STAB or Moteck for lowest noise?

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
My dish is down now and i have the chance to change the motor on it from Moteck SG2100A to a Stab HH120.

However i have no prior experience with Stab and how much noise they generates.

Anyone here who had both and can supply me with information if the HH120 is more silent than the SG2100A?

As for now i have some real problems with noise from the Moteck so i would be happy if the HH120 generated less noise due to lower gearing and that it is slower than Moteck.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I will probably be fitting a Stab unit later in the week, will let you know. :)

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
rolfw said:
I will probably be fitting a Stab unit later in the week, will let you know. :)
Great, will wait for your verdict :)

STAB HH120 won this German test over Moteck or Jaeger which is the original.

_http://www.pal.pp.se/~kalle/SV_2005-05_DiSEqC_Motoren.pdf

J

Jeff_19341

My HH120 is quieter than the HH100 which is quieter than the Moteck and it's Fortec Star clone. That is my observation of the motors that I have used. You will appreciate that the StaBs are slower than the Motecks.
JuMbuCk:)

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
JuMbuCk said:
You will appreciate that the StaBs are slower than the Motecks.

I don't know if i will appreciate it being slower but i will be glad if it doesn't make so much noise like my Moteck is doing now.

How do you feel the Stab is constructed? are they more solid compared to Motecks?

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
str8 frum da wesside innit?
sorry about my ignorance, but how noisy are these motors really?? i'd imagine they're only noisy when they're moving between satellites? is that really annoying?
i remember seeing a test on satcritics with mp3 of the noise in 3 different motors, but last time i visited and tried to download them the site was down...

stealthpirate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super (upstairs), Phoenix Apollo MC (downstairs) both running off a cheapo 80cm dish with a twin output monoblock 13° & 19.2°. Sky+ (downstairs) piped 'round the house.
My Location
Yorkshire
Likvid said:
Great, will wait for your verdict :)

STAB HH120 won this German test over Moteck or Jaeger which is the original.

_http://www.pal.pp.se/~kalle/SV_2005-05_DiSEqC_Motoren.pdf

The stab must be superb!, cos I have a jaeger pratically sat next to me outside and that is very quiet!....
of coarse I'm comparing this to the pnuematic jack I had up for over 10 yrs ;)

J

Jeff_19341

Hi Likvid
The motors are a lump of hollowed metal with a stub sticking out and electronics and gears inside. What else can one say without taking to pieces and/or testing to destruction.
I appreciate your problem having to mount your dish on your balcony and any noise generated seems to vibrate or be carried through the structure of the building to other tennants.
You have been around long enought to know that with a motor turning a gear train noise will be created. With a ground mount on a building we used to first put down a sheet of rubber and on that a sheet of marine ply board and then the mount on top of that held down by concrete blocks. This insulated the dish and mount and motor from the building structure and hence cut down any noise due to direct contact. The motor itself you could construct a polystyrene box around it to absorb any air bound noise.
The only way, in your situation, to eliminate as much noise as posible would be to manually move the dish to individual satellites.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
stealthpirate said:
The stab must be superb!, cos I have a jaeger pratically sat next to me outside and that is very quiet!....
of coarse I'm comparing this to the pnuematic jack I had up for over 10 yrs ;)

It's noisy because the antenna is amplifying the noise from the motor as the dish is constructed by aluminium and i also got neighbors that doesn't appreciate the noise during the summer.

If the STAB can reduce the noise i am happy, i don't care if it's slower.

don'tknowdon'taskme

Part Timer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 800HD DreamBox 7025 PVR160g HD,500s Dreambox ,Sly+ Full Package,SkyCard 2, And a Eagle 500 Clone DM500 TM755,TM9100 Linux
Channel Master 1.2m,1224EL Supermount Orbit Tracking Motor With c120 Feed Horn Invacom Quad Lnb Cas3 SC Dragon Progr
My Location
that would be telling
is the any way of making a bracket to fix to the balcony in which you can fit some sort of rubber bush mounting to it and then fix the motor dish and all to it so it takes the vib away.or try a Actuator Motor do they make less noise ive had both but dish to far away to hear anythink so would not know.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
No i can't have an actuator to this dish and i want USALS.

I had a 36V H-H motor to it once but that was even worse than the Moteck.

I tried the Moteck inside now and the motor is pretty noisy to be honest even with no dish attached to it.

I have ordered the HH120 Stab so i will try it, at least it seems much more solid.

J

Jeff_19341

Hi Likvid
Have you given up on the Toroidal set up? That would have been noise free:-rofl2 .

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
JuMbuCk said:
Hi Likvid
Have you given up on the Toroidal set up? That would have been noise free:-rofl2 .
Toroidal? no thanks.

Yes it would be ok if it delivered suffcient gain compared to my Fibo, but as i live in fringe reception area for Astra 2D i need at least a Fibo 90 or even bigger and the Toroidal performs about 20% worse than a Fibo at the same freq.

However one solution would be to fix the Fibo dish to Astra 2D and also install a Wavefrontier T90 for the rest.

Hmm...how i am going to get space for two dishes here, maybe i can?

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Ok, i have find the source to the noise.

The bracket holding the Moteck motor is generating the noise, the Moteck is fastened with 4 bolts, by isolating the bracket from the motor i have put some thin rubber when the bracket touches the motor, it's nearly silent now.

Tomorrow i will buy more professional distance rubbers to put inside the bolt holes on the bracket.

You can see here:

_http://www.elfa.se/elfa-bin/dyndok.pl?dok=2025.htm

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
str8 frum da wesside innit?
i'm quite curious about your hardware modding likvid. are you thinkin about uploading some pics?