struggling to improve signal on hotbird ad hipasat

chinna

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 Metre Dish, Diseqc 1.2 Motorized H-H Motor, technomate 1500 CI+
My Location
UK
At the moment I can get thor west and others like eutel 16e , sirus e, nss west etc at quality levels in the 80 's. Hipasat and hotbird only in the 20's but ic an get quite a few scrambled channels on hipasat abot 25 channels. I can get lot fta on hotbird. I want tps on hotbird and the footie on hipasat etc. How can i get a better signal on these 2???
Thanks for any info.

J

Jeff_19341

Have you tried nudging the dish east & west a little bit to see if the signal improves?

chinna

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Yes tried that on both sateilites but the signal does not improve.

J

Jeff_19341

As you have tried the left/right and not got a better result all I can say is to flex the dish up/down to see if that improves your signal.
30*W I get on 11811V, 27500, 85+strength and 90+quality.
13*E I get on 11018H, 27500, 85+strength and 90+quality
Have you looked at the footprints of the transponders that you are interested in?
Also feeds are usually of lower levels than normal transmissions.

chinna

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Might leave it till the summer now as its freezing. Just wanted to know , for art sports do i need to get a cam?. Getting signal levels of 75% on these but as their are scrambled thinking about getting a card as a temporay measure till summer.
thanks for any help

SeanCorky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500CI+
ISS 1M Offset Dish
Moteck SG2100A Motor
My Location
Merseyside
ART Cards work fine in a patched TM1500CI+

chinna

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Could this make the difference to the signal for hotbird. if you look at the picture of my setup I have the motor postioned at the botom of the mount. And I think it should be at the top. The dish I Have lowered on the motor as it was not in the correct postion but the motor on the mount is still the same. Could that improve the signal for hotbird and hipasat?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
It looks to me like the bracket is flexing with the weight of the dish etc thus it is not vertical in all planes. This is not going to help the situation. it could of course just be an optical illusion???

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I don't like those brackets with motors, they are very difficult to get plumb in the first place and not very strong. You would be better off with a T&K setup with a 2" pole. It makes no difference whether it the motor is mounted high or low, unless of course it is to avoid obstructions.

J

Jeff_19341

You've said it all rolfw, a terrible mount for a motorised dish, too much flexing. An extra stay back to the wall would help as per Bronking's mount. T & K's is the way to go though, with a length of scaffold pole. Not too happy about that tree either. Be carefull that the dish mounting u-bolts do not catch onto your co-ax cables.

chinna

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Just thougth I would add a couple of more pics too get an opion, if it really is the mount that is causing the probs.
Thanks for any input.

J

Jeff_19341

Although you have tried to minimise the twisting effect, there is quite a torque on that type of mount when moveing from satellite to satellite. You could get a "T" bracket and fix it to the top of the motor mounting upright to steady it a bit. Your best bet though would be a pair of "T & K's" and a length of scaffold pole.
Cheers

chinna

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
JuMbuCk said:
As you have tried the left/right and not got a better result all I can say is to flex the dish up/down to see if that improves your signal.
30*W I get on 11811V, 27500, 85+strength and 90+quality.
13*E I get on 11018H, 27500, 85+strength and 90+quality
Have you looked at the footprints of the transponders that you are interested in?
Also feeds are usually of lower levels than normal transmissions.

Thought i would ave another go now. Put a different mount up. I am getting the same signal on 30 west and on that transponder but not on some of them . what i do not get is do i have to receive a good signal on all the transponders to get all the channels on a satelite?.
For example on thor, i get good signal on 1st transponder and some more but when i go on other transponders the signal is not there.
On 30 west get i around 65 channels. but not d plus.
Same on hotbird as above weak signal on first stored transponder but I get good signal on some of them.
Thanks for any info.

J

Jeff_19341

Take a look at the footprints for different transponders on Lyngsat/King of Sat/TrackSAt/SatcoDX or Flysat. You will see that some are not centred over the UK, hence lower received levels.
Obstruction, such as trees (shown in one of your pics) will cut down signal levels and get worse as the leaves begin to grow.

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
JuMbuCk said:
Take a look at the footprints for different transponders on Lyngsat/King of Sat/TrackSAt/SatcoDX or Flysat. You will see that some are not centred over the UK, hence lower received levels.
Obstruction, such as trees (shown in one of your pics) will cut down signal levels and get worse as the leaves begin to grow.

Nothing a tub of bleech and a drill wont solve :)

What signals are you getting from thor ???

chinna

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Yeshi said:
Nothing a tub of bleech and a drill wont solve :)

What signals are you getting from thor ???

92% and 82%.

Being in the midlands i should be able to pick up hotbird and 30 west for the footie?

markyd23

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5400+ & LNB
Humax Foxsat HD+ Freesat box
Sky+ box, Satlink meter
80cm solid dish goldstar 0.3 LNB with satfinder motor
Panasonic digibox Pace digibox goldstar
80cm mesh dish, Skystar2 pc card 139 inline boosters!
My Location
south scotland
Hi folks, not directly related to the motorized problem but same issue, have just replaced about 60m of cable to the dish (had 4 connections before!!). Am using the silvercrest box for the input then using the LNB out to the PC and Skystar2. On the silvercrest the quality has jumped from 42 ish to 61 ish but there are minimal gains on the pc with no change for TPS foot (still between 28 and 31%). Some channels are 55% ish on the PC but TPS still very low or coming and going using Prog DVB and hence no picture.

chinna

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Just give an update. And to help anyone else in a similar postion. The thing I was not checking was all the transponders on the sateilte, I was just looking at the first stored one . On some of the sats I was not getting so I thought I was not picking the sateilite up. But when I started To look at the other transponders , I was getting some of them. I also put some transponders in which were not stored on the sateilite.
I wiil now check the footprints of the transponders and See whichs ones I should be able to recieve.