Souped-Up British Milk Van Sets Speed Record

N

net1

A Welsh race-car driver claimed the first milk van speed record Thursday after zooming at 73 mph in a souped-up electric machine.
Electric milk vans, called "floats," are one of the quintessential features of British life, designed decades ago to run in silence, so the legend goes, to avoid waking slumbering citizens when the milkman drops off pints of milk at dawn.

The floats have not been known for their speed until Welsh Formula 3 racer Richard Rozhon got behind the wheel of his brand new Electron E150 on a track at the Bruntingthorpe Aerodrome in central England.

Rozhon was at something of a loss to describe the experience.

"It's a radical designed futuristic vehicle," he told Reuters by telephone. "Something sort of out of the space age. It's a futuristic looking milk float."

Rozhon said he set the speed mark with no milk bottles on board, but guessed it could go nearly as fast when fully loaded.

Another team tried to set a record in a conventional float on the same day but barely got to 50 mph.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Some people have been using electricity on vehicles for a while to set records

http://www.killacycle.com/page1.html

Unfortunately the laws in this country are detrimental to the take up of renewable source vehicle power. I have an electric scooter, but I would be stopped every three journeys by the police who believed that it was in some way illegal (it has no registration and hence no number plate)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
This was the original blurb for it

Does about 35 miles on a single charge, and by simple adjustment of the drive sprocket, (no police watching of course) gets it to 30mph

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
Channel Hopper said:
This was the original blurb for it

Does about 35 miles on a single charge, and by simple adjustment of the drive sprocket, (no police watching of course) gets it to 30mph

Police were watchin near me last week Grass Hopper,
ROUNDABOUT near me (been a tanker spillage, huge traffic jam, finally get to front, me outside lane Milk float inside lane, Crawling with BILL they diverted all traffic Down M60 till next junction, then had too come back (14mls to do 50yds part of roundabout where spillage occured)
Well this milkman was kicking off about not having enough juice in batterys, but as they DO POLICE , moved him on his way, 2 hours later i was traveling down m60 (and seen float in opposite hard shoulder) feeling a wind up coming on "i pulled over too chat and sympathise with the GUY" He was waiting for the Co towtruck, as batterys had died as he predicted, he said he had ,had shit from his manager, maybe responcable for sour milk (if so), and final straw he had a ticket from motorway police (who seen him on hard shoulder) for driving on a motorway, He explained what had happened, and Copper had sad
NOBODY CAN GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO BREAK THE LAW, AND BOOKED HIM.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thats the worst sob story Ive heard this week, makes my woes seem insignificant. Ill tell you about them soon, when I have some free time