Someone please help!

GodZillaRibs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 500, CCcam 1.7.1
My Location
Bahrain
I am having a tough time understanding how Dreambox and its components work. I see guides and idiot guides, but I never found anything that explains everything in detail.
I would be very happy with an Idiot's guide if I were to begin from scratch but thats not the case.

I purchased a whole setup from a local shop. This included a DM500, a dish with 3 LNBs and a LAN cable to my ADSL router. This receiver was pre-configured and all he did was connect everything and it worked fine.
One fine day I discover that only FTA channels are coming up and no paid channels. I tried calling the shop for 2 days, no answer. Shop is closed down.

After a lot of reading, what I can understand is:
There is something called CCcam 1.7.1 installed. I see this when I press the blue button and also when powering on. This CCcam is either configured to access a shared card over the internet or to automatically update keys over the internet. If this is correct, I need to find out how this CCcam is configured.

Now the questions:

1. First of all, am I correct in my assumptions?
2. How do configure/edit CCcam 1.7.1?
3. I never had the password for accessing the box and the default does not work. I will try guessing, but if it fails, how do I reset the password??

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I am having a tough time understanding how Dreambox and its components work. I see guides and idiot guides, but I never found anything that explains everything in detail.
I would be very happy with an Idiot's guide if I were to begin from scratch but thats not the case.

Hello Godzilla
Everybody is entiteled to his opinion, but you would probably find that most users here find the guide just the right thing to start, and good enough to get started with the basic operation of the box. :-thumb1

Don't dispair, read the guide a few times and you will be happy within a few days, trust us!

You did not tell us what image you have on your box, and other relevant stuff such as are you conected to the internet and computer with it, etc etc (but you knew this because you read the guide). Also interesting would be to know what satellite you are looking at, and what pay TV channels you think should open up to you?

GodZillaRibs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bahrain
Thanks for your reply T_G.
I did not mean to be rude, by guides I meant guides in general, even guides for idiots. I will read your guide again and probably many more times. The thing is, up until last week everything was fine, I was watching TV without any problems. So I believe I already had a working system setup. I just need to know how it was setup and probably make minor changes.

As for the info you asked, I have a 512Kbps internet connection and three PCs connected to the ADSL router and a fourth connection being that of DM500. I know only one satellite name that is Nilesat, there are two more. I live in the middle east and I am looking to get regional Showtime, Orbit and Star packages.

Thanks again.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Password is not that easy to change You better ask the seller for his pass - or You must install a new img to the box

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
If you want to make sure the user and password are not "Root" and "Dreambox" do the following: Enter the ip adress of your dreambox (whatever you have assigned to it, typically it would be 192.168.0.5 or similar) into your browser (this is also explained in the Idiot Guide). You will get the Enigma WEb Interface. Click on the control button and then on the "screenshot" button, and a pop up will come up asking you for the user and password. Put in root and dreambox and see what happens.
If the password does not work: Backup your channel list (it is in the guide) and then simply put in a new Image. I would suggst the Gemini as it is very easy to set up and most people here know it well so it is easy to help.

After the Image is in the box, sort out the network connections, load your saved settings with the dreamboxedit program, and then using the blue button download the MGcamd1.23, and also the MGcamd camconfig. When this is all done ge the latest keys from one of the key sites (I use Satandream, see the "usual places thread). After you have hese installed you should be able to watch whatever ther eis to be watched - but I am not sure what is possible on Nilesat as I only get a limited number of channels there.

Get working on this and lets see what happens!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I have a feeling that the original poster bought a pre set up package for card sharing and it sounds like the server has gone down. So unless he is able to contact the person who sold it to him so that he can update the details with the new server address, you may have to look around for another cardshare group. You may also have to flash a new image, as you will need the password to change anything on your present one.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
It is likely the card sharing arrangment was for a limited period. The shop closing sounds suspicious. I don't know much about these things, but I doubt he can join another group without a valid card himself.

GodZillaRibs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bahrain
Thank you all for your responses.

I had a go with guessing the password but none worked. I did manage to disable HTTP authentication from the box itself, so now I can access it using the web browser. But there is no utility to change the password or reset it. I also downloaded a CCcam editing utility but it wouldn't accept a blank password for HTTP authentication. I also got hold of Dreambox Control Center, but that seems to work only through telnet and I cannot disable telnet authentication.

So my only option is to get a new image.
But I have to ask,

What is the difference between card sharing and auto/manual update of keys? I mean, why would anyone go for card sharing when you have the option of getting keys yourself?

How often do the keys have to be updated?

Do cams have anything to do with region and/or the channels I wish to watch? Would the keys allow me watch any channel on my list?

T_G, any reason as to why MGcamd would be better than CCcam and others? I ask this because I think there would be a reason for the guy who sold it to me to install CCcam. If it makes no difference I will go for MGcam as you suggested.

Thanks again.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
GodZillaRibs said:
Thank you all for your responses.

