Pc Nerd
Reaction score
Website
www.kentpcrepair.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon
My Location
Tunbridge Wells
I have not looked as i have not ftp yet but the hd wont even spin up but yet there is power getting to it very strange

Going to try a different HD tomorrow and c if that works

it was brought at auction site

katfish

Pc Nerd
Reaction score
Website
www.kentpcrepair.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon
My Location
Tunbridge Wells
Well i tried another hdd a brand new 160gb and still no joy and now its worse as well the TD wont even boot up anymore all i get is bootloader screen winking bird then shut down. With or with out the HDD pluged in.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Well all I can suggest now is for you to upload the original 8Mbit image dated from 22 Dec 2006 from that download site. This is often suggested when there are problems with later third-party images.

If still problems, I would contact the seller to explain that you have a non-working receiver, and demand your money back.

katfish

Pc Nerd
Reaction score
Website
www.kentpcrepair.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon
My Location
Tunbridge Wells
Well I tried to load it but the TD wont boot up unless the HDD is installed?

So I flashed it with the HDD installed and no difference and if I remove the HDD the TD wont boot up again.

So what would cause this? and why would it work with the HDD installed and not work with out it installed and still HDD not visible to TD

Even with the HDD installed i tried to scan for channels as as soon as you click auto scan the TD shuts down.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
An odd problem indeed katfish, One that I can't get my head around unfortunately. I can only suggest that you go to the official TD site's forum and explain your problem there. They'll only answer queries that concern TD's with official images though, and you may have to wait awhile for an answer, as it is infrequently visited these days -

_http://www.triple-dragon-fan.de/board/board.php?boardid=2

katfish

Pc Nerd
Reaction score
Website
www.kentpcrepair.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon
My Location
Tunbridge Wells
I have posted on there i guess wait and c what happens but I have opened a case anyway with the seller but if i can fix it in the mean time I will keep it.

Also on another note are TD still going?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
No, they ceased production a couple or so years ago. There are one or two suppliers that still have them in stock.

katfish

Pc Nerd
Reaction score
Website
www.kentpcrepair.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon
My Location
Tunbridge Wells
Well I have been having a read though the other forum and to me it relates to a weak power supply.

Because as soon as i put any load on it it shuts down also no hdd means there is weak power getting to it volts but not enough amps to power it up.

So when i tested it (not under load all would look good but under load it don't cut the mustard).

So I think I need a new power supply or s/h good one.

Anybody know where i can get a power supply from?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Very unusual for the power supply in the TD to cause problems, but it could be the case.

I can't remember if the output voltages from the supply are printed on the board, but it would be a good idea to check each one to see if go low with / without the HDD connected. It may not be the +5 /+12V to the HDD, but maybe a supply to the IDE data circuitry.

katfish

Pc Nerd
Reaction score
Website
www.kentpcrepair.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon
My Location
Tunbridge Wells
Right i thought i would test my power supply again not under load and i am sure it is breaking down as there is suppose to +5v +12v +24v

On all three voltage feeds i am getting a fluctuating voltage from 4.9v upto 7v so the 24v feed is faulty the 12v feed is faulty and the 5v is going up to 7v

but all are doing the 4.9v to 7v spikes.

also i have had a look at the lid of the TD and it is very brown looks like the PSU has been over heating

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ouch, that does look like a basket case :eek:

If all three outputs are fluctuating, I would guess at a problem in the primary side of the supply, possibly the electrolytics. I don't have access to my box at present, so I don't know the possible villains. You may have to replace them as I don't think power supplies for the TD are easily come by.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
OK, hope you get satisfaction from the seller. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't hold out much chance of obtaining a replacement power supply. Let us know if you do though.

katfish

Pc Nerd
Reaction score
Website
www.kentpcrepair.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon
My Location
Tunbridge Wells
Well I have a price for a replacement power supply Hisat can supply a brand new one for £40+vat +£6.70 for delivery but offer no warranty on this as i would install it.

Or

send the TD to them and its £75+ VAT delivery for returning the TD back £13.50 + VAT and I would get 2 warranty.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
The second choice might be best if they get the box up and running too, and not just plonking in a PS and sending it back untested.

katfish

Pc Nerd
Reaction score
Website
www.kentpcrepair.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon
My Location
Tunbridge Wells
Well I am going to return it to the seller as I don't really want to spend £100 extra on what I have already paid I might as well buy a refurbed one for £169 and get a 3 year warranty plus I can get it in black aswell.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
OK, IMO it's still a great Linux receiver to own, far better build quality than other boxes. Mine's been running every day now for well over five years without a hiccup. Unfortunate that you've got one that's obviously been mistreated in some way, as they always run very cool if given space to breathe.

katfish

Pc Nerd
Reaction score
Website
www.kentpcrepair.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon
My Location
Tunbridge Wells
I agree I had one for about a year and then stupid me sold it and brought something else and I regretted it so went back to TD

All depends on how the case goes but if I get my money back and the seller tells me to keep it I will get the power supply rebuilt

katfish

Pc Nerd
Reaction score
Website
www.kentpcrepair.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon
My Location
Tunbridge Wells
Well my PSU is off to Germany tomorrow to be fixed via a member on the .triple-dragon-fan.de well I have light at the end of the tunnel now :-)