Sony VTX-S750u Sky Digital receiver - Channels

nsharma

Reaction score
Hi,

I wonder if you can please help.

I have a Sony VTX-S750u Sky Digital receiver which had been running OK for a few years. On channels such as Performance, SAB TV and a few others, I get a message which says that "No satellite signal is being received". The same channels are OK using another receiver which hopefully proves that the dish alignment, LNB and cables are all fine. Am I correct in thinking that the tuner in the Sony receiver is playing up and if so how can this be fixed?

With kind regards,

Neeraj Sharma.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I use a Sony VTX-S750u and so keep an eye and ear out for stories of any problems.

Basically there are no known weak spots, although this might be because there aren't enough around to form a reputation! One thing I have picked up on is that they aren't perhaps the most sensitive of receivers. What box did you use to check your dish/cable with? It's just possible that it's more sensitive than the Sony.

Check the signal strength and, especially, quality on both boxes. This will give a clue.

PaulR

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Do you ever get break up on channels, or just the ‘no satellite signal’ message?

If it is just the no sat message then it could be a switching problem (LNB not being told to, or not switching bands/polarisations when told to). To test this look up some of the channels you don’t receive on lyngsat.com and see if they are all in the same band and polarisation. It could be that with age your box it getting picky about which LNBs it will work with, likewise the LNB could be less responsive and the other box you tried it with might just work better with it.

We sometimes have that problem here on a communal system. Switching to some low band channels gives a no signal message, but moving between low band channels once watching one is fine. This comes and goes and (for some reason) affects some low band channels more than others. Also when the no signal message appears pressing channel up then channel down a second or so later sometimes persuades it to work.

Old Geezer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Openbox V8S & TM5200D PVR Systems
My Location
Deepest South Wales
Hi Neeraj,
It occurred to Me that both the channels that you mention are from the Eurobird satellite at 28.5E.
The dishes were originally set up for the Astra birds at 28.2E, so a bit either side would still pick up the signal.Since they now use the 2 satellites for Sky , You may be slightly off on the position of the dish , so that You don't get a strong enough signal on Eurobird (Yes , I also think the Sony box has a weak tuner , but it is good looking !!).
It's worth checking out which channels get the No Sat Signal on and comparing them to a sat chart (kingofsat or lyngsat) to find out if they are common to the same satellite.
Chances are that You'll also be missing other channels like ACTV and probably Bonanza.
The other thought is that the signal strength/quality are from the default EPG channel on Astra 2 , so if the problem is common to only the Eurobird satellite , then the signal information will be of no use.
Hope this info may be helpful , and if I've made any blunders hopefully the mods will put Me right.

nsharma

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for the replies. I checked the setup with an Echostar DVR7000VA motorised satellite receiver which illustrates that all is fine from that end.

I reckon it is a problem with Sony receiver / LNB switching..

With kind regards,

Neeraj Sharma.