I had a go with guessing the password but none worked. I did manage to disable HTTP authentication from the box itself, so now I can access it using the web browser. But there is no utility to change the password or reset it. I also downloaded a CCcam editing utility but it wouldn't accept a blank password for HTTP authentication. I also got hold of Dreambox Control Center, but that seems to work only through telnet and I cannot disable telnet authentication.

So my only option is to get a new image.
But I have to ask,

What is the difference between card sharing and auto/manual update of keys? I mean, why would anyone go for card sharing when you have the option of getting keys yourself?

How often do the keys have to be updated?

Do cams have anything to do with region and/or the channels I wish to watch? Would the keys allow me watch any channel on my list?

T_G, any reason as to why MGcamd would be better than CCcam and others? I ask this because I think there would be a reason for the guy who sold it to me to install CCcam. If it makes no difference I will go for MGcam as you suggested.

Thanks again.

Hi Godzilla

It seems you are connected to the computer and the internet, so that means you are 95% there. Do not mess about with the old image/password, just put in a new Gemini image as suggested.

You can use whatever cam you like, I suggested MGcamd as it is the flavour of the month and opens everything that can be opened. For your information, in 3 days, it may be that another one comes along that is even better - all we do is press the blue button and download it. That is the beauty of the Dreambox and the Gemini images. Don't worry about the guy and whatever he installed, there is almost nothing we can't figure out in this forum when it comes to dreambox.

Keys: I update then daily, sometimes twice a day as there are some providers that change them often. I use the satankey updater plugin, but leave this out until you know how to FTP the keys into the box. Generally, it takes about 10 seconds to download them, 10 seconds to FTP them into the box and 5 seconds to do a manual installation of these.

If you got a nullmodem cable I suggest you download the latest 3.6 Gemini max var, and use the nullmodem cable to put it into the box. That will allow you to have 3, 4 or more cams installed at one time and you can choose whichever you like, or use the auto cam function.

Let us know when you got the image in. :)

TG

aadham

Reaction score
My Location
Amman - Jordan
T_G said:
Hi Godzilla
... Don't worry about the guy and whatever he installed, there is almost nothing we can't figure out in this forum when it comes to dreambox.
TG

This is what makes this forum a great one.
Thank you

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
GodZillaRibs said:

The difference is, Cardsharing means that you can view any package for which someone in the group has a legitimate card, but using Emulators and keys will limit you to what is "available" at any given time, you will probably find that what you have been watching is not "available".

GodZillaRibs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bahrain
T_G said:
Do not mess about with the old image/password, just put in a new Gemini image as suggested.
T_G said:
If you got a nullmodem cable I suggest you download the latest 3.6 Gemini max var, and use the nullmodem cable to put it into the box

I don't have a null modem cable and I don't think I can make one.
FlashWizard utlity also requires password. Should I reset it to factory defaults?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You can easily buy a Nulmodem cable from any computer shop.

A factory reset should reset to default password.

GodZillaRibs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bahrain
OK,
I did a factory reset and I lost everything, but at least I know the password now.
I then loaded the latest Gemini using FlashWizard. I downloaded MGcamd and MGcamd config using the box. I then used Satan's keybundle and FTPed the required folders 'keys' and 'scee' into the 'var' folder.

Now the status is that I can watch free to air channels but not the encrypted ones.

T_G, surely I am doing something wrong when it comes to keys. I assumed the key bundle would let me watch any encrypted channel, it doesn't seem so. Do I need to find specific keys for specific channels that I want to watch?

T_G, rolfw and others, thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
unfortunately, and as rolfw already pointed out, satan & any emu will only open up some packages like TPS, Digital+ and Premiere which have been hacked. There are some more, but if the package you're used watching isn't hacked, then you won't get any images, they will stay encrypted !
there's no such thing which allows you to watch "any" encrypted channel.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
GodZillaRibs said:
OK,
I did a factory reset and I lost everything, but at least I know the password now.
I then loaded the latest Gemini using FlashWizard. I downloaded MGcamd and MGcamd config using the box. I then used Satan's keybundle and FTPed the required folders 'keys' and 'scee' into the 'var' folder.

Now the status is that I can watch free to air channels but not the encrypted ones.

T_G, rolfw and others, thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

This is really good, you got a new image and you are the master of your dreambox! I am pretty sure that if you put in the latest satan keys and MGcamd1.23 you are geting whatever is possible. As I said, I am nót sure what is going on on Nilesat thopugh. Have you got any chance of getting Hispasat on 30 west from your location?

GodZillaRibs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Bahrain
Through some more reading I've found that the channels that I require are "on Irdeto2". I am not sure what "on Irdeto2" means other than that it has not been hacked yet and hence no keys.
The only option remains for me is to go for card sharing, which I dislike very much because of its unreliability.

T_G, I am not sure about Hispasat. Is there any way of finding out what satellites are available for a specific region? Some links perhaps?
Also, I don't have a motorized dish, so I think my choice would be limited.

Another question, when I do an automatic scan for channels on a particular satellite, only free to air channels are listed. Is there any way to at least list encrypted channels?

Thanks again.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
When U do a scan there is an option, choosing all or just free :)