Markjose

Young one with a hobby
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 110 ..... No fixed location
My Location
Monmouth
Hello All,

Been a while since I posted !!! I have now moved into a property with a Garden and have acquired a cheap TD110, however I'm not looking to fixed mount or am I looking to route cables into the property. This setup is a pure hobby and just need some ideas of mounting which don't involve a non pen mount otherwise that is more storage.

I have thought of purchasing a pole or a bit of scaffold and turning it into a bird feeder to keep the misses happy, and also use it to mount the dish which can then be put away. I also remember someone on here who used to use tires to keep the dish upright.

So please get your ideas over to me!

Thanks and will post photos as soon as I get round to doing anything.

Thanks

Mark

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
I've got a concrete filled bucket with a pole embedded in it. A parasol base would do a similar job. There are foldable tripods that are popular with caravaners and campers - they're often for sale used on eBay.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I've seen dishes mounted on trees a few times in the past. Coach bolts are unlikely to do any serious damage on a large trunk.

Do you own a car / van with bull bars or a roof rack ?

Markjose

Young one with a hobby
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Monmouth
Hello, long time no speak.

Surely trees won't work as they are not 100%true!

Yes I do have a car with those properties, how comes?

Thanks

Mark

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
It was me with the tyres, but the location they were in was very very sheltered & I never went bigger than an 80cm on them.

You DO NOT want to try and mount a 1.1m on a tyre - the merest gust of wind & it will go hurtling off across the garden. When I moved to this place I had a 1m lying on the ground whilst doing some renovations to the dish set up. The wind got under it & sent it flying. Fortunately it didnt hit anything important but I was lucky.

Markjose

Young one with a hobby
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Monmouth
It was me with the tyres, but the location they were in was very very sheltered & I never went bigger than an 80cm on them.

You DO NOT want to try and mount a 1.1m on a tyre - the merest gust of wind & it will go hurtling off across the garden. When I moved to this place I had a 1m lying on the ground whilst doing some renovations to the dish set up. The wind got under it & sent it flying. Fortunately it didnt hit anything important but I was lucky.
Thanks will be a few months before I do something however will post photos once I have an Idea. Thanks guys

Markjose

Young one with a hobby
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Monmouth
I've got a concrete filled bucket with a pole embedded in it. A parasol base would do a similar job. There are foldable tripods that are popular with caravaners and campers - they're often for sale used on eBay.
Yes used to use a Bin with concrete and pole sticking out from the ground. Tempted to go back to that however would rather go low profile. Hmmm i will have a think.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes used to use a Bin with concrete and pole sticking out from the ground. Tempted to go back to that however would rather go low profile. Hmmm i will have a think.
Bury most of the bin in the ground & then fill it with concrete? Assuming its not solid bedrock in your garden. Use the pole for hanging baskets or bird feeders when you arent using it for dishes!

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
Parasol base is about as low profile as it gets.

PS with a fixed dish there's no need to worry about the pole being plumb vertical.

Manikm909

Small'ish Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.8M on Edision MIO 4K & GTMEDIA Combo, and CM1.2M on Octagon SF8008
My Location
Kent, UK
I've seen dishes mounted on trees a few times in the past. Coach bolts are unlikely to do any serious damage on a large trunk.

Do you own a car / van with bull bars or a roof rack ?
surely you cant mount a dish onto a car or van!

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Durham
Tree mounted dish:

I see lorry drivers mount dishes on their trucks all the time, to glass using suction cups or on the side-mirror mounts. I've had a zone 2 on the roof bars of my car before. Tow-bar mounts are also available.