB,s point staight down)"which is the one i ordered.
I can reverse the bend so that they both point upwards(to the sky) I assume this will be ok.
what i do receive at the moment,the performance is great,only got slight breakup about midnight on the verticals,with the Invacom they break up about 19-00 hrs.

As the SMW is Wideband LNBs they operate with 13/18V to change between lower freq band and higher band.

Polarisation is alread sorted as you have vertical on one OMT port and horizontal on the other OMT port.

What you need to fix is to change between high and low band with 13/18V.

You need a receiver that can run a Wideband LNB as well.

Yes that is good if both point towards the sky.

The problem is that when you now change polarisation with the receiver the LNBs change bands instead;)

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
dave branson said:
Likvid
The manual for the receiver states the following''
Low frequency/High frequency 'quote" you should set this value according to
the low/high oscillator frequency of your LNB device(by default 9750 low 10600 high for universal LN:cool: on the receiver i can change these values in the menu.
does this mean i have to change them for these SMW LNBS ?what would the values be?any ideas.

No that is for Universal LNBs i beleive.

What receiver are we talking about?

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
The receiver is a SAB 710 CI,but i also have a Samsung 9500 CI and a Coship
5300 CI plus a couple of others,including a HUMEX/ID,i will check out the specs tonight.
Regarding the position of the LNB,s,just to be clear(I am a bit stupid sometimes) should these be below the Feedhorn or on top,ie bottom(ground)
or top(sky) side.
Thanks for the interest,really appreciate it.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Should look like this

Also i think you should try the setup without the bend as the bend is having some insertion loss of 0.1dB

normal_Sch_18.JPG

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
@dave branson
Is that an XLNB E? My SMW catalogue gives the LOFs for this one the same as a Universal.

As Likvid says, you just need a receiver with the facility to switch bands by voltage, not Diseqc.

Llew

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Llew said:
@dave branson
As Likvid says, you just need a receiver with the facility to switch bands by voltage, not Diseqc.

Llew

The Triple Dragon is excellent in that aspect, just modify the .dat file for whatever you need. :D

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
Yes it'll depend on what choices are available in the LNB list of daveb's receiver. For sure, the Universal option will not work (Diseqc switching).

Wideband would use voltage switching, but not sure if this would work together with Diseqc port switching of the two LNB's?

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Llew said:
Wideband would use voltage switching, but not sure if this would work together with Diseqc port switching of the two LNB's?

Can't answer that as there are few receivers these days that supports Wideband LNBs.....

I asked SMW if they could change to band switching thru 22KHz instead in the production......

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Great LNB's but haven't changed much it appears since I had one in the early '90's :(

Another point is, port switching in most receivers is done by configuring each satellite to a port, not for V/H switching.

Llew

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
The two SMW LNB,S are X line type E,
Frequency range 10.7-11.7/11.7-12.75 GHz
LO frequency band 1 =9.75 GHz
LO frequency band 2 =10.75
Output frequency band 1 950-1950
Output frequency band 2 950-2000
I checked the technical spec of a Samsung 9500A CI Receiver which I have,
under the Tuner section it states "13v/18volt switching" 22kHz continuous tone control.
Do you think this will be ok?
Maybe I should just use one of the LNB,s.
Thanks for all the info/help