Spammer shuts down after his details appear on web

N

net1

A New Zealand email spammer has shut his business after receiving abuse following the posting of his personal details on the web.

Shane Atkinson said on a good day he and his associates would send out 100 million messages.

But his identity as the man behind the spam promoting penis enlargement pills, was revealed by the New Zealand Herald last week.

He said since the article was published anti-spam activists had been "having a field day". He had received more than 20 phone calls, five of them obscene.

His street address and phone numbers were "plastered all over the web", he had been subscribed to a mature content-dating site and his email address had been added to "tons of email lists".

Mr Atkinson said the abuse made him worry for the safety of his children. "I have already banned my five-year-old from answering the phone," he said.

The article also led to rackshack.com, the US web service that hosts Mr Atkinson's servers, being entered in the Spam Early Warning System - which many networks use for blocking email traffic.

Rackshack gave notice it would shut two of Mr Atkinson's servers because of the listing. He has now decided to get out of the spamming business because of the negative feedback.

He said he never intended to break any regulations and has asked affiliates to stop doing the work for him.

"I sort of feel good now about stopping this. I'll just stick to search engines and websites. That's still plenty of fun and money," he said.

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
I'm still getting about 5 of the sobig email virus each hour. Mailwasher is deleting most of them and i've checked my PC with norton virus checker and it say's i'm clear.

Just been reading here That it's starting to slow down now.

The fast-spreading Sobig.F email virus slowed on Sunday and failed for a second time to launch a remote data attack using thousands of infected personal computers, computer security experts said.

Anyone else still getting them ???

Chris.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
As far as I know, I haven't had any at all, but I wouldn't know if theyve been taken out by Mailwasher of course.

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
Most people i know have received it, The subject is mostly-

Your details, Thank you!, Re: Thank you!, Re: Details, Re: Re: My details, Re: Approved, Re: Your application, Re: Wicked screensaver or Re: That movie.

Then the main body of the email is:-

See the attached file for details

Then once the attachment is opened, the virus creates a security hole in the computer, allowing someone else to use it to send on more e-mails.

So..... DON'T OPEN THE ATTACHMENT !!!

Chris

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I don't open attachments anyway, certainly not before scanning them, will keep my eyes open though.

Even before Mailwasher, I always deleted unread, any E-mails from unknowns which had RE: in the subject line.

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
rolfw said:
I don't open attachments anyway, certainly not before scanning them, will keep my eyes open though.[/quote

Guess what "I DID" :rolleyes:

Sobig is doin my head in, tried the sobig trojan removal file,
Dont detect it, says OK,
BUT constantly getting (hundreds of alert popups about) sobig from Norton AV "stateing w32cmd.exe (infected, and or could not quarentene, or not repair, or delete)
Yet if i startup in safe mode "norton only finds 2, sobig, and kwbot 32, worm located, 2 files do you want to delete, i reply yes, if i run Norton
again "SAME", Not doing any harm "at the moment, BESIDES SETTING NORTON TO SCAN BY ITSELF LAST FRIDAY AT 8PM, But annoying that when the Warning popup appears i click at least a hundred pages of warnings to clear screen, If i do a V Scan (just the 2 infected files again)

I can see a format C:/U coming soon.

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
The first time I got the SoBIG email , I thought what's in the attachment so I had to open it!!!

But Norton seems to have deleted it now. Is there anyway I can check fully that I've not got it left on my PC ??

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, use the Bullguard checker above Chris, if it doesn't find anything it won't do anything.