Superjack EZ6000 Positioner Probs

iceeman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Hi all, i was wondering if anybody is using this positioner as i have got one and am having trouble setting it up.

It is powering a jaeger 99 h-h motor, which has been working for a year with the older style superjack positioner.

The problem is that it is loosing the positions that i programme. I re-set the positioner to zero on true south back off to Thor and set this as memory 16. ( this was the position on my older positioner and i am used to the numbers ). If i exercise the the unit fully west, fully east and back to position 16 it is fine. It is when i start adding other positions in the memory that the fun starts. Previously good positions are lost.

I have tried a new motor, reed switch, cables and a new positioner ( i sent the first back as faulty ), all have the same problem. It must be something that i am doing but i can not see the error of my ways.

To me the most likely thing is that the replacement is also faulty, but i can not face sending another back as the supplier promised that a new one was in the post every day for a week.

Any suggestion are appreciated.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Is the post absolutely solid on the wall or in the ground

Could it be the boom arm of the dish has come loose from the back plate ?

iceeman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Yes all fixings are secure, there is nothing loose.
With only one position in the memory i can move the dish through the full arc and find all other positions manually, then return correctly to my pre-programmed position. As soon as i add other positions in the memory things start to go wrong.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
On some of the olders style manual positioners the main voltage to the actuator is controlled by two relays operating in tandem. When the commands to work East and West are given, the relay sends the 36V in either positive or negative to the actuator outside. When the command is stopped the actuator is halted by both the loss of voltage and a short actoss the relay within the design of the circuit (this provides a reverse current to the actuator and prevents the momentum of the motor windings and gears from continuing onwards)

If the circuit has failed in shorting the momentum will ensure the motor travels further than the required position, and so the memorised positions will not be stopped on.

I would check the positioner for dry joints around the relays and maybe clean up the relay contacts if these can be uncovered.

iceeman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Hi and thanks for the replys. I will investigate what you have suggested, however the positioner is brand new, and is the second new one to show this problem.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Are you using screened cable ?

iceeman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
I was not at first and thought that may be the problem so changed to screened, no change.
I do have a lot of computers running in the same room which should not cause problems but i will move the positioner outside, next to the motor and connect with a short cable. That should eliminate interferance.
Thanks again for the suggestions.