Still Searching For Nilesat & Thor!

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
These two birds are still hiding in sky from me!.....as i have mentioned before i'm tuned into Astra 1 & 2, Hispasat, Hot Bird & Sirius....your suggestions welcomed.......waverider

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What transponder are you using to search with on Thor?

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
what should it be rolfw?......waverider

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Try 11540 V (Slovakia) for 1West, 26000 and 3/4

Nilesat is a weaker bird

11747 V 27500 and 3/4 is about the strongest I can see here

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Ta...hopper what about Thor then....what do recomend for that bird?.....waverider

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Intelsat 707 and Thor are co-located at 1W, find one and you find the other. :)

The only thing that puzzles me though, is that when you set the dish up,particularly in your location, it is normal to set your due south by locating 1W, what did you use for reference if it wasn't 1W?

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Well rolfw as a keen sailor i know me Lats and Longs... i did set the dish at Lat:51.5 North.... and Long:01 West...but because i am recieving the other birds i have mentioned it seems strange i can't recieve the other two!......waverider

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Did you manage to locate 5W?

I would have thought that providing you have the right transponder frequency selected, then you should be able to find something at that location.

It is possible to see the extreme satellites without seeing the central one properly, could mean your arc is too low, possibly the pole not perfectly straight.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
'i'm tuned into Astra 1 & 2, Hispasat, Hot Bird & Sirius'

suggests the arc is correct

Are you sure there isnt something in the way at these trouble positions ? You may have to get the old sextant out .

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Channel Hopper said:
'i'm tuned into Astra 1 & 2, Hispasat, Hot Bird & Sirius' suggests the arc is correct

Well that's what I thought initially, but there is only on satellite close to the zero position. If the search is being made on a valid and receivable transponder, it should storm in from that location, I've always forund 1W to be a relatively easy find.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
I see both your valid points Hopper & Rolfw.....thing is if i am receiving Sirius, which has a booming signal strength of 90% then surely Thor (next door!) would have been relatively easy to recieve!..........on Sunday the man from Sky is comming round (F.O.C) :-) to check their system...... perhaps with crossing his palm with silver he might check out my installation!........waverider

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
He may Waverider, but whether he will be any use for anything other than the minidish? The training and equipment for the average guy is pretty limiting.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Good to know we are now thought of as 'more than average'

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
LOL...corse you and rolfw are 'more than average!' hopper....otherwise i wouldnt be asking you both technical questions!.......anyway further to our last chat i found Thor!!!.......(At last)......i think my alignement must have been out a fraction of a degree......i found Thor with the motor option on the reciever set up........now one thing i gotta ask you both is what does 'USALS' mean?......i have an idea, but want you to confirm it!......thanks.......waverider

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Universal SAtellite Locaton System. :)

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Aaah! thanks rolfw.......sooooo..in the setup menu option of my receiver it has the following: Diseq a.b.c. etc, which would be for switching L.N.Bs.......Motor for motor settings.......and USALS which is factory set positions for birds!......would that correct rolfw?.......... waverider

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, when you put the receiver in USALS mode, providing the motor is compatible and the dish is properly set up. You should be able to manually find say 1W and 30W, then the receiver will automatically know where the others are when you select them.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Thanks rolfw.......i'me now practising on me infinity...lol...i feel at liberty to ask you a few questions with that soon...hehehe!.....o'h by the way i hope i didnt offend you an hopper with my thank you message in the general chat section!....i feel people today should show more grattitued where it is due........waverider

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Not offended at all Waverider, we always try and offer help, we enjoy the hobby and I for one benefitted from a lot of help when I started off from our very own 2old4this and Zansi, so just putting a little back into the kitty. :)

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Must be good to be in demand eh rolfw? let alone the time you all put in too!........but niether the last its been much appreciated.......waverider.........P.S got a couple of questions on the infinty!........so do i now start a thread in Cards & Programmers?