TataSky wants only some Zee channels

rohit0103

My Satellite Setup
Tata Sky- Thomson STB
My Location
Pune india
ARTICLE

Direct-to-Home operator TataSky has submitted that it cannot carry all channels of private broadcaster Zee-Turner as some of them are region specific and not of interest to all subscribers.

member91040

My Satellite Setup
DISH TV,DIRECT DD+,
TATA SKY,HATHWAY,
NOKIA 9660S,
PCI SAT CARD TWINHAN NSS6, PAS7/10, ASIASAT3S, INSAT,INETEL SAT, EUROSTAR, DremBox, & Multi LNB'S
My Location
INDIA
rohit0103 said:
ARTICLE

Direct-to-Home operator TataSky has submitted that it cannot carry all channels of private broadcaster Zee-Turner as some of them are region specific and not of interest to all subscribers.
Soo what would be if some one needs regional specific channels.

rohit0103

My Satellite Setup
Tata Sky- Thomson STB
My Location
Pune india
member91040 said:
Soo what would be if some one needs regional specific channels.
well..you can always go to the service provider who is providing you with regional channels..but dont know what wud you do with your current TSKY STB..! if TSKY pulls off regional channel, will it refund my money and take back STB ? i doubt that...

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
rohit0103 said:
if TSKY pulls off regional channel, will it refund my money and take back STB ? i doubt that...
Of course they wont - I guarantee in your contract there will be a line saying something along the lines "we reserve the right to change the channel line up at any time"

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
They can say whatever they like in the contract, but if Indian contract law is similar to English contract law, then an unreasonable clause is invalid.

olisun

My Satellite Setup
, Fibo Gregorian 1.2mtr, Skystar 2
My Location
Hounslow
Some of the broadcasting laws in India don't make any sense...

All the providers are forced to carry the same channels on their platform which leaves less scope for competition.

The STB's for all the providers need to have the same encryption which is no good as if it gets compromised then all the providers are effected.

And another major fact being the shortage of transponders prohibit the broadcasters from adding more channels cause they are forced to carry "the not so great" channels on their platform

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
But who is to say which channels are the "not so great" ones.

One person might love cricket, but the next person might want to watch American comedy shows, and the third might be passionate about Bollywood music soundtracks, a fourth be nuts about Hindi language movies. etc.

olisun

My Satellite Setup
, Fibo Gregorian 1.2mtr, Skystar 2
My Location
Hounslow
that's how you create competition in the market... one provider provides certain channels and the other provider other channels...

And let the people choose the provider rather and force all the channels on the providers / subscribers..