Space on /var?

freddy

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I have a dream5620.Have just loaded Hydra Zeus,+scam2.3 +latest mary, Its great!!!
Thing is I loaded and reset to clear out rubbish but already addon manager says /var folder is 75% full!
Dont see I can sqeeze newcam in as well?
My question is, am I misunderstanding /var maybe can I delete stuff to make more space?
Ok maybe I can manage with Scam for the moment but..

Thanks for reading

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I would delete scam and go for newcamd....

freddy

Reaction score
T_G said:
I would delete scam and go for newcamd....

Thanks T_G, do you know how much space is allocated to /var?, i wonder if the allocation can be changed?

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
freddy said:
Thanks T_G, do you know how much space is allocated to /var?, i wonder if the allocation can be changed?
In flash, you are stuck with it. Get a stick to put this behind you.
It will start complaining when you get over 90%.
At the mo, I wouldnt do any changes to Zeus in case you bu**er your working system. The d/load site is shut down so you can't get latest newcamd if you havnt got it already (and you really really want it)-- till there's an alt.
I think newcamd comes with Zeus image but it will be an old one. You want 5.26.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
i had the same problem freddy, in fact i filled mine up??? and then i couldnt d/l marys :(

so i used my HDD for /var and now i have got everything i need on and it says ive only used 2% :)

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
RedDevil_UK said:
i had the same problem freddy, in fact i filled mine up??? and then i couldnt d/l marys :(

so i used my HDD for /var and now i have got everything i need on and it says ive only used 2% :)

Yes but the thing is he has a 5620. No HD no USB. When I flased last week to a 5620 i checked the manager after the flash was finished. 51% Zeus image with no cams or keys loaded. then 15% for newcamd 5.26 =66% and Marys 15%=81%. there is room for scam * another 15% =96%. You will get all this but when you want to download the latest panel, first delete something cam or marys. Reboot ,add the latest control panel & add latest marys. Latest control panel wont download with 96%, As T_G says And he is right. It wont load no room. I loaded 2 cams but will delete them befor new download.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
ahh i see, sorry didnt realise it was a 5620 box...

its a bit of a puzzle why when the makers created the range of Dreamboxes they didnt make the room for flashing bigger.... lets hope its sorted on the new box due out

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
RedDevil_UK said:
ahh i see, sorry didnt realise it was a 5620 box...

its a bit of a puzzle why when the makers created the range of Dreamboxes they didnt make the room for flashing bigger.... lets hope its sorted on the new box due out

Well, it's all down to cost. Bigger flash=more cash :) In any case it would be better for the next generation to have slightly bigger ones, but then I remember my 286 did not have enough everythng, and now I got a much more modern one and still I need bigger this and bigger that and more of this and that...It is a never ending game between manufacturers and software writers...

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Is the satellites.xml filenot held in the .var folder?

I have seen compact versions of this file for the 5000 series of the DreamBox.

If you delete channels and satellite you cannot receive this should save more space. And remove unwanted CAMs and key sets.

freddy

Reaction score
gameboy said:

If you delete channels and satellite you cannot receive this should save more space. And remove unwanted CAMs and key sets.

OK maybe thats the way- satellites.xml i can chop that down a bit.
Anyway I've got latest newcam so I will delete scam first then load newcam see how much space left, then see where I am -some simple math!
Thanks Guys!

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
gameboy said:

I seen the .XML file while brousing last week. Its very big and it whats probally takes up most of space. So if i delete all sats except 1w,30w,13e,19e and trim down the channels with dream box edit how much space do you reckon it will save.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
john_graydon said:
how much space do you reckon it will save.

Sorry - no idea... why not take a copy and the delete them check the sizes and report back.

If it all goes wrong you can FTP the original back.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
gameboy said:
Sorry - no idea... why not take a copy and the delete them check the sizes and report back.

If it all goes wrong you can FTP the original back.

Yea will do that have a 5620 here at the moment.

freddy

Reaction score
Hmm, problem?
I deleted all I could from satellites.xml (not much saved) FTP'd newcam.rar to /var/tmp folder but addon manager wouldn't recognise it.
I notice scam is 184KB but newcamd is 702KB! nearly 4x as big?
Could I say that, if ~200KB uses 15% of /var then total space in /var is-1.34MB?
If Hydra uses up 50% then capacity of 607KB is left!
However if it has been loaded, then these simplistic calculations must be wrong?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
freddy said:
Hmm, problem?
I deleted all I could from satellites.xml (not much saved) FTP'd newcam.rar to /var/tmp folder but addon manager wouldn't recognise it.
I notice scam is 184KB but newcamd is 702KB! nearly 4x as big?
Could I say that, if ~200KB uses 15% of /var then total space in /var is-1.34MB?
If Hydra uses up 50% then capacity of 607KB is left!
However if it has been loaded, then these simplistic calculations must be wrong?

When I get these problems what I usually do is a backup of all my stuff with dreamboxedit. Then I flash erase, and and only put in one sat with not too many channels. Remember that you only need 3 files to get your settings (more info in the guide) Use the "delete empty and only one station buquets", not to forget "clear satellite .xml". Then I pump in the cams, not forgetting to flash erase in between adding cams and keys.
Another trick: Once a cam is in, I ftp stuff out of the box and return it later after I done the update.

Anyway, I am currently still with the SF image so can"t say much about Hydra

freddy

Reaction score
T_G said:
When I get these problems what I usually do is a backup of all my stuff with dreamboxedit. Then I flash erase, and and only put in one sat with not too many channels. Remember that you only need 3 files to get your settings (more info in the guide) Use the "delete empty and only one station buquets", not to forget "clear satellite .xml". Then I pump in the cams, not forgetting to flash erase in between adding cams and keys.
Another trick: Once a cam is in, I ftp stuff out of the box and return it later after I done the update.

Anyway, I am currently still with the SF image so can"t say much about Hydra

Yes that makes sense,thanks T_G.
By the way what space does the SF image take in /var?

I wonder is there a way to add more memory...(i hesitate to- open the box!)