Speech Audio File to Text Conversion Software

A

Archive7

I am looking for a solution to use a speech audio file and convert the speech into text.
This is for an idea to use the speech in any language (French, German, Polish for example) to create a text file and then translate the text into English in order to understand it.
I have found a nice solution that works for Mac using Audacity and Soundflower, but I didn't find any alternative to Sounflower that would work in a Windows PC.
There are some expensive solution like Dragon and Adobe Premier and other free solutions but I don't think they are good enough as they are too simple.
There is also a solution from Google called Google Cloud Speech API which seems like a good solution for me (works only with Chrome). I haven't tried it yet, as I don't like anything in the cloud and I am hoping to find a solution similar to the Mac.
Speech API - Speech Recognition

By the way, any idea how much a mac cost? Can I use an old PC and install Mac O/S (need a Mac keyboard obviously). Unfortunately I have never used a Mac in my life.
Thanks for your help.
Here is the solution I found for the Mac.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Macs are viewed as a premium product and even second hand you can expect to pay a premium price for kit against the equivalent spec pc.

Yes its possible to load the mac os onto a pc - there are plenty of guides on the web about how to do it.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Most macs in the past ten years can handle a bog standard usb keyboard, and PCs have no problem with Mac keyboards. The mouse interoperability can be an issue.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
You can make what is referred to as a "Hackintosh" with PC hardware, a few prerequisites are the CPU has to be an Intel, the graphics I believe have to be nvidia, the motherboard chipset has to be a specific brand range (can't recall which), and you have to install a custom bootloader on the HDD to fool the macOS into thinking it's been installed on a real mac...

Fun thing is, hackintoshes often far outperform the real thing for a lot less money (which made apple a tad butthurt so claim it's "illegal" as it's against their TOS, but are happy to let people install Windows & Linux on a mac, two-faced or what!!), so if you do want to have a mac-on-a-budget then a hackintosh is the way to go... :)

A

Archive7

Thanks for all the feedback on the Mac.
I think it is too much trouble, besides I am not sure how good is the solution in the tutorial above, so I am sticking with Windows in the meantime and hope to find a good free solution.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Thanks for all the feedback on the Mac.
I think it is too much trouble, besides I am not sure how good is the solution in the tutorial above, so I am sticking with Windows in the meantime and hope to find a good free solution.
Perhaps that silly head pecking b!tch in win 10 can do it for you ...
;)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Haven't you disabled that?

Very first thing I did.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Haven't you disabled that?

Very first thing I did.
Not yet ..but then ...she's on a pull out caddy ...in a metal box ...
I'd like to see her peck my head from there ..
lol

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Hackintosh is doable but can be a hassle like 2cv says. I've used one for years, generally successfully but have saved up for the real thing. I spent many a year building my own PCs from component parts but have had enough of it - happy to just plug and play things!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hackintosh is doable but can be a hassle like 2cv says. I've used one for years, generally successfully but have saved up for the real thing. I spent many a year building my own PCs from component parts but have had enough of it - happy to just plug and play things!

Splitter !

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
On the works phone (Androd) there is a programme called 'Voice Recorder' , and witin the options is 'normal' or 'voice memo' mode. It may be an appp I downloaded as part of another group app, I really cant remember.

In the latter (which is linked to the Nuance system) , the speech is converted to text on the screen . Once the file is stored, apparently I can then write to something called 'Voice Label' via NFC though I haven't tried this .

There is also Dragon Anywhere, another free app, which is related by Nuance and converts speech to text for business use

A

Archive7

There is also Dragon Anywhere, another free app, which is related by Nuance and converts speech to text for business use
Thanks.
The trouble with Nuance is that their software is focused primarily on the English language and I must train it with my own voice.
They have the same software that supports French and Spanish and I have to pay for all the languages separately ~100 each for the basic Dragon Home.
Nuance Americas Online Store
This isn't what I need. I want to input the audio file for example from a movie IN ANY LANGUAGE and create the text in the original language. The timing would be very problematic because they just do speech recognition without making any markings to when a sentence was spoken. I shall need a software that is capable of giving me timelines.
The only feasible possibility at the moment is the Google Cloud API. It seems to support a lot of languages and the cost is very reasonable, but I can't try it unless I give them my credit card details, which is something I managed not to do till today and prefer not to.
Speech API - Speech Recognition

A

Archive7

Thanks. Good to know, but hardly any use to my project since I don't use a mobile and especially not an Apple because of their outrageous prices.
Israelis are mobile nutters and would pay any price for a new Apple, which can be 100% to 200% more than in the US or UK.
There is something too sexist about the names of virtual secretaries: Cortana, Siri and god knows what else is there.
Anybody who speaks to Cortana do this and do that must be out of his/her mind. Is this a way to make the user feel good about himself/herself like I am the boss and you do this and that?
The jerks who develops these ideas must be coming from a different world.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks. Good to know, but hardly any use to my project since I don't use a mobile and especially not an Apple because of their outrageous prices.

An iPad (early version) is not particularly 'mobile'.

Not particularly expexive either

iPad A1416 | eBay