Space fanatic unveils rocket he wants to fly into orbit

N

net1

A man hoping to become the first amateur to fly in space in a privately developed craft has unveiled his new rocket capsule.

http://www.ananova.com/images/web/49008.jpg

Steve Bennett, 39, has been building and launching rockets for more than a decade in a bid to become the first man to pilot a privately developed spacecraft into space and back.

His Starchaser firm has unveiled the single seater Nova II capsule, which is being readied for shipment to the US, where it is to be fitted with a parachute system.

The manned capsule is to be dropped from a C-123K transport aircraft at an altitude of 14,000 feet over the Red Lake Drop Zone, Arizona, to practice landing the reusable craft.

Mr Bennett of Duckinfield, near Hyde, Greater Manchester, said he hoped it would take place in May and said he "cannot wait".

He said: "I used to be scared of heights but after skydiving I got out of that. I am just looking forward to the next buzz. I have dreamed about flying in one of these rockets since I was five or six years old, since I saw the Americans walk on the moon. I think about it every single day."

Seated in the tiny one-seater rocket capsule at the Village Hotel in Hyde, Greater Manchester, Mr Bennett said space travel was going to be a "normal every day" occurrence.

He said: "Ten years from now we will all be saving up for trips aboard space vehicles."

Mr Bennett's company has so far spent around £2 million on research and development. He estimates he needs a further £2 million to fulfil his dream.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Not in a million years

Its the wrong shape for a start, and its got Montego wheels

Do me a favour, give me £3m and Ill have something ready in a month.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
AND - it appears to be in his living room :D

Its got to be a fake, thered be tools nearby and oil marks on the carpet

mikeey

Kalashnikov Poster
Reaction score
CH, i thot petrol will do the trick,or blow u up 1 way or another,

at least it will do the job.

regards mikeey haha

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
If you look at the Starchaser site, theres launch videos, with one of the site inside the capsule. As it takes off you can hear the canister distorting, and as it comes down there are some suspicious 'bits coming loose' noises .

The man wants you to pay £1/2m for the ticket to fly

No thanks