Snr Agc

Henrik007

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Been fooling around with the dish a little,

Now I just can´t seem to get any satellite in focus.

Get a SNR around 45% and AGC around 90% wherever I point the damn thing.

Before changing everything; anybody with similar problem? Is this a sign of bad contacts or broken LNB?

If I remove the cable on the DB, I still get 45%SNR...

I´ve searched the forum, found similar treads but none that explains the 45%SNR.

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Spiderbox 9000HD, Super DARK MOTOR, 80cm Dish, SKY+ HD, HTPC w/7MC
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
this maybe wrong but i dont think it means anthing.

mine says 45 when between sats.

i'd say youve buggered up the dish alignment, just have to keep buggering till ya get it right again. aim for bbcworld 1w, i always find that easy to get.

Henrik007

Reaction score
homerjay said:
this maybe wrong but i dont think it means anthing.

mine says 45 when between sats.

i'd say youve buggered up the dish alignment, just have to keep buggering till ya get it right again. aim for bbcworld 1w, i always find that easy to get.

That´s what I´m trying, and I´ve used that satellite before. So I know app where it should point. But nothing changes the signal-reading; it´s flashing 44-46 %. I´ll try with a direct connection from LNB to DB and see if I get a change in the reading.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi All,

The 45% SNR with no signal is normal for a Dreambox (I've just switched my LNB feed over from the DB to my analogue RX while watching SatFind in DB setup). In this condition it also gives an AGC reading of 9%-11%. I realise that this is with no LNB connected and the level would be higher if one were connected, even with no sat signal present.
However 90% AGC sounds very high. I've only got 66% when I reconnect the LNB (and 83% SNR)!!

Sounds to me like the LNB may be unwell. Can you try another one?

73 & good luck.

Henrik007

Reaction score
td03-5 said:
Hi All,

The 45% SNR with no signal is normal for a Dreambox (I've just switched my LNB feed over from the DB to my analogue RX while watching SatFind in DB setup). In this condition it also gives an AGC reading of 9%-11%. I realise that this is with no LNB connected and the level would be higher if one were connected, even with no sat signal present.
However 90% AGC sounds very high. I've only got 66% when I reconnect the LNB (and 83% SNR)!!

Sounds to me like the LNB may be unwell. Can you try another one?

73 & good luck.

I just got a LNB and a fresh cable. We have snowy conditions at the moment but i should try it tomorrow. Is there any way to check if LNB is broken?
Thank you for confirming the 45% being "normal".

Henrik

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi henrik,

Just for test purposes, hook the new LNB up to the Dreambox F-type socket and see what you get (obviously with no signal) as an AGC level. Although I can't be sure I would have expected no more than say 20%, maybe 30% absolute max, under these no signal conditions.

Give it a try and let's know what you get?

73 & good luck.

Henrik007

Reaction score
td03-5 said:
Hi henrik,

Just for test purposes, hook the new LNB up to the Dreambox F-type socket and see what you get (obviously with no signal) as an AGC level. Although I can't be sure I would have expected no more than say 20%, maybe 30% absolute max, under these no signal conditions.

Give it a try and let's know what you get?

73 & good luck.

Did this, and guess what... no change. i also put my hand over the LNB, as another advice I got, but no change. I don´t trust the satfind anymore, i don´t trust LNB´s, I dont trust the Coax-Cable... Also been trying out different images, since i dont trust them either.

I will buy a new LNB tomorrow and try, because I´m not 110% sure I have a working LNB.

homerjay

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Spiderbox 9000HD, Super DARK MOTOR, 80cm Dish, SKY+ HD, HTPC w/7MC
My Location
Chorley, Lancs
i was in your shoe's not long ago, so i bought a new lnb, only to realise my elevation was not quite right and my old lnb was fine.

problem with dish alignment is that such a simple procedure cant be be a right arse sometimes...

joe publik

Reaction score
Beg, borrow or buy a satellite meter, invaluable for setting up a dish, you'll find the sats much *much* easier. I use mine all the time tweaking the odd +/-0.5% signal on 7W ...

Dependant on what dish size you have, you may have to be more accurate with your pointing, bigger dish needs to be more acurate etc. I have a 1M and the margin between a good/bad signal can sometimes be very slight.

13E,19E,28E boom into Europe, you should have no difficulty finding *them* ...

Sorry if I am stating the obvious ...

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Mmmm, I can get 45 snr and 90 agc by moving my dish slightly off satellite (to my great aggravation...)

Henrik007

Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:
Mmmm, I can get 45 snr and 90 agc by moving my dish slightly off satellite (to my great aggravation...)

Thanks for your concerns gentlemens,

purchased a little beeping tool for app. 10EUR today. Took me 5 minutes to find all the sats i wanted. The lesson learned; Don´t use the satfind program! Maybe to fine-tune when a sat is localized, but not to find one in the sky.

Henrik

mlkerr123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 7072
XCcube
My Location
UK
great to know i am not on my own, i cant get any reading on AGC at all an no picture anywere

mlk