switch from analog to digital - Free To Air - no signal

pivo_stevo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sv1902vc acer lnb
My Location
county Down
I have an old analog sv1902 lidl box with acer universal lnb, signal was ok from astra, but now with the cessation of the analog signal I have purchased a chepo freesat box, without moving disk attached freesat box, but no signal.

Anyone an idea why - does the digital reception need to be more accurately positioned, or is there something stupid I am missing?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Have you selected Astra 2, 19.2E, in your receivers menu?
How old is your LNB?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Analogue was on Astra 1 at 19.2E.

Freesat is the BBC/ITV Consortium's branded EPG and Channel package from Astra 2/Eurobird at 28E

So I'm guessing that what you've actually acquired is a generic Free To Air (FTA) Digital Satellite Receiver?

The problem you have could arise from the LNB (Is it a Universal 9570/10600 device, or a single band device from the old days?), or it could be due to not making the correct LNB settings in the Receiver menus.

Please clarify what receiver and LNB you have.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I'll move this Thread out of the 28E Sky/Freesat/SAORSat Forum to a more suitable one, depending upon what additional info you can give us.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you have bought a branded Freesat box, then you won't get anything, as you cannot get into the menus normally without a lock and successful scan on Astra 28.2.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Sorry typed 2 instead of 1, I'm not a good typist:-ohcrap

Can you please post the make/model of the receiver, I've never had one of these freesat boxes so I wasn't aware of their limitations, regarding the menu problem, I have come across something similar on a DVD recorder, which wouldn't let me use it until after I'd scanned in a few Freeview digital channels, which was most annoying, as I hadn't got an aerial connection.
I planned to use it in AV mode to record from my digital satellite revceiver. In the end I had to take it to a friends, scan in the channels then take it home and use it, to this day I haven't used the inbuilt tuner.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Just to summarise what has been said.

If it's a genuine Freesat box you will need to move the dish from Astra 1 at 19E to Astra 2 at 28E.

If its just an FTA (free-to-air) box it will work on 19E but there isn't much in the way of English language channels worth watching. If you're expecting BBC/ITV/C4/C5 etc you'll have to move the dish to 28E anyway.

pivo_stevo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sv1902vc acer lnb
My Location
county Down
The LNB says it is universal (acer), the new box is a basic goodmans gfsat101sd. It will not let me past the first screen - it shows absolutely zero signal, which has me thinking something fundemental is wrong.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Of course it won't ............... That box is designed primarily for use on AStra 2 at 28E (UK Freesat)................. you imply from earlier posts that your dish is pointing to Astra 1 at 19.2E (Which is where the now defunct Analogue Channels were from).

Although Freesat boxes do have a non-Freesat mode (for use off 28E), you cannot enable it until the box has been correctly set up in Freesat mode on 28E.

If you only want to watch Digital Satellite from 19.2E (which is primarily German) then you'd be better off with a generic Free To Air box, not a Freesat box.

Please tell us exactly what it is that you do want to watch - all the info in this Post of mine has already been said by myself and others and there is lack of clarity somewhere.

And please re-read all the replies so far.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I don't think the Goodman box allows scanning of non-Freesat channels, (or another satellites) until it has had a sniff of the Astra 2 satellite, and received a later upgrade.