comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
Why are most sports commentators either boring beyond belief or totally annoying?
They seem to drone on about insignificant trivialities or get over excited at the least little thing.
Why can't they just stick to the facts and simple explainations?
I'm watching the Welsh open snooker on Eurosport at the moment and was driven so mad by Joe Johnson's droning voice, U-zzz I've turned over to the German transmission.
I can pick out enough German to know what the commentator is talking about and his voice is much easier on the ear than Mr. Johnsons.

On a similar subject, why do we need commentators previewing an event, commentating during the event and then analysing after the event. Complete waste of time,'O'-red

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
I think your being a tad harsh - when your alone in your house and watching football, turn off the sound and try commentating for 5 minutes. It's a lot harder than it seems.

Still, I think there's fair cop in the argument that too much facts are a distraction from the sport than a help, personally I like it when commentators talk about what the players have been saying in the run up to the game, and other such things.

the_happy_traveller

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
Maybe you're right Salty, I might have been a bit harsh.
There are some very good sports commentators out there as well as the bad ones.
Some sports though, seem to use commentators who seem to think we are idiots and need everything explaining in minute detail or don't seem to know when to keep quiet.
For example, I watched the gala performance of the recent figure skating Euro championships and the English commentator talked all the way through every performance. Watching the repeat on German Eurosport (sad or what?) the following day, their commentators were silent whilst the skaters were on the ice, only commenting between performances.
The actual commentary I enjoy, without it, I wouldn't have much of a clue who has the ball in a football match or who is riding that motorbike that's just flashed on the screen at 200mph. The problem I have is the trivial bits they use to fill in time. Maybe if there's nothing going off worth commenting on, they ought to just keep quiet.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
I think it was Richie Benaud who said that good commentatary is when you only comment on what happening, and much more than that.

Having said that, I think there's room for different styles of commentary, Test Match Special on BBC Radio is famous for having that light hearted style of commentary that just wouldn't be possible in football (although if it was on an alternative audio feed for a laugh I think people would be interested!).

I'd love to hear Ian Holloway allowed free reign to go off on a complete tangent during a 4th round FA Cup game!

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I have to say I like the relaxed chit-chat style in test matches and, as has been said, it's easier in the slower game.

John Motson gets on my nerves with his inane chat about facts and figures. He was at it yesterday even as the teams were taking the field.

johnnysuttie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AMD Duron 2500+
Pace ds810xe hd satellite
My Location
barnsley
matt lawrenson doesn't really talk a lot, does he?

Blatherskite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ HD box (basic package)
DM800HD
Geotrack polar mount
88cm Triax dish
My Location
Geordieland
If possible watch the footy with the audio set to crowd only its far better than having to put up with any commentary.

Also on a similar note, why do the football TV directors insist on showing action replays while the match is continuing surely they could show the replay in PIP?

johnnysuttie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
AMD Duron 2500+
Pace ds810xe hd satellite
My Location
barnsley
nah... there have been some classic commentararies...

like "Jay Jay, so good, they named him twice!"

don't think we'll ever hear that from the crowd.