Someone knows where to find out about dslams, etc?

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
str8 frum da wesside innit?
Hi folks,

I'm meaning to find out what this means:

cable.ubr03.newy.blueyonder.co.uk

i've got reasons to believe it's in Newcastle, do any of you know of a database/website that can explain what every code in this ip adress means?

cheers for any tips ;)

ouagadougou

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2m NERA Prime Focus Dish for C/ku Bands, DM500, SkyStar2, Technomate 5500CIP, Force 1122.
My Location
Stockholm & Windhoek Namibia
accidental double post

ouagadougou

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2m NERA Prime Focus Dish for C/ku Bands, DM500, SkyStar2, Technomate 5500CIP, Force 1122.
My Location
bid0n said:
Hi folks,

I'm meaning to find out what this means:

cable.ubr03.newy.blueyonder.co.uk

i've got reasons to believe it's in Newcastle, do any of you know of a database/website that can explain what every code in this ip adress means?

cheers for any tips ;)

UBR (Unspecified Bit Rate) is a best effort type of ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) Circuit which is used to deliver multiple services over the same transmission link but has no guarantee of Quality of Service. The one you have listed is a Telewest Circuit ie Blueyonder. If you know the true IP Address of the router or have a URL/www for it then you can do a search with Visual Route Demo Software or others and if the geographical info is in the router then Visual Route will even draw you a route map.

I dont know of a database though that lists these circuits.

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
hi ouag

once again, i'm well impressed by your skills :)
yes, it is a bluyonder/telewest ip.
strangely enough, visualroute showed the location as being in bradford, neotrace as being near boston (lincolnshire that is) and still another database as being in newcastle. why the heck i get all these different results?
that's why i posted this: i just need to find out what "newy" means (i'm shure it's a dslam), as well as "ubr3"... does "cable" mean the customer's cabled, and not xDSL'ed?

ouagadougou

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
bid0n said:
yes, it is a bluyonder/telewest ip.
strangely enough, visualroute showed the location as being in bradford, neotrace as being near boston (lincolnshire that is) and still another database as being in newcastle. why the heck i get all these different results?
that's why i posted this: i just need to find out what "newy" means (i'm shure it's a dslam), as well as "ubr3"... does "cable" mean the customer's cabled, and not xDSL'ed?

Hi,

its strange that you get so many different results if you have traced the same IP address with the different tools. Not sure why but it could be labelling on the router thats indicating the direction in which the link is facing. This still doesnt explain why you would get 3 different answers for the same IP address so a bit confused by that one.

I dont know much about the Telewest network so no idea what "newy" means in relation to their circuits but Telewest do deliver much of their broadband via the cable network and not via xDSL/DSLAM type equipment.

Cheers.

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ok, so cable probably means "cable" :)

so that's giving a bit more of a clue then. Need to find out what ubr and newy mean now :) could newy mean newcastle?

Someone else might know of a website with that sort of info?

ouagadougou

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
bid0n said:
ok, so cable probably means "cable" :)

so that's giving a bit more of a clue then. Need to find out what ubr and newy mean now :) could newy mean newcastle?

Someone else might know of a website with that sort of info?

UBR = UBR (Unspecified Bit Rate) is a best effort type of ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) Circuit.

Newy could be Newcastle