Spare 80cm fixed dish and a computer !!

redrooster

Reaction score
As well as a 1m motorised setup with an Echostar AD3600 Via, I have a second setup with an 80cm fixed dish which I would like to motorize and possibly link in to my computer. Being relatively new to the hobby could you offer any pointers to the hardware and software I might need to get me started ? I suppose the question is - If you were to setup again on the computer what would you go for ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Get yourself a Skystar2 from the banner at the top of the page when it cycles through, then a DiseqC motor from one of the other advertisers like Scot Satellite and you should be up and running. :)

In fact there is a Skystar2 up for grabs in the forum raffle, so you could get one for £2.50. :D

redrooster

Reaction score
Thanks Rolfw.

But what about a positioner and cam slots etc.,
Is some of this built into the pci card ?

Thanks again

Nige

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You can run a DiseqC motor straight from the Skystar2 card, sdo no positioner required, puts a motorised system well within reach. :) There is also a Softcam available, you need a PC of 1Ghz or better to operate it, but it will then produce surprisingly good results.

See the PC Card forum for more information.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Might be a good idea to order a twin output LNB at the same time

redrooster

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

Channel Hopper, thanks for the tip on the Twin LNB, I've already got one but I'm interested why you suggest it ?

I'm now on the shop for an SS1, @Sat Diseqc H-H and a @Sat 1.1m dish hopefully should have it for the weekend and then the fun starts together maybe with the cry for help !!!

Thanks again

Regards

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The suggestion was simply to give the receiver and the PC card, independent polarity and frequency band control on any satellite the dish is pointed at. Just makes the system a bit more versatile than the loopthrough connections
moreso as the kit you have makes it free (well apart from a secondary cable to the dish)