gazkampala

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laptop
not yet bought satellite
setup, but looking
My Location
Kampala Uganda
Hi, Im over in the UK at the mo and I am wanting to take back a box Uganda a receiver box which will pick up available free to air TV channels. I am a complete novice, so need pointing in the right direction. I can get dishes, cables in Kampala, but the receivers are hard to come. A friend in Kampala suggested a Humax receiver, I have been on their web site and there are so many different specs, can anyone help. I am embarrassed to ask such a basic question having read some of the stuff on here, but what the hec!
thanks

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum gazkampala

well first you need to decide if you are requiring a C band or Ku band stb, if Ku band then lots of places sell very basic Ku band receivers, there is lots of info on the forum. C band receivers are not so common in Europe as there is very little demand for them in the skies above the UK

gazkampala

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laptop
not yet bought satellite
setup, but looking
My Location
Kampala Uganda
You have already gone over my head! "C band or Ku band stb" I am guessing these are different signals different satellites send? Im not sure which is the most popular in that part of Africa. Any web sites which can help me to decide?
Thanks

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Not really the African continent is rather poorly served when it comes to sat tv and information is rather sparse all round. I suspect the poor infrastructure and high cost of satellite tv is the limiting factor, thus I am not aware of what is transmitted to there, however I do know that most European Ku beams cannot be received there.

_http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Africa.html

may be a starting point for you

gazkampala

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laptop
not yet bought satellite
setup, but looking
My Location
Kampala Uganda
ok thanks, I shall look around...

gazkampala

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laptop
not yet bought satellite
setup, but looking
My Location
Kampala Uganda
I have chance of buying a HDCI-2000 does any one know if this would pickup satellite signal in East Africa? have been told SESAT 1 covers this part of Africa.... HELP

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Eutelsat Sesat at 36 East fixed beam covers N Africa certainly but Uganda is well out of the footprint and would require a silly size of dish it would seem

_http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/sesat_fixed.html

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
Try this link: _http://www.rdi-board.com/showthread.php?t=36090&page=145

There are posters there with good knowledge of the satellite scene in Kenya, Uganda etc

I do believe that many modern receivers can do both C and Ku band. Anyhow, I would recommend getting info from the site linked before making any purchases.

wium

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
C and Ku
My Location
South Africa
I can confirm that all modern satellite receivers cater for C and KU bands.To be honest i have never seen a receiver with C band only.

gazkampala

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laptop
not yet bought satellite
setup, but looking
My Location
Kampala Uganda
ok, thats very helpful, thanks