Solid Dish or Meshed?

pl4ya

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS2
Mediaportal
Hi

I live in the southeast of England, I have an 80cm mesh dish up on a moteck motor, some of the channels on Astra 19.2 seem to break up a little, also I wanted to try maybe get nilesat and a few others. I just bought a raven Gemini 90cm dish did not realise it was a solid dish.

The question is are solid dishes better?

And will I get better reception with this dish, over my 80cm meshed dish and humax universal 0.4 lnb.

Thanks

pl4ya

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Oh Yes ......

You will find a marked improvement in reception if you set up the 90 properly (slowly and with care) . Solid dishes are like for like much better than their mesh counterparts and with an extra 10cm dia you should be happy with the results.

L.

pl4ya

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS2
Mediaportal
Kool Thanks Lancelot, I'll climb up the ladder and swap the dish in bit :).

Cheers

pl4ya

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would also add that you should be getting uninterupted and solid reception from Astra19.2 with an 80cm dish of almost any description, so when you fit the Raven, make sure that you check the motor settings and dish alignment, there is probably something awry.

pl4ya

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS2
Mediaportal
My dish alignment was out a little, but with the solid dish its made a pretty big difference, I am getting about 90-100% signal and strength on Astra 28.2 Eurobird1, hotbird, Thor and most channels on Astra 19.2.

I suppose the downside of a solid dish is if you get strong wind you may get some problems.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Depends on the structural integrity of the mount and motor

If its all built to withstand the wind, it will always be better.

No doubt someone on here will voice the opinions of a mesh, but most Ive installed flex in the wind and so the focus goes all pear shaped anyway in bad weather.

A convert I hope ?

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
pl4ya said:
I live in the southeast of England, I have an 80cm mesh dish up on a moteck motor, some of the channels on Astra 19.2 seem to break up a little

I'm in south-central UK, running a 60cm mesh dish pointed at Hotbird 13E, with an offset side arm for 19.2E - no problems with break ups.... (Humax 0.3 LN:cool: I guess signal strength is around 60-70%.

-cts