Taken from today's Evening Standard

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Best brains baffled as ITV quiz says two plus two is 506

ITV COULD be ·fined after broadcasting a mathematics challenge on late"night television which some of the country's best brains are unable to solve.
The puzzle was broadcast on the Make Your Play programme which starts at midnight and is aimed at poor sleepers and those who have been drinking.
The on-screen question headed "Add the pence" listed: two pounds, 25p, £1.47, 16p and fifty pence and offered a prize of £30,000.
Three-and-a-half hours after the programme started, the host announced the answer was 506 and that no one had won, but did not explain the solution which an ITV source said was standard practice since "it would ruin the game for some people".
But mathematics professors, the high IQ. organisation Mensa and the lateral thinking pioneer Edward de Bono all failed to come up with a solution.
Only the cryptanalysts of Bletchley Park, who helped end the Second World War by breaking Nazi ciphers, were able to suggest an answer. But ITV said the code breakers were wrong and the solution was not that complicated.
Professor of Mathematics at Oxford University, Marcus du Sautoy, showed the puzzle to other lecturers.
He said: "No one can fmd a good reason for the answer being 506. That's not to say that we haven't missed some clever perspective but there was a growing sense among those I talked to that this could be a scam.
"Anyone adding up the pence in the obvious way gets to 438. So there is a missing 68 pence." -
The regulator Ofcom said it was investigating 20 complaints against the show.

So..... members, do you have any thoughts on a solution?:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, it is 506, I had the other 68 pence in my pocket. :-lmao

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
rolfw said:
Yes, it is 506, I had the other 68 pence in my pocket. :-lmao
I wouldn't say that was exactly lateral thinking.:eek:

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Course it's a bloody scam, if OFCOM don't deem it as such we'll know once and for all that this country has gone to the dogs.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Only zero-IQs would ever think that could ever win one of these quizzes.

Then again nobody every got poor by overestimating the intelligence of the general viewing public.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
probably being abit thick but how do they get 506 as the answer would be 438 if you add up two pounds, 25p, £1.47, 16p and fifty pence

its all an effing con

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
It says add up the numbers NOT add up the pennies! so you can add in another 12 for starters (1+4+7) plus 7 (1+6) plus 7 (2+5) plus any other covoluted way to add in extra numbers - I can add in 47 and 1 no problem - whic adds up to 74 but you see the principle :D

harrowwoman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
One dish 1.5cm with 3 LNBs picking up Hotbird,Arabsat,Astra
old Echostar receiver, GlobalStar 6000i
My Location
Harrow,Middlesex, UK
I wonder if the 'two pounds' at the beginning (instead of £2) would have anything to do with it? Just a thought......laterally speaking that is.