Something very bad happened

orzem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 5620S
Linux Debian PC
Hi,
after receiving great help for my Dreambox setup and after some time spent enjoying the results, here I come with a heavy burden on my shoulders.

Yesterday I uploaded the new Gemini image on my Dreambox 5620, renamed it root.cramfs and performed software update. As a result the Dreambox wouldn't
boot.

OK, no panic, I have a null modem cable.
Fired up DreamUP, connect, erase, flash, this time with the original image rel106.
As a result, the dreambox booted, but then froze.

OK, no panic, null modem cable again.
Connect ok. Erase gives an error about not being able to reset something.
Continue anyway? Yes, erase.
Flash gives an error about not being able to upload.
Ping sometimes says 31337 and sometimes -1.

The display keeps going 5600 boot - 5600 boot - 5600 boot - 5600 boot....

OK, panic.

Can anyone help?
I'd like to hear that my dreambox is not dead, but I have a very very dreadful feeling about it.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Some people have been having problems with the network cable being connected, try disconnecting it. From memory you also need to do a flash erase after installing, see the guide in the stickies.

orzem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 5620S
Linux Debian PC
rolfw said:
Some people have been having problems with the network cable being connected, try disconnecting it. From memory you also need to do a flash erase after installing, see the guide in the stickies.

Thanks for such a prompt answer!
Although I didn't mention, I went by the manual: disconnect all cables, wait 30 seconds, flash erase... step by step as in the guide.
:-Guill

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
orzem said:
Thanks for such a prompt answer!
Although I didn't mention, I went by the manual: disconnect all cables, wait 30 seconds, flash erase... step by step as in the guide.
:-Guill

Hi Orzem

I would download another image, Just in case it was a bit corrupted. Then start again with dreamup and the null cable.
Or if you can get the original image back onto it, set up your ip adresses again and then use Flash wizzard Pro to load the gemeni image.

Why did you rename the image ?????????

orzem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 5620S
Linux Debian PC
john_graydon said:
Hi Orzem

I would download another image, Just in case it was a bit corrupted. Then start again with dreamup and the null cable.
Or if you can get the original image back onto it, set up your ip adresses again and then use Flash wizzard Pro to load the gemeni image.

Why did you rename the image ?????????

Thanks for your help.
I'll try with another image, but the problem seems to be in the communication between the dreambox and DreamUP. DreamUP reports the impossibility to perform a few actions in the erase and upload procedures. Because of that and after a few trials I can't manage to erase or upload a working image on the dreambox. Setting the IP is therefore out of question.

On my first software update I had a working 5620 dreambox, all set and configured for my home LAN. So I ftp-ed the image ***.img to /tmp/root.cramfs, then got to settings - software update - manual update - ok. After this seemingly successful update came all my problems and since the dreambox had lost its configuration, I had to get back to null modem cable and DreamUP.

The first try with the null modem went seemingly ok, but then again, the dreambox was unable to boot. From then on DreamUP shows some sort of problem, from no connection at all to errors in the erase/flash procedures.

To be more specific, the erase procedure says it can't clear/reset lockbits and the flash procedure says DoUploadFile failed and exits with code -5.

As soon as I get home I'll try with the latest DreamUP, but I really have little hope...:-toilet

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
I never fpd an image onto the DB, so dont know what the story is there.
There is an erase image, look for it and try it out 1st. Then load the original image again, get a fresh copy.
And did you hold the top button down on the DB after powering it on (flash erase).

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Hi Orzem
I have to agree, the method of ftp the image to the box works but is not recommended. I would say that it is almost unthinkable not to use flashwizardpro, it is the fastest and most stable method. Never had a bad one yet.

regarding the flashing: Are you sure your nullmodem cable is the correct one?

My advice is the same as John's: Put on the original dreambox image, get it to work somehow and then use an usb and flashwizard to load up the new image. With flashwizzard you don't even need to flash erase...

orzem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 5620S
Linux Debian PC
Thanks to both.

Null modem cable is ok, because I've used it when I first bought the dreambox and it got me smoothly out of trouble, and with the very same original image I'm trying so hard to upload now.

Didn't know ftp is not recommended, I'll stay away from it from now on.
FlashWizard works only with LAN configured, I'll have to do without until I can fix the problem (IF I will ever fix it myself...)

I'll try and see what happens with an erase image (do you know where I can get one for the 5620? I only found it for 500 or 70xx).
I'll also try and get hyperterminal connected.

I fear the boot loader got corrupted somehow, and if this is the case, :-HB.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Keep your box earthed at all times as recommended in the manuals (including when flashing). I have not seen a 5620 erase image. The one I found had zip file 8kb and unzipped 7mb. What is the unzipped size of the dm500 erase image ? Perhaps that should do. If you are lucky flashing with the erage image (2 or 3 times) followed by the official image should solve the problem. If you are less fortunate the bootloader repair will do, or in the worst case the flash chip is damaged. This can happen from not earthing. Regards, pcd.

orzem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 5620S
Linux Debian PC
Thank you all for your help!
Got back home with the latest universal DreamUP and a newly downloaded official rel106.img, properly earthed, and I was finally able to flash, without even using the
erase.img. In about half an hour I was up and running with the latest Gemini. Gee, it's good to have the baby back!
Thanks again for you great support.
:-bighappy :-party1 :-band3

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
orzem said:
Thank you all for your help!
Got back home with the latest universal DreamUP and a newly downloaded official rel106.img, properly earthed, and I was finally able to flash, without even using the
erase.img. In about half an hour I was up and running with the latest Gemini. Gee, it's good to have the baby back!
Thanks again for you great support.
:-bighappy :-party1 :-band3

Nice one, Now get working with flash wizzard pro.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Nice going Orzem, glad you are up and running. Really, the dreambox is a sturdy receiver and not that easily killed I think..

orzem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 5620S
Linux Debian PC
Yep, you're right. The only problem I have with DreamUP and FlashWizard and all those nifty little programs is that they run on Win and I'm a linux user.
Alas, not even close to be expert enough as to build my own flashing tools. That's why I usually ftp the images to the box.
But, since the Dreambox is linux too, I bet there's an easy way to connect and work with it from a linux PC, and I'll keep trying.

Without mention, with the help and support of this great forum.

steelrose

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000-S
Offset dish 2.10m with 2 lnb point at astra, hotbird
Hi Orzen.Glad u got your dreambox running again.I want to tell u that Flash Wizard works fine with WINE on my gentoo.Also HDTV TS to Mpeg converter works fine with wine

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
steelrose said:
I want to tell u that Flash Wizard works fine with WINE on my gentoo.Also HDTV TS to Mpeg converter works fine with wine

Tell you what Flashwizzard works ok with a few Caipirinhas or Beers, but it really depends on the dosis :-lmao
:-cheers

orzem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB 5620S
Linux Debian PC
Thanks, I'll try wine with FlashWizard. Couldn't do with DreamUP though...
By the way, I can't manage to get a good recording from dreambox to PC hardisk (nfs mount, record button on the dreambox): replex, PVAStrumento and a few other
converting tools always report some kind of error... Playback on the DB looks "jumpy".
I think I'll take a look at the nfs connection before lookgin anywhere else.
Bye bye and thanks again.