Stargazing Live a Ratings Hit

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
Monday night's ratings are in, and Channel 4 has a lot of catching up to do!

ITV's three-part show, Above Suspicion: Silent Scream, took in the largest audience share with 5.7million viewers, about 21.8% . These numbers rose to 5.9million with the addition of ITV+1.

BBC2's Stargazing Live came back for its second season, and its first episode took in 3.8million viewers, roughly 14.6% of the audience share between 8:30-9:30pm. The one hour slot was followed by an extra half hour of the show called Back to the Observatory. This took in 2.7million, about 10.3% of the audience share between 9:30-10pm. Hosts Brian Cox and Dara O Briain are undoubtedly happy with their numbers, which are up by 200,000 viewers from the show's launch in January of last year.

Stargazing Live did much better than BBC1 comedy, The Royal Bodyguard, staring Sir David Jason. The show pulled in only 2.6million viewers, down by 300,000 viewers from the week before, and down a staggering 4.2million viewers from its Boxing Day opening when it took in 7.1million. The half-hour show that starts at 9pm only has two more weeks to go, and it seems that some can't wait for it to be over. One critic said: “There will be a sigh of relief across the country when it comes to an end - whereas the BBC comedy department needs taking into a darkened room and shown some of the classic sit-coms of the not too distant past to see how it's done.”

Not far behind The Royal Bodyguard is Channel 5's Celebrity Big Brother, which took 2million viewers or 7.6% of the audience share. This number rises to 2.2million including Channel 5+1.

However, the worst ratings of the night go to Channel 4. Coppers, which shows between 9:00-10:00pm had 1.8million, about 6.7% of the share. This number rises to 2.1million with Channel 4+1. The channel's show about automated customer services, On Hold, took in 1.3million viewers, about 4.8% of the audience share between 8:00-9:00pm. This figure rose to 1.4million with the inclusion of Channel 4+1.

Channel 4 has a lot to do if it wants to compete with BBC and ITV. Right now, even just overtaking Channel 5, which isn't doing too well itself, may be difficult to achieve for the trailing Channel.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The Royal Bodyguard was a mistake in it's conception, and the trailer put out over the Christmas break was enough to put me off.

Stargazing should be put on far earlier, possibly between 5.30 and 7 oclock on BBC2, as it is easily the most interesting programme on for children and adults.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
I concur CH ...
It should indeed have been put on earlier ...particularly with the clear skies on monday night ...
Jupiter and Venus were both high in the arc at this time ..and made for a beautiful sight ...being so bright in the clear skies over the UK ..
It actually gave one the minds eye perspective of the arc we as satellite enthusiasts are familliar with ...as they traced their path accross the sky ..

The show as whole was certainly a hit ....
..it even got my less than enthusiastic neighbour out with her binoculars ...and had her staring upwards to the heavens ...rather than down at her fashionable shoes...as is the norm with most folk these days.
Brian does it again ..bringing his enthusiasm and passion for his subject ...and making this complex subject 'more accessible' to those who find it difficult and uninteresting.
A BIG thumbs up mate ..keep 'em coming
VS

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Vipersan said:
..it even got my less than enthusiastic neighbour out with her binoculars ...and had her staring upwards to the heavens ...rather than down at her fashionable shoes...as is the norm with most folk these days.VS

How tall is your neighbour ?