surround sound ?

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
with my dvd home theatre system can i set my thompson sky digibox up so i can listen to the "normal tele" in surround sound

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
If it aint transmitted that way then the info isn't there to resolve really.
However, my old Yammy DSP amp has a fair go in the correct mode.

L.:)

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
your knowlege never ceases to amaze

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Most programmes nowadays have surround sound encoded into the nornal stereo signal which can be decoded by Dolby equipment into surround sound (3 speakers) or even Prologic (5 speakers plus optional subwoofer).

This is not the same as Dolby digital and is available through normal Digiboxes as well as Freeview and even Nicam stereo on good old analogue terrestrial.

So, if your DVD systen can extract the information from an external sound source you should be OK.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You need to tell us what your home cinema system is. If it is a £100 piece of sh*t - then no.

If you have a decent 6.1 or 7.1 amp (ok, or even a 5.1) with lots of connections and some good speakers then yes (Dolby EX, Neo 6 Cinema etc).

I can watch my TV through the aerial and listen in Neo 6- sounds crap mind... through the DB sounds better :)

And what do you mean by "surround sound"?

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
My Location
cheshire,algeria
i think my dvd home theatre system is cr*p

so i've got another idea:rolleyes:
on the back of my computer i have the ability to connect speakers etc for surround sound,
problem: speakers downstairs, computor upstairs (no i cannot move comp downstairs, or speakers up stairs),
so:
can i create an extension setup ( i was thinking of running cable from computor-bedroom upstairs-outside-downwall-inside-living room-speakers)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Dolby 5.1 isn't used on Freeview, due to strict bandwidth limitations. However, where a surround sound source exists - usually on analogue Dolby soundtrack films - then this is encoded into the L/R two stereo channels, as phase information. Some decoders can "extract" this, and re-matrix it for a 5.1 speaker setup. If yours can't, a possible alternative is "the poor man's surround sound", connect a smaller pair of rear speakers across the existing front 2, but in antiphase (connections reversed). Creates a reasonable "soundfield", depending on exactly where you're sitting.

Note, this entirely at your own risk! Most consumer products use integrated IC (single chip) audio outputs, containing current limiting, so you can't overload and destroy the amplifiers. But, this might not be present on some very expensive "audiophile" hi fi amplifiers!

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Although my TV can process dolby digital, I was never happy with the speakers, especially the wireless rear ones which seemed to fluctuate with any movement in the room. So I purchased a system which has a main unit of a combined sub-woofer and processor built in and run wired speakers from that. This connects to my TV via coax digital and to the DVD and Sly box via optical digital.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Well, I've tried the "poor man" version, seems reasonably good, but never invested in a "proper" surround system (even though they're now very cheap!).

Stereo is a funny thing, it's only "ideal" in one particular place, and there's all sorts of "acoustical funnies", speaker quirks, room reflections, etc. Sometimes I plug in my amazing LS3/5s, for occasional tv stereo, and the "stereo image" is superb, no matter where you are. That "shouldn't" be possible, and I've no idea why it works. Was this brilliantly good design, or just a "happy accident"?

Dolby in cinemas depends very much on the Haas effect, which requires specially lining up up the equipment per auditorium, etc. How well this works in living rooms, I've no idea. But, I'd have thought, in a smaller space, phase information should also work quite well, and that's what the "cheap and cheerful" version does. After all, it's in widespread use, those tiny one-box speaker systems which give "very wide" stereo work in exactly the same way, by feeding an anti-phase signal to the opposite side.