T.V with built in digital making weird noise

Chrystal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T.V with built in freeview
My Location
UK
Hi,

I bought Dual DLCD1905 TV with built in digital/freeview the other day.

I've set it all up and decided to watch some telly tonight in bed. The thing is... when I'm watching the freeview channels there is a noise coming from the telly, it's a slightly high pitched sort of noise. Sounds a bit like crickets chirping in the night lol (if I mute the telly the noise is still there).

I only get this noise when I am watching the digital stations. If I switch the telly over to the analogue stations I don't get this noise.

What could it be?

Complete newbie to this sort of stuff :p

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Whatever it is, probably one of the components on the digital side of the receiver, you probably need to take the set back to get it sorted/swapped.

Chrystal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Well I took it back today, exchanged it for the exact same model, and guess what... this one is doing it too.

So it's either these brand of T.V's or it's my booster causing it?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Could it be interference from another electrical appliance in the bedroom like a mobile phone, a radio alarm, fluorescent light, PC, Laptop, etc.?
Just write down all the appliances that are in the room and investigate them one by one.
Have you tried taking it to another location in the house and see if it still give this noise?

Few months ago I had in my office a strange noise coming from my radio and it nearly drove me crazy and I had to switch my radio off for hours. There was nothing in my office room that was causing it, and finally I found that the source was coming from an old PL light bulb that was in the corridor.
Took it out and the noise was gone.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Sounds like the noise you get with borderline reception of the digital signal, although it's usually accompanied by some pixellation on screen.
Does your picture breaking up at all during the effect?

Llew

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Also take out the aerial cable from the rear of the TV. Connect a DVD player to it via a scart connection and see if the noise is still present. This will tell you if it's DVB signal related, although I reckons it's a fault with the TV:D

Chrystal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
HB13DISH said:
Could it be interference from another electrical appliance in the bedroom like a mobile phone, a radio alarm, fluorescent light, PC, Laptop, etc.?
Just write down all the appliances that are in the room and investigate them one by one.
Have you tried taking it to another location in the house and see if it still give this noise?

Few months ago I had in my office a strange noise coming from my radio and it nearly drove me crazy and I had to switch my radio off for hours. There was nothing in my office room that was causing it, and finally I found that the source was coming from an old PL light bulb that was in the corridor.
Took it out and the noise was gone.

Ok this may sound like a silly question, but would only electrical items that are plugged in cause an interference?

Currently I have a PC next to the T.V but it isn't even plugged in. (I will also use the T.V as a PC monitor). The only other thing I have near it is my Xbox 360. Mobile phone isn't near it etc etc.

When I first tried the T.V out I did it in the living room, and I do recall that noise being there then. I remember actually thinking it was coming from the actual programme on the telly. I actually thought it was crickets chirping in the programme lol.

Llew said:
Sounds like the noise you get with borderline reception of the digital signal, although it's usually accompanied by some pixellation on screen.
Does your picture breaking up at all during the effect?

Llew

No, my picture is fine. No breaking up at all. No breaks in the sound either.

satelliteman said:
Also take out the aerial cable from the rear of the TV. Connect a DVD player to it via a scart connection and see if the noise is still present. This will tell you if it's DVB signal related, although I reckons it's a fault with the TV:D

Well the noise is only there when I am watching the freeview channels. If I switch it to the analogue setting the noise isn't there.
On some channels it's worse (freeview). And on some freeview channels it's barely even there... normally on the ones I don't ever watch lol.

I will be taking this T.V back. I will probably go to an electrical store this time to get another T.V
If the new completely different brand T.V makes the same noise, then obviously it must be to do with my aerial/booster/something causing an interference.

Thanks

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
It can also be something that is coming from your neighbours, unless you have a detached house.
Would be interesting to see how this story ends. :)

Chrystal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
HB13DISH said:
It can also be something that is coming from your neighbours, unless you have a detached house.
Would be interesting to see how this story ends. :)

Yes we are detached.

Hopefully I will have sorted the problem out by the weekend.

I'll let you know what happens.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I wonder whether it could be digital hash generated by the built-in computer. This might be leaking into the audio lines if the sections are badly designed for isolation.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
My Sony satellite STB makes that noise when it needs a forced update or just initialising .........chirp

Chrystal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hey everyone,

Well today I went to Bennetts and bought a completely different telly.
I got a Humax LGB19DTT.

Guess what? PERFECT! Set it all up, did the freeview channel search found all my channels and no crickets chirping! :-thumb1

So it can't have been anything interfering like my booster, wire etc etc.
It must just be that brand of telly, or a faulty batch maybe!

Anyway, glad it's sorted :)