Spectrum analyzers, which one?

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I have a old Unaohm spectrum analyzer that i used in the old days when there was only analogue broadcasts.

I am looking now for a new professional analyzer and have been looking at the Emitor SatLook Digital NIT and Promax Prolink 3 and 4 range of models, also Rover got some models and Unaohm of course.

Anyone of you working with anyone of these instruments on a daily basis that can write down your experiences?

As i see it the Emitor Satlook Digital NIT is extremely affordable at around €800 compared to the others, but how about the longterm reliability compared to Promax and the other manufacturers?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Been using my Emitor NIT for around 16 months now and I'm delighted with it, don't think that you'll find a better value meter with similar capabilities. Full DiseqC 1.2 control makes the setting up of a DiseqC motor a doddle and the battery life is excellent. :)

Still use my Unaohm EP313 for occasional bits and pieces (mostly terrestrial analogue), but for ease of use on satellite, the NIT knocks it into a cocked hat.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
Been using my Emitor NIT for around 16 months now and I'm delighted with it, don't think that you'll find a better value meter with similar capabilities. Full DiseqC 1.2 control makes the setting up of a DiseqC motor a doddle and the battery life is excellent. :)

My Satlook has just developed a fault after seven months with a faulty crt, (probably as a result of the Parcelfarce leaving it in the garden just before it snowed for two days, rather than put a note through the door to collect it from the local depot, driver even signed it 'delivered'), but for its features I cannot fault it. Its certainly not the most professional calibrated kid on the block, but as Rolf says, it does everything and more.

They now have a terrestrial and satellite version up for grabs for about the same price (the Combilook ?) , so dont get fobbed off with the satlook only

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't think that the combilook is as complete a satellite meter though CH, doesn't have all of the features of the NIT.

Swires have brought out a nice unit, but not sure whether it has DiseqC 1.2, they did say that they intended to incorpoate it, but don't appear to as of yet. A very nice Terrestrial and Satellite unit all the same, provides a picture as well. :)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
rolfw said:
Don't think that the combilook is as complete a satellite meter though CH, doesn't have all of the features of the NIT.

Swires have brought out a nice unit, but not sure whether it has DiseqC 1.2, they did say that they intended to incorpoate it, but don't appear to as of yet. A very nice Terrestrial and Satellite unit all the same, provides a picture as well. :)

Does the Emitor have a picture function Rolfw?

Llew

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, not on digital signals Llew, only on analogue, but then again for €800 that is not of real concern, I haven't found it a problem to date, it would be nice though.

I'm looking at adding to my arsenal soon and will probably look at the new RoVer with the twin screen, but it's a few months off yet. :)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
rolfw said:
No, not on digital signals Llew, only on analogue, but then again for €800 that is not of real concern, I haven't found it a problem to date, it would be nice though.

I'm looking at adding to my arsenal soon and will probably look at the new RoVer with the twin screen, but it's a few months off yet. :)

Cheers Rolfw

Looking to update my old Metrix. Be handy to have digital too.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Ok, i will drop in to Emitor tomorrow, they are located about 5 minutes from my location.

You don't want to spend a fortune either and the Satlook NIT looks really good on paper.

Thanks!

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Haven't bought one yet but does anyone have any experience with the new Satlook Micro+?

tvper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Digiallity 304/120GB
180cm with Digiality SF-1LNB
Sagem 4410
Nokia 9902s
Nokia 9602
Triax 80cm + 4 LNBs
Take a look at Unaohm 300 at _http://www.barcom.se
I´ve got a colleague who has bought a combolook NIT.
You can´t upgrade it to digital- terestial, and the memory
is a bit strange .

But you can with the Unaohm i´m told from Barcom.

I´m thinking of upgrading my EP-314 with COFDM.

- tvper

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
rolfw said:

What features is the combolook missing?

Also, what is the name of the spectrum display device that displays on a TV?

Lastly, you mention Diseqc 1.2. Does the NIT allow support USALS?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Crumbs, you've dragged up an ancient thread here, five years old.:)

The Combolook has changed specification since then and to be quite honest I haven't really revisited it, but Emitor have a specification PDF on their download page.

The TV display unit is called the Spectralook, I have bought this direct from Emitor in the past, but it has no analytic tools, it is purely a spectrum display.

Not sure about the new NIT Colour, but mine is not GoToX or USALS, but does support go to refeference.