sound but no picture

tonybv

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
matsui op10 receiver
My Location
london
hello all,

I've tried to start using my old analogue receiver after a few months of it lying idle, and I have sound but virtually no picture. I have replaced the aerial cable, to no avail. I don't think the dish has been moved, although we had some building work done. I tried re-tuning and everything in the manual. I also got an error message "LNB short circuit". Don't know how serious that is. That message has now gone. Any suggestions much appreciated. I really only watch cycling and motorcycling on Eurosport, so I don't want to spend too much fixing it. Having said that, I definitely want to sort it out.
The receiver is a Matsui OP10 (Dixons own brand)

I'm not really a techie, so please keep it simple.

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
By "virtually no picture" what do you mean, are you getting a lot of sparklies?

If it was showing LNB short, then you need to check the cable and connectors, also check if there is perhaps any water in the cable etc.

If all of these are OK, then try tipping the dish in either direction whilst someone id watching the picture, analogue receivers are great for aligning. :)

tonybv

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
matsui op10 receiver
My Location
london
Thanks for the reply. The picture is a moving blur of colour, with what I suppose you could call vertical rolling. I replaced the cable yesterday, and the short circuit message disappeared after I re-made the end connections.
There are no sparklies. Guess I'll have to fiddle with the dish position. Luckily it's easy to get at.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
That sounds like a strange symptom, the normal symptom is sparklies and then noise, if you have a digital camera, can you take a photo of it?

koko_varna

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,5 sat antena
My Location
Varna, Bulgaria
rolfw said:
That sounds like a strange symptom, the normal symptom is sparklies and then noise, if you have a digital camera, can you take a photo of it?

This sounds like analogue encryption;)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Don't think there are any encrypted analogue channels on Astra 19.2E.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Sounds like the sync connector on the SCART lead isnt making contact at either the receiver , or TV end.

Or you have set the TV to RGB input when the the receiver only puts out composite.