Spare Capacity

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
TOSIBIA HDD/dvd freeview recoder combi .
FTA 28e & 13e satellete system
My Location
Blackpool, Lancashire, England
Ist it true that 2C has spare capacity ?. If so can a deal be made with $ky so that it transfwer's its subscribtion channels from 2D to 2C.

This would create the capacity for the channels that want to go FTA but have trouble due to copyright.:-worship

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I seriously doubt that Sky will do anything which will be to their disadvantage or Freesat's advantage.

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
My Location
rolfw said:
I seriously doubt that Sky will do anything which will be to their disadvantage or Freesat's advantage.

Well according to KINGOFSAT, SKY are occuping capacity without any tv channels. Maybe SES-ASTRA can brocker a deal where sky will get the same number of channels plus a bonus number ?:p

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
2C has about 10 transponders for the UK ready to go. She only has one tp powered up - carrying Five and its siblings. (10964H)

Looking at the 2D carrying scrambled stuff:

43 - carrying RTE & DW
51 - believed to be rented direct to Disney
52 / 55 / 56 - mainly carrying Sky owned channels

So theres only 5 tp's carrying scrambled stuff and only 3 of those are likely to be hired direct to Sky.

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
My Location
Analoguesat said:
2C has about 10 transponders for the UK ready to go. She only has one tp powered up - carrying Five and its siblings. (10964H)

Looking at the 2D carrying scrambled stuff:

43 - carrying RTE & DW
51 - believed to be rented direct to Disney
52 / 55 / 56 - mainly carrying Sky owned channels

So theres only 5 tp's carrying scrambled stuff and only 3 of those are likely to be hired direct to Sky.

Do the new FREESAT recievers have the the capacity to accept FTV cards. this would allow other channels to join FREESAT in the event that they would have to use 2C instead of 2D.

Even so 2D must be made dedicated a FTA and not used for scrambled TV channels.O-st

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
garrick said:
Do the new FREESAT recievers have the the capacity to accept FTV cards. this would allow other channels to join FREESAT in the event that they would have to use 2C instead of 2D.

No, they are Free To Air receivers, no card slot and as far as I know, no plans for encrypted channels at all.

Even so 2D must be made dedicated a FTA and not used for scrambled TV channels.

Why must it be? It may be what eventually happens, but there is no "must" about it. Neither the BBC/ITV or Sky own the satellites from which they transmit, so whilst one or other may wish things to change, it will depend largely on existing contracts as to what happens.

garrick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
JVC 32 lcd freeview tv
My Location
Do's EUROBIRD have a steerable transponder which at the moment mostly has minor FTA channels. If it do's then can they be transferred to 2C and go on a fixed beam.

If the above can be done then FREESAT will obtain extra FTA channels that have copyright issue's

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
garrick said:
Do's EUROBIRD have a steerable transponder which at the moment mostly has minor FTA channels. If it do's then can they be transferred to 2C and go on a fixed beam.

If the above can be done then FREESAT will obtain extra FTA channels that have copyright issue's

No they cant - the channels on Eurobird are contracted (mainly via intermediaries) to Eutelsat not SES Astra. Different company - with no possible reason for handing over their customers to the opposition.

The Steerable S1 beam isnt any help anyway - it covers most of Europe! There is an S2 beam, centred on Germany which is on the weak side for marginally installed dishes.