Space is very scary, here's why...

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
None of us know what would happen if we developed a method of transportation that could travel a billion light years in ten seconds.

After two years, where would we end up if we went in a straight line? Very scary. Ang suggestions? Thanks. :D

Me, personally, I think we'd end up in space, with more stars and galaxies in fromt of us, for another 22222222222222,0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 billion light years and x a zilliion zillion. :eek:

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
How long ago was the Big Bang ?

seliver

Satellites.co.uk Member
Reaction score
Website
seliver.110mb.com
My Satellite Setup
Satellite Receiver : Neotion Box 1000s-501
Computer : Windows Xp Professional Service Pack 2; Pentium 4 3.01GHz 1gb RAM
My Location
Penafiel, Portugal
Saturlight said:
None of us know what would happen if we developed a method of transportation that could travel a billion light years in ten seconds.

After two years, where would we end up if we went in a straight line? Very scary. Ang suggestions? Thanks. :D

Me, personally, I think we'd end up in space, with more stars and galaxies in fromt of us, for another 22222222222222,0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 billion light years and x a zilliion zillion. :eek:

Well, if that metod fail, we would gonna stay in nothing forever...because it's not an elevator...we can't push a help button:-rofl2 :-rofl2
On one hand, this ideia is very cool, beacuse we haven't to catch a bus or a plain to go to ohter coutry, so it's quite cool [highlight]but!!![/highlight] terrorists will gonna be unemployed, for ever :-rofl2 .
On the other hand, we always prefer to travel in a car with family, see things llike monuments or something(woman's).
So, it´s a great idea and a very boring idea too(my opinion).
If i'm wrong, please tell me that.
SeliveR

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
I don't believe in the theory that the further we look in space, the further back in time we're seeing. For example, we have large telescopes now that can see so far out, we're told we're looking at galaxies that were around when the dinosaurs were around. What tosh.

That means that if we're looking up at the stars and are seeing dead stars from millions of years ago, what is REALLY THERE NOW, but we can't see it due to the delay in light reaching us?

Yes, put that in your pipe and smoke it. :D :D

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
zorba said:
How long ago was the Big Bang ?

Don't believe there was Big Bang. It's a theory invented by scientists...the same scientists who tooks centuries to spot a large planet that was there for all to see; they only found it there two weeks ago.

No Big Bang, time and space has always existed. Because before a Big Bang there was supposed to be nothing. Nothing, and from nothing sprang all that energy. But scientists cannot explain where the energy came from, and why it happened. Or where it happened. Where is space?

Sorry to be blunt, but no human being has a clue about time, space or anything else. Sorry but as a species we're thick. Soz. :D :D :D

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
How long ago was the Big Bang?

The current thinking is 13.65 - 13.75 billion years.
Depending on who you are asking. :)

L.

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
Lot, Dordogne, Correze border.
I don't find the idea scary at all, because I don't think that such a transportation system could ever be developed. However, I believe inthe theory of multiple universes (multiverse? quasi universe?) where each developed universe is held in a dynamic state by it's own gravity. The problem that I have with this theory is that if universes actually move relatively to each other then what would happen if 2 universes collided. Now that would be scary.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Space is scary, if i had the chance to go out far and couldn't get back and didn't know how to get back i would probably cry as i would not find my home again, planet earth.

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
The bigger the bang the more to hear:)

After 14 billions lightyear U will pass the limit, out into the nothingness

Booooring

I think that the Bang was simply an accident, matter and antimatter was created and time started. What was there before I hear U ask. Nothing, not even blackness but emptiness. It is hard to imagine emptiness, the best way is to look into the head of any politican:-rofl2

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Thanks for that. I'd still like to know what was there before the supposed Big Bang.

Scientists say there was nothing. Not even a place for nothing to reside. A bit like death! A lot like death. So what external force so massive made the Big Bang?Something, surely, if you believe there was a Big bang. If not, explain, how energy can come from nothing, and how absolutley huge guge energy "gatecrashed" into a void of nothingness.

Thanks. ;)

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Oh, by the way, today scientists said that they saw billions of light years away a "massive explosion". Yet that is a contradiction because they have themselves put forward the theory that in that sort of distance, we are looking back in time (which I also believe is tosh ;) ). They can't say that was a time of the dinosaurs yet on the other hand say a massive explosion has been detected now in 2007.

