Stuck on what HD TV to buy... (help wanted)

marcaaron20

Dreaming Satellites
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD,
80cm Orbital Satellite Dish
Motorized
LNB with 2 outputs, 2nd output leading to upstairs and using Dreambox 500S.
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K Amp/Receiver,
My Location
Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland
I am a newbie when it comes to HD TVs and am stuck on what to go for, here are some issues that i need resolving before I jump in and part from me cash;

1. Make/Model - (What is the best make/model to stick to)? (I quite like the look of the Samsung and Sony ones)
2. Plasma or LCD? - (I tend to watch a lot of channels with a logo in the corner, for example the music channels, MTV and all that)
3. Size? - (Looking in the 32", 37", 40" range in Widescreen)
4. Resolution?
5. Response time?
6. HD or True HD?
7. Connectivity? (HDMi, SCARTS etc. , and how many of each)
8. Frame colour? (Silver or Black, I'm looking at the shiny black effect to fit the colour of me front room)
9. Price range? (My budget is roughly between £400 and £600, but willing to go higher if inproves quality and lifespan of the TV)
10. Any other things I've missed please add also

please submit your answers and advice..
This info can be for other newbies like me who are scared of buying a HD TV

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish hh motor teco tm1000 dreambox 7020
cas 3interface
dragon cam.promax tv explorer 2.
My Location
norwich
hi i prefer lcd u want at least 2 hdmi ports .LG are the largest supplier of lcd flat panels they may have even invented them .there panels are use by several top brand tvs..silver is still in fashion for me not ready for black yet.ps i have not seen a good picture on any flat screen unless its on hd. rear projection still the best .any thing over 40" will look shite close up on normal res.i hate scart connectors a french man made them say no more .they are big and ugly and all ways falling out .dont foget built in freeview.and decent speakers often over looked crank it up in the shop the spotty assistant will love it.

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
Here's a great plasma with 2 hdmi inputs and all the usual bells and whistles, and will make any lcd green with envy, just put them side by side:
http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/reviews/plasma/Panasonic_TH-37PX60.htm
This one is silver and black, but the newer models are all black, like this one: PANASONIC TH37PX70PED. Since it's the new one it's a bit pricey at around 900£.

Personally i love plasma tvs, they give you the best image quality in SD and great image quality in HD. Don't be put off by the resolution of these tv sets, most are HD ready but more money will buy a full HD, they are great. Price wise you can't beat plasmas in pounds per inch and picture quality, and certainly when it comes to watch sports you can't beat a plasma. Lcds have a few problems with fast moving objects, 100hz/120hz models will solve that blury problem at a price, it's still very new technology.
An added bonus of plasma are the black levels, they are very similar to crts, if not a lot better. On lcd true blacks can be a bit expensive and one needs to fiddle around a bit to achieve the right settings. To finish off, get a japanese model, they have better overall construction quality and lower consumption.

The problem with plasma is image retention and burn in, still, with newer generation plasma sets you don't have to be that concerned. Anyway it's still a good idea to keep it in conservative settings for the first 100 hours. Not a big deal really.

As for sound quality, it's pretty much a mixed bag. Some lcds are very good, some are very bad, it's the same with plasma. I won't comment on that.

I'll leave a few links so you can get yourself up to date and figure out what's best for you. Then get a plasma. ;)

http://www.hdtvorg.co.uk/
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/
http://www.avsforum.com/

Bbigfoot

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax 5400irc
80cm Dish
Invacom 0.3 LNB
ToH 3.3 5.7.

P4 Xp home
3.2 pro.
My Location
Tyne Wear
Hi Marca,

You should add Laser Tv to your list if your not in a hurry.
look for (Mitsubishi Laser TV).

If you go for a Plasma or LCD you might aswell go for the top model
in Resolution terms.
Top model at this time is (1920 x 1080 resolution) and that will
display 1080p, With No Scaling.

BF...

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
As good as laser tv may be, it's still a complete unknown, would you really be comfortable with the idea of having your eye sight blasted with lasers for hours? DIY lasik!
Seriously, it's years too soon to consider it an option, you can't even buy one yet alone judge their image quality.
Getting back to plasma, off course
full hd is the best option if you can cough up the dosh. Pioneer makes some very good panels.