System setup for France

M

misguided

Hi everyone. New to the forum and hoping for a little advice on setting up a Sky digital system in France.

I purchased a Sky system here in Britain a year ago and hoping to use it in the South of France. I am looking for any information on dish alignment please.

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Depending on where you will be in the South, a 60/80cm dish should do, there is a thread immediately below this with comments on Astra reception and what equipment is ideal for different areas.

To align the dish, it makes life easier if you have access to a small meter (sat beeper), but it can be done with the Digibox, just requires a compass and a lot of patience. It will help if you can get a portable TV on an extended aerial lead, or perhaps even put everything outside, then you can watch the receiver sinal strength and quality bars as you slowly move the dish.

Rolf

M

misguided

Many thanks rolfw.

As a starting point, is it a case of just basically pointing the dish in the right direction (South East, please correct me if wrong) and do the "sweep" and keeping your eye on the signal bars?

Is it true that you won't get a picture for a couple of minutes, even if you hit the target?

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You'll get a picture after a few seconds, but best to check on the signal strength facility, then it will tell you if its locked or not. If you can borrow a compass it will help, just download the Swedish microwave calculator http://www.smw.se and enter your coordinates, it will give you elevation and azimuth. Once you're in approximately the right direction you can then do the slow sweep, you could always borrow an old analogue receiver and find Astra 19.2, then all you have to do is sweep approximately 10 degrees East and down by a couple of degrees.

Rolf

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
I helped a friend set up a sky system in the north of france. He did it using a sat beeper (a lillte device you put between the reciever and the LNB that generates a tone you listen to with a little ear piece)
The higher the tone the better the signal
Works very well and costs just £20. You can buy the sat beeper in France at a DIY shop Leroy Merlin.

nobbly :+