LOL. Any theories please. Thanks. :D

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
when observing light from distant galaxies, we ARE looking back in time, simply because the information provided by these photons took a long time to get here. Say that you ordered a book on the latest technologies in quantum physics. If it took that book one year to be deliverd to you, then you would have a book on the latest technologies one year ago. It wouldn't tell you anything about the current state of these developments, as we can't tell anything about the current actual state of these remote objects that we're observing right now.
Ah yes, and time didn't start with the big bang. Time has allways existed and will allways exist. Our universe may have started with teh big bang, before that there was just "space", or "M-space" as it's called now.
Can you travel outside our universe ? I think not, as it's expanding at light speed, and nothing can travel faster than light. So all you could achieve is to keep up with the expanding universe, without being able to catch up with it. And even if you succeeded, you'd be in "empty" space, untouched by our universe. This space would be depleted of everything, at absolute zero, with not even a photon to pass by from time to time. Yes, boring indeed.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I heard that there is a string theory and also a doughnut theory. I believe in the doughnut. Basically, the universe is shaped like a huge doughnut. When you go really really far, faster than the speed of light, you will make a big circle and finally crash into your own back. (This is where the jelly in the middle comes from).

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Thanks guys, very interesting. I tend to believe that TIME has always existed. That, I can understand. But I cannot understand the "start" of TIME. There cannot be a start, and there will be no finish. JTA says that the stars we see when we look at them through a telescope belong to a TIME long gone. That I have trouble with. Because if you believe that, you also have to juggle with the possibility that aliens are currently 2,000 light years away waving boards saying "we're here!" :D I couldn't quite grasp TG's "jelly" notion, then again, I am not as bright as yous...I look at things from a layman's point of view. ;)

Thanks for the replies. :)

Going back to TIME. This fascinates me, yes it has always existed. But I do not believe that was a BIG BANG. I am prone to thinking that TIME AND SPACE are hand in hand expanding.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Saturlight said:
...Going back to TIME. This fascinates me, yes it has always existed. But I do not believe that was a BIG BANG. I am prone to thinking that TIME AND SPACE are hand in hand expanding.

But if they are, and you don't believe the big bang theory, then what are they expanding from? If you could rewind things and watch them contracting where and how would it stop then?

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
Lot, Dordogne, Correze border.
I think that too many people believe that our universe is expanding at the speed of light because that is what they have been told. The edge of the universe could just as well be an event horizon, where the mass of the universe effectively pulls light back into the universe (like a black hole does). As the strength of light within the universe fluctuates, so the event horizon will fluctuate, effectively making any developed universe dynamic.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
well, it makes more sense to me that our universe is expanding with the speed of light, taking into account that there was a "big bang" some 14 billion years ago. Fotons which were expelled at that moment are now 14 billion light years away from the center of this explosion, and are travelling further outwards with the speed of light. These fotons are the furthest objects of this universe, and are therefore the edge of this universe.
If you have a event horizon, pulling things "inwards", then this would mean that you need something to be pulled inwards, which is the equivalent of saying that there is also light/matter outside of our universe (to be pulled in) which raises the question "and where does thàt end ?".
I think there is nothing but emptyness outside of our own universe, except perhaps a few other universes scattered in this m-space. Whatever the case, we will never know !

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Time cannot exist without movement

If there was Nothing before the big B then there was no time.

and, who cared at that days :)

The problem with space is that it is sooooo huge as it had 15 billion year to expand. Let us say that we accept the BB theory, then everything started, even time but there was no Nature Laws as there was no Nature. So, the speed of light was no problems while universe expanded. No speed limit so we don´t know how fast the expansion was(in the beginning)

The problem with stars 10 billion lightyears away from us is harder to grasp.
When we see the light the star is looong gone and we really don´t know what it looks like out there, and my guess is that we never will know

Anyway, the speed of light is more fun. Einstein said that e=mcc is thrue if You accelerate, when U let the pedal go, all momentum goes away and U will fly with the same speed for ages So, doing this at the 50% of speed of light could be done(letting the pedal go I mean) So U will just fly without any movement as U are in free fall. If U (at that speed) light up a flashlight then, what speed would that light have ? a 100% of course SO the speed of light is a constant, everytime You cut the engine (no matter what speed U have at that moment) the speed of light goes back to 100%.
Then U can use the engine for another 50% speed - when U cut the engine then U rush at the speed of light - still light has the same speed (until U start the engine again) Doing this for a loong period U should soon be speeding:)

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
I am trying to understand this, so sorry if sometimes I contradict myself. Can
we start from the start then work forward to the present?

What existed before the supposed Big Bang. Explain to me what you think was there...Then from that tell me what started this massive explosion when there was nothing there?

Thanks. :)

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
PoloMint said:
But if they are, and you don't believe the big bang theory, then what are they expanding from? If you could rewind things and watch them contracting where and how would it stop then?

They're expanding outward. We shouldn't need a Big bang for that. We just have to believe that the expansion is a natural thing. I don't believe that there are limits to this, and I do not think the whole of space will implode. Where it is located - space and that - I have no idea. I imagine it to just exist as one entity, something that does not have a boundary yet has the capability to expand further out...:toke: