SUN Direct DTH Updates. (Exclusively for the upcoming SUN Network DTH)

My Satellite Setup
Sun Direct DTH . Got it at last.. :)
My Location
Kerala, India
February 22, 2007

h++p://www.indiaenews.com/business/20070222/40490.htm

Kalanidhi Maran's Sun TV has secured the government's nod to induct 20 percent foreign equity worth $150 million in its direct-to-home (DTH) arm, it was announced Thursday.

February 20, 2007

h++p://us.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k7/feb/feb256.htm

It is learnt that Isro agreed to the demand for Sun for transponders after the failure of the Insat-4C last year. However, Isro has given the option to Sun to take transponders on a foreign satellite with the help of the space agency, since Insat 4B was meant for DD Direct..

curious

My Satellite Setup
DishTV Zenega CD1006,
Airtel digital TV
My Location
Pune (Latitude: 18° 28'N, Longitude: 73° 52'E), Maharashtra, India
Entire satellite exclusively for DD!!! What will DD do with 12 KU transponders? DD is not even effectively utilizing 5 transponders. They have yet to fulfill 50 channels promise they made long time back. To effectively utilize 12 transponders DD needs 150 channels on its DTH. When will it happen? May be, INSAT 4B will run out of its designed life by then. :-doh!

My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kerala, India
_h++p://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/002200702231756.htm

After failing to get any relief from broadcast tribunal TDSAT, Direct-To-Home (DTH) satellite TV operator TataSky has now approached the Delhi High Court seeking directions to broadcaster Sun TV to share its feed

Justice J P Singh asked Sun TV to file its reply and posted the matter for further hearing on March 13
Hearing on March 13th !! Somehow Maran wud see to it that tata sky does not get SUN's signals before SUN Direct launch .. :mad:

My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kerala, India
Another news :-doh!

Now.. as per this link, SUN will get 7 of the 12 Ku transponders on INSAT 4B . The other 5 will be given to DD.

_http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=155842

According to ISRO officials, Sun Direct has been offered seven of the 12 Ku transponders on Insat 4B to be launched on March 10. The other five have been given to DD, which will move from NSS-6, where it has five transponders, along with Dish TV. It is believed that Sun will sign a ten-year lease.

geeky1

who am i ? whence am i ?
My Satellite Setup
eternal bliss
My Location
illusion
Sun ready, DTH play becoming hot chase for satellite space
__www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k7/feb/feb317.htm
By SIBABRATA DAS
(24 February 2007 7:00 pm)

MUMBAI: Having finalised on Malaysia-based Astro as his 20 per cent equity partner, Sun network chairman and managing director Kalanithi Maran is preparing the ground to launch his direct-to-home (DTH) service. He has decided on Iredeto as the encryption system while the set-top boxes (STBs) will be from Coship Electronics in China and South Africa-based UEC Technologies, a source close to the company says.

"He is also looking at more STB vendors. Besides the basic box which will be competitively priced, he will have graded STBs. Multiple vendors will ensure supply safety in case of a huge demand for his service," adds the source.

Maran will be using MPEG-4 technology that will allow him to compress more TV channels per transponder. While MPEG-2 can pack in around 12 channels, the advanced compression technology will be able to accommodate over 20 channels.

Maran will have seven Ku-band transponders on Insat-4B, which launches on 10 March, while Prasar Bharati's free-to-air (FTA) package DD Direct Plus will have five on the same satellite.

He may consider himself lucky when the launch of Insat-4C satellite failed in July 2006 after the rocket carrying it veered off course and exploded. He had booked six Ku-band transponders (and one more for digital satellite news gathering) on it for Sun Direct's DTH service.

By being located on the same satellite, Sun's subscribers will be able to access DD Direct's channels without Maran having to separately put them on his transponders.

Dish TV which was sharing the NSS-6 satellite with DD, will not be hit badly after the migration. Since NSS-6 is at 95 degree East, a minor realignment of antenna will be required for receiving the channels as Insat-4B shall be located at 93.5 degree East. Tata Sky, on the other hand, will have to recarry DD channels on their transponders.

The DTH play in India is, indeed, turning out to be a hot chase for satellite space. If Tata Sky had to wait for the launch of Insat-4A as rival Dish TV aggressively went on mopping up customers, it is now the turn of Anil Ambani's Bluemagic and Bharti Telemedia to plead with the Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) to provide them with Ku-band transponders.

In the sprint to start DTH before the market gets taken away, Bharti may be the clear loser. Unless, of course, it gets the approval from Isro to be on Measat-3, a foreign satellite launched from the Astro Group.

"Measat has made their Ku-band transponders available for us and have supplied the data. We are studying it technically and are making an internal evaluation," says Isro contract management and legal services director SB Iyer.

The satellite has 49 dbW (decibel Watts) as compared to Insat's 53. "We have indicated this problem and Measat has said that it would examine it and come up with a solution. Insat-4B has 53 dcW and offers a powerful beam across the country. We will have to ensure quality and also come into an agreement with Measat. Besides, the users will also have to express their interest in the satellite," says Iyer.

Measat-3 has 24 Ku-band transponders and has been designed to provide capability for data services and DTH applications in Malaysia, Indonesia and the Indian Subcontinent.

If no clearance is given to Measat, Bharti will have to wait the longest with Insat-4G launching only by 2008-end. The DTH market could possibly have settled by then with the spoils being distributed among Dish TV, Tata Sky, Sun and Reliance's Bluemagic.

Anil Ambani will get a shot at the DTH market after Insat-4CR (replacement) launches in the quarter beginning July this year. Reliance has asked for eight Ku-band transponders and Isro is reserving the remaining four for other users like National Informatics Centre.

member91040

My Satellite Setup
DISH TV,DIRECT DD+,
TATA SKY,HATHWAY,
NOKIA 9660S,
PCI SAT CARD TWINHAN NSS6, PAS7/10, ASIASAT3S, INSAT,INETEL SAT, EUROSTAR, DremBox, & Multi LNB'S
My Location
INDIA
Whole News pack in one.. Good News. Keep on comming.

My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kerala, India
March 07, 2007

_http://www.business-standard.com/common/storypage.php?autono=276838&leftnm=8&subLeft=0&chkFlg=

Tata Sky is also hopeful of tapping the Sun Network channels soon. The dispute between the two is yet to be settled by the Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT).

Mehra said, “We are hopeful that we will very soon be able to get Sun Network channels in our basket.”

He further said, “We talked to them and are trying to settle the things.” Tata Sky is hopeful of beaming Sun Network’s all three regional language channels — Tamil, Telugu and Kannada.

My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kerala, India
March 08, 2007

_http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/008200703081640.htm

^-F ^-F Final preparations on for launch of INSAT-4B ^-F ^-F

Preparations are in the final stages at Kourou in French Guiana for the launch early on Sunday of the INSAT-4B satellite on European space consortium Arianespace's Ariane-5 rocket.

The launch of Ariane-5, which will carry India's indigenously-built 3,025-kg INSAT-4B geostationary satellite and Skynet 5A of EADS Astrium, is set for between 3.55 am and 4.28 am that day.

INSAT-4B has 12 high power Ku-band and 12 C-band transponders to augment direct-to-home (DTH) television services as well as other communication and television services.

My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kerala, India
:-looky

March 12, 2007

_http://www.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k7/mar/mar126.php

:-WooHoo Insat-4B launched successfully :-WooHoo

Isro's latest satellite, Insat-4B, was successfully launched early this morning by the European Ariane-5 ECA launch vehicle from Kourou in French Guiana.

With 12 high power Ku-band transponders and 12 C-band transponders, Insat-4B will further augment the Insat capacity for Direct-To-Home (DTH) television services and other communication and TV services

member91040

My Satellite Setup
DISH TV,DIRECT DD+,
TATA SKY,HATHWAY,
NOKIA 9660S,
PCI SAT CARD TWINHAN NSS6, PAS7/10, ASIASAT3S, INSAT,INETEL SAT, EUROSTAR, DremBox, & Multi LNB'S
My Location
INDIA
Thanks for the excellence.

My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kerala, India
March 13, 2007

_http://www.business-standard.com/economy/storypage.php?leftnm=3&subLeft=1&chklogin=N&autono=277522&tab=r

Insat-4B satellite has paved the way for the Sun Network’s direct-to-home (DTH) venture :-righton

Insat-4B’s launch will increase competition among the DTH players with the availability of over 200 additional channel offerings by Sun Direct, DD Direct and Dish TV. The six transponders which Sun Network gets on Insat-4B will help it offer over 80-100 channels.

curious

My Satellite Setup
DishTV Zenega CD1006,
Airtel digital TV
My Location
Pune (Latitude: 18° 28'N, Longitude: 73° 52'E), Maharashtra, India
rohit444 said:
March 13, 2007

_http://www.business-standard.com/economy/storypage.php?leftnm=3&subLeft=1&chklogin=N&autono=277522&tab=r

Insat-4B satellite has paved the way for the Sun Network’s direct-to-home (DTH) venture :-righton

Insat-4B’s launch will increase competition among the DTH players with the availability of over 200 additional channel offerings by Sun Direct, DD Direct and Dish TV. The six transponders which Sun Network gets on Insat-4B will help it offer over 80-100 channels.
Is it six transponders or seven transponders that Sun is getting? If it's seven, then there won't be any technical problem for Sun to offer close to 150 channels, given that they are using more efficient MPEG4 encoding. Add 50 odd FTA channels to that offered by DD DTH (which would be using the same INSAT 4B satellite) and count goes upto 200.

