Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500CI+
ISS 1M Offset Dish
Moteck SG2100A Motor
My Location
Merseyside
Hello again

Im planning on being able to plug my reciever in 1 of 3 places in the house, i have 3 female f connection sockets which im going to put round the house so i can have my reciever either in my room, living room or loft.

I already have a 3 way splitter for my broadband, can this be used in my new set up or do i need a special kind ?

Thanks

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well if you bought a quad lnd you could cable up three of the outputs (and insulate the 4th) one to each location, that would be the easiest way I would have thought. Why you would think a broadband splitter (which I assume you mean a four port hub or router) would benefit you in this I totally fail to comprehend :-doh!

SeanCorky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500CI+
ISS 1M Offset Dish
Moteck SG2100A Motor
My Location
Merseyside
Its like this

47195i0.jpg

It splits the connection coming in the house from the coax

I have seen them advertised as cable/satellite

I only want to use one way at a time

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Since it says 'all ports active DC' in French, it will work with the set up to take to four points in the house.

The only downside is a loss of approximately 4 dB and maybe a slope of frequency gain loss at the higher end, but if the dish is spot on then you may not notice it.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
What has a four way passive cable TV splitter got to do with broadband???

Ah you are talking about broadband over NTL cable, I would not know if you could use that device at all. What frequency is it rated for???

SeanCorky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500CI+
ISS 1M Offset Dish
Moteck SG2100A Motor
My Location
Merseyside
Yeah i mean i get broadband through cable tv, there is a splitter which splits a cable to my cable tv box and a cable to my modem

Does anyone reccomend a good splitter ?

Must be atleast 3 way

IMG_0844.jpg

That one is maybe the best i have seen

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Go for the 3 way, it will have a lower insertion loss, ethe four way splitters can cost you 8db, a three way may cut it down to 5db or so. There are active splitters around, these should give you zero loss, I think that you can get them from CPC.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I have never found a three way splitter to work more efficiently than a four way at 2GHz, no matter how its internals are designed. YOu havent shown the picture of the three way either, so I doubt very much that its got full DC continuity (Ive never seen one by the way, but passive 3dB blocks are not of equal attenuation on each link by default)

A four way is likely to be more common, and cheaper (the 2/3dB extra loss you can live with.)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not when it's on top of a 5db loss, could well make the difference between bad weather reception and no bad weather reception, I use the three way splitters all the time and find they have a lower insertion loss. ;)

PS. Not all IFs are at 2Ghz.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
not this kind of splitter then:

07_popul.jpg

SeanCorky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500CI+
ISS 1M Offset Dish
Moteck SG2100A Motor
My Location
Merseyside
I will buy a new one

Just need to know which one will give me the best results and i'll either go out and buy it (its its from maplin or somethin) or buy it online

Orthoclipse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
The one I use is a Global 4-way active splitter which I find works well - SPLIT4AF
h**p://www.globalcom.co.uk/communal/splitter4.html

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
sounds like an iffy way of doing it!

An alternative would be to to keep the receiver in one place, then use modulated UHF rf out with the Sky "eye link" system, along with a "link plus" and dc power injection. Grandata sell the whole package at around £22 (excluding SLX eye links at £5 each, and postage), for non-Sky equipment, at: www.grandata.co.uk (go "catalogue", go "audio video accessories").

If that's unacceptable, and for some reason it's better to move the receiver around, then I'd have thought a sat "line amp" should cope with any attenuation problems due to sat i.f. signal splitting. In theory, all splitter ports should be always be properly terminated, but in practice you're probably still ok. As long as it's just your dish, and you're not doing it to a sat distribution system shared with somebody else!

SeanCorky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500CI+
ISS 1M Offset Dish
Moteck SG2100A Motor
My Location
Merseyside
At the moment i have my reciever in one place and i have a video sender, its like a sender and a reciever, both with little ariels, i can control the box in different rooms with it too

But the quality isnt good enough, i want the quality to be the same as if i was to plug the scart straight from the reciever into the TV, the way i have it set up, its not even going through one wall, its going through the glass of the conservatory and the picture is like i am watching tv through a dodgy ariel.