Subtitles problem-non Sky box

John T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm dish, dual LNB, Topfield TF5010PVR
My Location
North Staffordshire England
I have a Humax PVR9100, the only way I seem to be able to get subtitles is select Text Page 888. This works fine on BBC channels and whenever I have used Channel 4. However on Channel 5 it usually is ok, but on occasions the text lags speach. ITV is terrible, lots of the written words are missing, and those that do appear are out of sync, usually early. I cannot imagine what the problem can be, I would like to hear from anyone who has a non Sky box and use subtitles and if they have problems. Obviously a Humax 9100 user would be best but anyone would give me a pointer as to where the trouble is.
Thanks
John

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Er, I already answered this in a newsgroup (uk tech digital tv?).

Basically, most people get subtitles direct from the MPEG2 datastream via proprietry software (in Sky digibox or Freeview box). The teletext system also exists separately - with subtitles on it, page 888 in UK - but is not "primary delivery mode", hence may not be as good (not "designed for real time", so there might well be delays).

At the moment, BBCtv via Astra2 just transmits Ceefax page 888 - for teletext only - and nothing else! On ITV, apart from page 888, I'm not sure whether the "text" pages are actually in teletext format.

Anyway, there's not much you can do about it!

For info, Google: "mpeg2 transport stream".

(Added), hang on though, surely you've got a "subtitles" option, which should fetch the MPEG2 subtitles directly (just like a Sky digibox!)? Does this not work?

In fact, I've just got the 9100 instructions off Humax website. Section 4.3 is setting subtitles and language, so the facility should be there!

Also see section 9.2

John T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks for your reply Spiney. I have tried all the set up options for subtitles, nothing works, the actual Yellow subtitle button simply displays English and Off whatever I do. The blurb says
Subtitle supports EBU and DVB subtitle
I've tried contacting Humax but they have not replied to any of my emails, hey ho.
As it happens the box died on me completely earlier this week, so it has gone back to the supplier, I've told them about the subtitle problem, so maybe it will come back fully working. Iwish!

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
OK, John T, it does sound like a faulty receiver!

I looked at BBC1/2 and itv1/2, last night, Astra2, on Lidl sat receiver, both standard and teletext subtitles were there all channels, promptly displayed, no apparent difference.

It's certainly possible that "as broadcast" standard/teletext titles could appear at different times (timestamped, and "as received"), or be missing altogether, but I've not seen this so far.

Anyway, the subtitles are certainly there, both formats, if it don't work on return then ask for money back?

(Is there anyone else reading this, with a Humax 9100 PVR, and if so do the subtitles work ok? As John T says, would be helpful to know, give him something to tell Humax!).

jd58

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax 9100PVR
DiSEqC motorised 80CM Dish

My Location
Wales
I have just got a Humax 9100 but will not have it installed and operational until next sat. After then I should be able to add further to this. This nis also my first post on here!!

John T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Wellcome JD, you've come to a warm and comfortable place. Thanks, if you don't need subtitles then I am sure you will find it a great box, I am completely new to Satellite and found it easy to set up, having said that I only have a fixed dish. Maybe one day!:D

jd58

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax 9100PVR
DiSEqC motorised 80CM Dish

My Location
Wales
Thanks JohnT

I have a motorised 80cm dish and will be up and running this sat. I'm new to all this - been over on the Flookers and toecutters Den as well. Nice Galley of shipmates. :-thumbup

However, been puzzled by all this uploader and phoenix talk? Is it only for cards that need patchin? I have a new reality Cam with 4 plus - so shouln't need any patch for a while. Then again i would like to recieve films and footie as well as music and all the ususal FTA stuff. I don't really know what to expect untill I am connected. If any one is out there knows about the pro and cons of the reality +4 Cam please pm me.:-tree

MalM

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
MVision satellite receiver
My Location
scotland
I have MVision 8085 and MVision ST5 Digital receivers ( Non Sky )

I am having the same issues regarding subtitles....They lag and text is missing...It's horrendous...

On the MVision 8085 model the text is also hard to see as it appears transparent and changing the transparency option to 0% didnt help.

Worse yet i cannot receive any teletext at all...What i get is a page which says searching but it never finds anything except for Sky News which shows the teletext adverts when i click for teletext....Is ITV and Channel 4 even allowing teletext on satellite and if so is it restricted to skyboxes only ?

Now with the BBC i get a message saying use my text button on my skybox and then click the red button...Ok well thats no use as that doesn't work with these receivers.

I'm not sure how to get teletext on digital satellite with these receivers but the manual says i should be able to view teletext pages....I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong or whether the channels are just not sending teletext signals ?