Spiders in Winter ?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Whilst the current climate is mild, there has been a cold snap two weeks ago and the next few days round here are going to be decidedly chilly.

What I do have though is a spider that is living wihin the secondary glazing of the bedroom.

Not an indoor (wolf ?) spider, nor the usual penny spiders busy weaving their last annual webs a few weeks back, so I assumed it was a normal house spider.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegenaria_domestica

This one however is decidedly nocturnal, only appearing between 1 and 6 in the morning to check the horizontal web and pull debris off it that falls down from the vent above, then quickly shifting back into a hovel in the timber. It's also a lot larger than the average, with the body being nearly 15-17mm in length.

What is surprising is the temperature at which she (I assume) is living. The bedroom is heated indirectly from the gas fire in the living room below, I don't have central heating on at the moment and the temperature in there is a steady - and comfortable for sleeping - four to five degrees.

Outside though it's no more than two degrees at the moment and getting progressively colder. Two weeks ago it was minus four or five on a couple of nights and I thought the spider would have perished or moved on as between the glass it would be more like the outdoors.

Whilst I have had wolf spiders survive indoors throughout the winter and into spring, those living near the gas fire have a tendency to turn up at the beginning of February, this one is new to me . She can continue living her life there as far as I'm concerned, but do others here know if certain spiders remain active at such low temperatures and over the winter periods ?

I'll try to get a couple of pictures in the next day or so.

Piltdownpaul

No.1 Spike Milligan Fan
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skybox F3,Icecrypt S3500HDCCI, Technomate TM3000D,TM5400Ci Super, Samsung HD HDD Freesat Box,60cm dish for freesat, TD88 dish on a Skybox F3 57E to 45W.
My Location
South Leicestershire (Fleckney)
Ooooooh no, spiders in my house reside on the bottom of my slipper i'm afraid.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
I'm known in my family to prefer cooler rooms whereas they all like it hot but even I would struggle with 4-5C in the bedroom... As for spiders, I don't know but I know we've got plenty!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Well, he/she was out even last night, temperature this side of the glass was a wild +6 degrees as I turned the heating up to two. Outside it was -3 making the partition between the panes just above freezing.

Attachments

• Spider1.JPG
    Spider1.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Spider2.JPG
    Spider2.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 43
  • Spider3.JPG
    Spider3.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 42

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Nice wildlife you got there. I also got a lot of spiders in our house, we live in the countryside lots of trees and nature, not much we can do about it. But your one is a tough one it seems. Try not to make it angry :)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I have no problem with them in the house at all, they are clean creatures and keep the annoying insects at bay thoughout the year. It's a pity they are not liked by many, possibly down to old wives tales and movies of olde.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VvZ-VaeB5g