Some more guidance please

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello All

Still 'edykating' myself and another bit of clarification needed.

What is the difference between Keys and Codes.

I see some sites that have downloadable .zip files containg .exe files and data files with pages and pages of numbers.

Other sites have Keys which just seem to contain a single line of two didget codes for each provider per month.

What is the significance of these two sets of 'codes/keys'.

Regards

W Hole

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Only the term "key" has a well-defined meaning. People use the term "code" willy-nilly to refer to a whole bunch of different things, including keys.

Keys are the hexadecimal strings used by the card to decrypt the transmission. Usually 8 bytes long.

The most common use of the term "code" is oin referring to a translation of those keys into a different format suitable typically for entering into a CAM or card using the remote-control (which only has decimal - not hexadecimal - digits available to it).

But as I said - don't pay too much attention to the term "codes".

2old

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
So lets see if I have got this right?

Each provider has a set of Keys per period - mostly monthly - which are published normally for current and following month when available.

These consist of a series of single line Hex numbers.

On some sites the Keys appear as simple listings with current and following periods codes listed per. provider.

On others the Keys for a group of provider's/periods are posted as 'hex files' . e.g. A1.03 would have 9 providers and A1.05 would have 15 etc.

These 'hex files' are then used by various software programmes to download the Keys to the cards.

Have I got it?

Regards

W Hole.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
just to be clear...

the "hexfiles" you refer to are program and data files which are loaded onto the chip(s) of a wafer card. The structure and operation of those files is a more or less arbitrary design decision of the person/hacker who created the software. In practise, most filesets consist of a file for the main program chip (eg PIC16f84) and a data file for the secondary chip (eg 24c16 EEPROM). In that case, it is almost always the case that the file for the eeprom cotains the provider and key data, with the program file containing the logic for using those keys (and for controlling features like remote-update, anti-reset, etc.).
The keys/idents/etc contained in the eeprom data file (whether it is formatted as a "hex" file or a "bin" file) are the same as you see published in lists.

2old

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello OM

Thanks for reply.

Think I've got it now!

Kind regards

W Hole