Survey finds Britons can't crack boiling eggs

N

net1

Three-quarters of people do not know how to boil an egg, according to a poll.

Asked how long it would take to soft boil an egg, 70% said three minutes or less, which would leave the white runny and raw, the ICM poll for The Guardian found.

Four per cent thought 6 to 10 minutes, which would result in a hard yolk.

The correct answer is four to five minutes, which was the response given by 25% of those asked.

The poll also found that 82% of those asked want food adverts aimed at children to be banned or regulated more tightly and 79% thought food manufacturers were irresponsible.

A total of 45% were worried about how healthy their food is. That percentage rose to 52% among those with children aged 11 to 18.

ICM interviewed a random sample of 1,006 adults aged 18 and above by telephone between April 25 and 28.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Depends on what type of egg it is

Duck egg - 3 minutes exactly

Chicken egg - (Size 1) - 3 min 30 seconds

Goose egg - 3 mins 50 seconds

All above times are boiling times based on eggs placed in warm water and brought to boil (less chance of breaking the shell)

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
I'm a bit puzzled by this as it seems pemised on the idea that the yolk has to be soft. Is that some old British charter or something?
I eat my boiled eggs cold and I can't imagine anything more revolting than cold soft yolk. Best way is to leave them in the pan till the smell of scorched metal drags you away from the PIC programmer.

2old

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hard centres - no way

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Our local farm has just started selling duck eggs again

My favourite Sunday breakfast, two (soft) boiled duck eggs, nutty brown bread toast with butter soldiers, coarse three fruit marmalade and a strong pot of real coffee. Then back to bed for a two hour snooze.