Subscribing abroad

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
This has been asked before on the forum but I get the impression that things have changed recently.

A friend who already has a box and a FTV card is interested in subscribing to get the film channels. I guess a new card will have to be issued as the existing card predates the card reissue.

A subscription could be taken out at a UK address that doesn't already have one, but how does it work if the friend generously offers to pay the bill on his credit card? Also does the card authorisation now have to be done via a telephone connection and new installation menu or does this only apply when it's a new, subsidised box ? (It would be a bit of a pain in the neck to temporarily install a dish and a telephone connection just for 24 hours or so.)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
All they have to do is phone Sky and tell them that they already have a FTV card and would like to subscribe, Sky will then send them a card, which can be activated by phoning them, the phone line doesn't need to be connected. Bear in mind though that you cannot just subscribe to the film channels, the minimum subscription with any movie channels is £26 and that is not all of them.

You may find it less aggravation to go to a local Sky approved installer, they will I'm sure be delighted to handle it for you and it'll probably be easier.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
I think easysat is talking about an installation outside the UK/ROI, in which case phoning Sky (from abroad) to ask for and authorize a subscription card might be risky. I know people who say they have never had any problems doing this, but on the other hand many people have stated that Sky can see at their switchboard that the incoming call is from abroad. One creative solution I heard of was this: get a person in the UK to initiate a call to Sky and then to conference-in the subscriber abroad. The subscriber can then do all the talking and give the correct responses while looking at his/her actual digibox abroad, while Sky simply see it as a UK call.

On the credit-card thing:
not sure I understood your question, but it may help you to know that I have two Sky subs on a UK bank account that is in a different name to the subscriber. The standard contract does not require that the account payer and the subscriber are the same person.

On the address thing:
there's no reason you can't have multiple subscriptions at a single address. If that worries you (i.e. if you're not simply prepared to say "mind your own business" when Sky inevitably asks why) then you can also register them at subscripted addresses, as if your house were subdivided into bedsits/flats (many are). So if you already have one at 999 Letsby Avenue then you could also register one at 999b Letsby Avenue. Or you simply register them all on different names at the same address. Many bedsits do not assign different addresses (a, b, c etc) to the individual rooms. It's quite normal for several different and unrelated people to be living in different rooms at the same house, and they might all very easily want separate Sky subscriptions. If you don't want to (or can't) take advantage of the special offers for multiple subscriptions, and Sky want to know why, you can either tell them to mind their own bleedin business or else you can point out that you barely know the others in your bedsit and would certainly not want to enter into some sort of cooperative scheme with them to share the pathetic discount that the so-called special offer brings.

2old

easysat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S + motorised 80cm dish, Amstrad DRX550 Digibox + fixed dish
My Location
pj::
Thanks for the replies.

If I go down the local authorised dealer route, can I walk into a shop and walk out with a card? Even better, can I walk in with a Digibox and walk out with a card married to the box?

I presume paying a subscription on a 'foreign' VISA card number is a no-no?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No, in most cases you won't walk out with a card, it will be sent to the UK address, but the ordering is easier. Not sure about the visa account, but I believe that there are members on this forum who pay by a non-UK credit card.

Xilt

Czech member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90 @ 23E,19E,13E,9E,5E,1W | Prodelin 1244 @ 28,2E | VU+DUO4K | NAS | Invacom QDF 031 | Nordix CM-402
My Location
CZ
another solution to phone Sky from abroad is using mobile phone with suspended caller ID, this definatelly worked for me when I called for card activation and yes I do pay monthly fees using my non-UK credit card

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
Hi, I also pay using a foreign credit card. No problems as yet after about 5 years or so. Why use a mobile to phone the UK from abroad ? You can also suspend the caller id using a land line. Only difference, the land line is a lot cheaper.

Methos.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
does blocking caller-id prevent the other party from even seeing that the call is coming in from abroad?

2old

Xilt

Czech member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90 @ 23E,19E,13E,9E,5E,1W | Prodelin 1244 @ 28,2E | VU+DUO4K | NAS | Invacom QDF 031 | Nordix CM-402
My Location
CZ
seems like it does, I phonee Sky three times from where I live and so far without any trouble, actually last time I called was for card activation in feb this year and since then colors ok

rsi50000

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have been using the skycards.net service for the last 4 months.
They set my account up with Sky and I pay monthly with my Spanish credit card . No probs. Card arrived with DHL 2 days after ordering and activated next day . I could have arranged it myself in the UK but I thought it would be better this way as all I have do if there is a problem is email them and they sort it out .

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I'm sure that they do a good job, but I do think that £150 per year for the service, over and above the package charge is a tad steep, in fact pretty close to extortion (in my humble opinion).

Sky value pack @ £12.50 per month ( paid directly to Sky via credit card each month) + Our service change £150 ( paid at start of subscription). If you already have a Sky digibox and only require a viewing card our service charge would be £190 for the first year then £150 for subsequent years

pietnoeck

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm sure that they do a good job, but I do think that £150 per year for the service, over and above the package charge is a tad steep, in fact pretty close to extortion (in my humble opinion)

As I live in Belgium and would like a Sky sub, is there a cheaper way of getting a sub if you have no UK address ?

Well I know somebody who is also from Belgium and lives in Manchester from the moment.
Can he take out a sub ?
If he leaves in a few months for Poland, will his sub be ended ?
I could ask him to take out a sub on my Visa just before he leaves.
Then he can take the box with him !(??? is this legal ?)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If he has a UK address then he can subscribe, providing the payments are kept up, there is no problem.

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
Originally posted by methos_de
Hi, I also pay using a foreign credit card. No problems as yet after about 5 years or so. Why use a mobile to phone the UK from abroad ? You can also suspend the caller id using a land line. Only difference, the land line is a lot cheaper.

Methos.

Being a bit of a newbie at this can you tell me how you manage to suspend your caller ID from a landline?

I can't suspend my mobile number - its set by the Network provider - if I switch it to "don't send User ID" then I can't use the phone!

Any ideas

Richard

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
Sorry mate cant help you. I live in Germany and to stop the caller id being sent I just dial *31# and then the number for SKY.
Over here *31# being dialled first prevents your number being sent (depending on what network ur on)
Probably be different in Egypt mind ;)

Methos.

pietnoeck

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thx for the quick answer.

So, to summarize : I buy a (second hand) skybox and ask my friend living in the UK to arrange a sub for this box which he has to activate with the card.
So the fact he is a foreigner (and leaving the country soon) doesn't matter ?
Then he has to enter my creditcard number on the the form for the subscription and as long as a pay Sky won't turn me off ?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Correct, although it doesn't have to be activated in the UK, just that it is easier if there is a problem.

jno

Reaction score
My Location
Burgenland, Austria
Hi,

anyone tried ringing the UK while roaming on a UK mobile phone? I have an orange phone and wondered if I can call Sky using this phone from EU land. Any suggestions welcomed!

Regards

jno

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes you should be able to without problems.