Suggestion: Profile information Improvement

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
I would like to suggest ways of improving the members profile information database.

This will help to cut down on the number of posts needed in order to milk the information out of members who register just for a quickie or stay but forget to update their profile out of sheer laziness.

When registering to the forum for the first time, the profile registeration field is not setup as a MUST FILL IN field (it is just a simple text box) so anybody can register without "paying" for the privilege of becoming a member.

I think that the following fields should be filled in at the registration stage:

Fixed or Motorized
Pointing to which Satellites
Receiver make and model
Receiver Image Version

They still have the option of typing anything for example if they don't have a setup yet but will update it when it is operational.

If the form can't be changed for any technical reason, the least that we can do when there is a minimal data is to ask nicely to update the profile otherwise he will not get any replies.

Also, it would help to send an e-mail reminder on occasion to all members requesting them to check their profile and update it if there have been any changes in their setup equipments since registering.
Hopefully this will not crash the system if thousands rush in to update their profile at the same time.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Will have a chat with the other Admin and Mods and see what they think. :)

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
I think it might be best to proceed with caution in this respect.

It is a lovely idea, no doubt about it, but I think making it compulsory could put off new people who would like to join, especially for people completely new to the field who could well be seeking very basic advice.

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
Dont want to make this thread sound stupid, this is my own personal idea of a forum.

When i visit a site and im required to register i hate filling boxes out, it just winds me up. Especialy those that require image varifying..

I just want to register and start posting.. and then i add info as needs be..

As i say its own my own personal prefrence and doesnt always reflect on other potential members.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Well, I can see the point of view of both sides. Personally, when someone asks a question and does not have the required details I simply ask them to update their details before answering.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
HB13DISH said:
I think that the following fields should be filled in at the registration stage:

Fixed or Motorized
Pointing to which Satellites
Receiver make and model
Receiver Image Version

I agree, it's a good idea. Not sure about the Receiver image version though, as this only applies to Deamboxes etc.

As a minimum though, I think the Location, Dish Size, Receiver make would be very useful.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
If there's got to be just one compulsory field I would vote for Location.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I think psychometric profiling should be adopted :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Leave it out Topper, most of the Mod team would have been rejected on registration. :-lmao

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rolfw said:
Leave it out Topper, most of the Mod team would have been rejected on registration. :-lmao

What do you mean most? Which one of us could have got past question 2, come on Rolf spill the beans :eek:

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Perfectly sane when I joined - it's you lot that made me half a bubble off plumb :p

Llew

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Topper said:
What do you mean most? Which one of us could have got past question 2, come on Rolf spill the beans :eek:

OK, fair Doos, was trying to make the situation look better than it is. :)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Obviously the type of info from members listed by HB13DISH would be useful to us in replying but as suggested it could put ppl off joining. I think they need to get 'a feel' for the site to feel comfortable.

I don't if it's possible for VBulletin to generate macros but if we need to ask for the info mentioned, it would be good to just click on a macro name which then lists the stuff we need in a standard format.