My Satellite Setup
BEL 5518 DTH FTA
My Location
India
curious said:
Is it six transponders or seven transponders that Sun is getting? If it's seven, then there won't be any technical problem for Sun to offer close to 150 channels, given that they are using more efficient MPEG4 encoding. Add 50 odd FTA channels to that offered by DD DTH (which would be using the same INSAT 4B satellite) and count goes upto 200.
i think Sun is going to get 7 transponders; 6 for DTH n the 1 for news gathering. DD DTH is going to get 5 transporders.

My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kerala, India
curious said:
Is it six transponders or seven transponders that Sun is getting?
It should be Seven .

_http://www.indiaenews.com/technology/20070312/42690.htm

According to sources in Antrix, with the allotment of Insat-4B's 12 Ku-band transponders to Sun TV (seven) and DD (five)...

_http://www.business-standard.com/common/storypage.php?autono=277586&leftnm=4&subLeft=0&chkFlg=

The launch of Insat-4B may provide only cold comfort to several of these potential customers as the entire capacity of this satellite has already been committed, the biggest gainers being Sun DTH, which gets seven of the 12 DTH transponders....

My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kerala, India
March 19, 2007

_http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/002200703191421.htm

TDSAT asks Sun TV to provide signals to TataSky :eek:

Broadcast tribunal TDSAT today directed Sun TV to provide its signals to DTH operator TataSky on a pick-and-choose basis.

In an interim order, the Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) also asked TataSky to pay 50 per cent of the rates wanted by Sun TV for its channels.

Sun TV had demanded Rs 85 for all its 20 channels from TataSky. However, TataSky would be allowed to pick and choose channels on an a-la-carte basis and pay half the price of what Sun TV had submitted before sector regulator TRAI.

TataSky, a 80: 20 joint venture between Tata and Star India, had earlier alleged that Sun TV was denying signals due to its own interest in the Direct-To-Home business.

TataSky has been contending that Sun TV does not have a bouquet system, so it should be allowed to pick and choose particular channels.

My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kerala, India
April 03,2007

Sun TV told to give signals to TataSky in 3 days :-duel

_http://www.financialexpress.com/latest_full_story.php?content_id=159958

Irked by Sun Tv's resistance to its interim order of giving signals to DTH operator TataSky, broadcast tribunal TDSAT asked the Kalanidhi Maran-owned channel to comply with its directions within three days.
TataSky, a joint venture between Tata and Star India, has been arguing that Sun TV was denying signals as it would soon launch its own Direct-To-Home venture Sun Direct.

My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kerala, India
April 05,2007

_http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/006200704052028.htm

Sun TV joins hands with Malaysia'a Astro for DTH services :cool:

Kalanithi Maran promoted Sun TV Group has forged a joint venture with Malaysia-based Astro All Asia Network Plc to provide Direct-to-Home (DTH) services in India in the second half of this year.

member91040

My Satellite Setup
DISH TV,DIRECT DD+,
TATA SKY,HATHWAY,
NOKIA 9660S,
My Location
INDIA
rohit444 said:
April 05,2007

_http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/006200704052028.htm

Sun TV joins hands with Malaysia'a Astro for DTH services :cool:

Kalanithi Maran promoted Sun TV Group has forged a joint venture with Malaysia-based Astro All Asia Network Plc to provide Direct-to-Home (DTH) services in India in the second half of this year.
Thats Good News...!

My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kerala, India
April 07, 2007

_http://us.indiantelevision.com/headlines/y2k7/apr/apr100.php

TataSky to ask Sun to be blacked out from cable, DTH platforms :-snipe

TataSky will on Monday (9 April) pray before the Telecom Disputes Settlement Appellate Tribunal the Sun TV be disallowed from being aired in any cable or DTH platform.

My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kerala, India
April 07, 2007

_http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=160394

Tata Sky has argued that Sun TV was simply stalling to gain time before the launch of its own DTH venture, Sun Direct, due in the first week of July. Sun begins signal testing on April 12

So.. Sun direct DTH is likely to be launched on July first week ... :-dgang