Spam from this site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adge40

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic Touchbox2
80cm Dish Metronic sat motor (Maplins Bundle)
My Location
Warrington,UK
I recieved a spam email from mobileexperts this morning. On close examination I found that my email address is now on a list at tincan.co.uk.

When I viewed the headers of the email message it appears to come from this domain. I don't recall giving my permission for my email address to be passed to others. Below are the headers with my details replaced by myemailaddress@mydomain.co.uk.

Please explain...

Received: from server.satellites.co.uk ([63.247.68.119])
by mail..mydomain.co.uk (Merak 5.1.2) with ESMTP id BJK36909
for <myemailaddress@mydomain.co.uk>; Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:23:41 -0000
Received: from nobody by server.satellites.co.uk with local (Exim 4.52)
id 1EhEnV-000493-3B
for myemailaddress@mydomain.co.uk; Tue, 29 Nov 2005 18:22:05 -0500
To: myemailaddress@mydomain.co.ukSubject: Mobile Expert Dec 2005 Newsletter
From: "MobileExpert@www.mobileexpert.co.uk" <MobileExpert@www.mobileexpert.co.uk>
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Mailer: PHPlist v2.8.11
X-MessageId: 11
X-ListMember: myemailaddress@mydomain.co.uk
Precedence: bulk
List-Help: I have removed this link as it shows email address in open forum (Jimbo - admin)
List-Unsubscribe: I have removed this link as it shows email address in open forum (Jimbo - admin)
List-Owner: <mailto:match1@mobileexpert.co.uk>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="=_605c30d6f0f858b67047f84954f1c6e3"
Message-Id: <E1EhEnV-000493-3B@server.satellites.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 18:22:05 -0500
X-AntiAbuse: This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report
X-AntiAbuse: Primary Hostname - server.satellites.co.uk
X-AntiAbuse: Original Domain - mydomain.co.uk
X-AntiAbuse: Originator/Caller UID/GID - [99 500] / [47 12]
X-AntiAbuse: Sender Address Domain - server.satellites.co.uk
X-Source:
X-Source-Args: /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -DSSL
X-Source-Dir: mobileexpert.co.uk:/public_html/maillist/admin

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Can't answer this completely as Chris handles the mailouts on the rare occasion we do them, but can say that we do not pass on E-mail addresses or lists of E-mail addresses to others. You may not be aware, but mobile expert is a satellites.co.uk microsite, formed as an extension to our mobile phones section. The tincan connection is simply that they supply the mailing list software which is part of the PHP package on our server, you are not on another mailing list and the reply section is to remove you from our server mailing list which we are happy to do.

Hope this goes some way toward explaining. :)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Additionally I have removed the 2 HTTP links from Adge40's post as they lead to his email address in open forum.

If Chris needs to see them I have them secure.

salvador

Reaction score
Website
www.studyenglishintheuk.com
My Satellite Setup
Ferguson Digibox &amp; Mini dish - Arion AF-1700EC &amp; 80 cm dish
Computer Setup? a couple of PCs and a few Laptos
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
Can't answer this completely as Chris handles the mailouts on the rare occasion we do them, but can say that we do not pass on E-mail addresses or lists of E-mail addresses to others. You may not be aware, but mobile expert is a satellites.co.uk microsite, formed as an extension to our mobile phones section. The tincan connection is simply that they supply the mailing list software which is part of the PHP package on our server, you are not on another mailing list and the reply section is to remove you from our server mailing list which we are happy to do.

Hope this goes some way toward explaining. :)

I can only say that I'm impressed with the honesty of the reply.

I hate spam emails too and sometime ago I joined a forum about mobiles phones and shortly after began to receive spam. I posted in the forum something very similar to what was posted here. My post was edited by admin and the reply was "DO NOT POST THIS KIND OF POST IN HERE" Since no explanation was given and the spam continued I posted a second post requesting to stop the spam. I got banned from the forum right away :D

Salvador

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
It is all part of the same site, and same database we only send out about 2 newsletters per year and all newletters contain a remove link and you must have selected the option to receive emails from admin when you registered for the site.

We dont send out spam, never have done and never will do! also we do not sell or share email addresses.

Sorry for any inconvenience but we are only trying to keep members informed.

Chris.

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90 cm dish + two LNB 13/19 E
90 cm dish + one LNB 30 W
Humax 5400 .. Oh and cable for Mrs Marts (smilie here)
My Location
Gozo - Malta
chris said:
It is all part of the same site, and same database we only send out about 2 newsletters per year and all newletters contain a remove link and you must have selected the option to receive emails from admin when you registered for the site.

We dont send out spam, never have done and never will do! also we do not sell or share email addresses.

Sorry for any inconvenience but we are only trying to keep members informed.

Chris.
An honest and respectful reply if I may say so. Very refreshing to see :-thumb1

foden

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fracarro 1 Metre Dish
Dark Gold Lnb 0.1
Superior Dark Motor
Super Darkbox HD Rev 2008 Combo
Cable CT-100
My Location
Liverpool
I also recieved a email from the above.

Went to their website and had a look, that was enough, deleted the email without opening it.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
foden said:
I also recieved a email from the above.

Went to their website and had a look, that was enough, deleted the email without opening it.

Can't understand why a visit to mobile expert would elicit that response foden, it is simply a mobile phone forum, nothing objectionable on there and quite a lot of useful information and downloads.

mamzaragoza

Reaction score
Website
www.unsat.com
My Location
Zaragoza, Spain
As an administrator of a satellite webpage & forum in Spain (unsat.com) I can tell you that there are companies which somehow get e-mail addresses of people entering those forums with web-based addresses such as hotmail, yahoo, etc. We never share our list of registered members, but there might be a way of linking such kind of addressses with the forums they are registered.

I must admit, however, that no public complaint has been issued so far from any of our registered members.

Personally I had to have single e-mail accounts for some forums, as I have received spam close-related to the topics of certain forums (never from this one, though!).

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Unless someone has Admin access to our vBulletin forum or our server control panel, it is impossible for them to exploit our database. Unfortunately there are hundreds of members who seem to like posting their Email addresses in open forum and are asking for spam, we do delete as many as we can, but cannot catch them all, the problem is that they then stupidly blame us when they receive spam.

The title of this thread is misleading, as the Email the member received was not spam, but from our own mailer about our microsite and the member can quite easily disable the receive Email from admin function, so as to avoid receiving our twice yearly news letter.

I'm going to close this thread now, as the original question has been answerred. :)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Sory Rolf but just to point out to anyone else that the thread starter believing he had received spam, in fact then posted his email address in the thread, which was removed by me. This confirms what you say and members need to think about what private info they are posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.